New Squarepusher Album

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Taken from warp.net

Squarepusher releases a new album "Ultravisitor" on 8th March.
His seventh album for Warp, Ultravisitor is a full-length epic which Tom has described as his best work yet, and we're inclined to agree with him. Ultravisitor takes the live, freeform, bass elements of Squarepusher's music absolutely to the next level, whilst the rhythm structure and songwriting easily rival the best moments of classic albums like Hard Normal Daddy and Feed Me Weird Things.
The whole album has a very live, personal feel to it - no doubt in part inspired by the phenomenal reactions Tom recieved to his rejuvenated live shows during 2003. (Parts of the album actually sound like live recordings, but not all is as it seems...)

The album is preceded by a promo 12" EP with three tracks - "Squarewindow", "Talk About You and Me" and the album's title track "Ultravisitor". Released on the 26th January, it is available on vinyl through your local independent record shop, and Warpmart.
The first two tracks will also be exclusively available digitally through Bleep.com on high quality MP3.

Going back to the early live bass style makes me feel all tingly inside. This really better not be a disapointment like Do you Know Squarepusher.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Scooba da Bass said:
Going back to the early live bass style makes me feel all tingly inside. This really better not be a disapointment like Do you Know Squarepusher.

Yeah. I find Squarepusher can be a little hit or miss. Saw him live ages ago at The Rocket in Holloway and he was bloody awful.

Go Plastic was awesome though!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Am I right in thinking Squarepusher = Plug?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
nath said:

Don't think so. Although many of these acts work under several aliases so I might be wrong :)

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
nath said:

No, Plug is one of Luke Vibert's alias. Tom Jenkinson works as SP, Wagonchrist, Alroy Road Tracks and Freeman Hardy Willis with Richard D James.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Scooba da Bass said:
No, Plug is one of Luke Vibert's alias. Tom Jenkinson works as SP, Wagonchrist, Alroy Road Tracks and Freeman Hardy Willis with Richard D James.

I thought Wagonchrist was Vibert too?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Scooba da Bass said:
Yes, he is, I have no idea why I listed him under SP, apologies.

No worries. Any idea what Michael Paradinas is up to these days?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
He released Bilious Paths earlier last year, but apart from that as far as I know he's still busy with Planet Mu.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Scooba da Bass said:
He released Bilious Paths earlier last year, but apart from that as far as I know he's still busy with Planet Mu.

Probably a silly question, but is it any good?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
ReActor said:
I'd say that's a good question.

I only say it's a silly question because I've yet to hear anything he's done that's been anything less than amazing. :)

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Gurnox said:
Probably a silly question, but is it any good?

It's not especially inventive, but that's pretty much the only criticism I could level at it. The first couple of tracks are his usual insane jungle beats then he starts bringing in some really nice chord lines and effects. Check out Siege of Antioch if you want an example of what's great about the album.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I just got a promo for this....it's really quite mind blowing. Probably the best bass playing I've ever heard.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Scooba da Bass said:
I just got a promo for this....it's really quite mind blowing. Probably the best bass playing I've ever heard.

So, a good album then :)

Go and buy the Plaid album 'Spokes'. Listening to it at the moment and it's AWESOME!

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Scooba da Bass said:
I love Spokes, Zeal is easily one of the best things they've ever done.

Agreed. I just love the intro track too. The first few bars are just beautiful.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Thread Necromancy!

Just to keep the IDM stuff in a single thread Paradinas' latest full length as Kid Spatula, Meast is out there if you know where to look. It's due out in March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom