TV New Season!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just watched Wandavision Ep 3; really enjoying it - hooked now and really interested to see which way it goes; lots of Marvel foreshadowing (Monica Rambeau and SWORD for example)

NB. American Gods S3 is back on form after the incoherence of S2, and its tracking back to the book (which for once is a bit of a shame because there's a mystery that I already know)

And wasn't this week's Expanse awesome? Real tension-building.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just watched Wandavision Ep 3; really enjoying it - hooked now and really interested to see which way it goes; lots of Marvel foreshadowing (Monica Rambeau and SWORD for example)
So, how into the MCU do you need to be to enjoy Wandavision? Because I'm really not (in that I've only watched probably half of the films and haven't touched the TV shows except The Punisher)...

DaGaffer

So, how into the MCU do you need to be to enjoy Wandavision? Because I'm really not (in that I've only watched probably half of the films and haven't touched the TV shows except The Punisher)...

You don't have to be at all; but the small hints mean it can go off in quite a few directions because the MCU is a bit of a blank canvas post-Endgame. SWORD is an offshoot of SHIELD, so that's one way, Monica Rambeau has a Captain Marvel connection (and in the movies her and Scarlet Witch are both infinity stone-powered) so that's another, then there's the full on magic powers bit and what happened in today's episode leans into both Vision stuff in the comics and different Scarlet Witch stuff that could end up with the Young Avengers. You don't need to know this stuff to watch the show but if you do its quite intriguing. Plus we know Wanda is going to be in Doctor Strange & The Multiverse of Madness so this could have direct links to that as well.

TV shows being properly connected to the movies was the big missed opportunity of the Netflix shows, so this is all quite encouraging.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
With the exception of The Punisher, which I really enjoyed, all the netflix MCU shows were utter crap, it didn't actually matter if they worked with the overall universe or not.

DaGaffer

With the exception of The Punisher, which I really enjoyed, all the netflix MCU shows were utter crap, it didn't actually matter if they worked with the overall universe or not.

I liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones. They both had a crap middle season, but 1 & 3 were great.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Oh, forgot all about Daredevil, yes, I enjoyed that too.

But that Luke cage shit, he couldn't be more wooden if he tried, and Iron fist just brought me out in hives. I got bored with Jessica Jones halfway through season 1, it just appeared to be some sort of sex in the city type stuff. 'lol sex' and all that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Iron Fist was really really shit.

Didn't mind the others. Daredevil and JJ were the best of 'em. Luke Cage was "OK".

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's the same with all of the "Arrowverse" shows (Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, The Flash, Batwoman), every season they do a big crossover between all (or some) of them but some of the shows just don't review well enough to convince me to start watching any of them.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You don't have to be at all; but the small hints mean it can go off in quite a few directions because the MCU is a bit of a blank canvas post-Endgame. SWORD is an offshoot of SHIELD, so that's one way, Monica Rambeau has a Captain Marvel connection (and in the movies her and Scarlet Witch are both infinity stone-powered) so that's another, then there's the full on magic powers bit and what happened in today's episode leans into both Vision stuff in the comics and different Scarlet Witch stuff that could end up with the Young Avengers. You don't need to know this stuff to watch the show but if you do its quite intriguing. Plus we know Wanda is going to be in Doctor Strange & The Multiverse of Madness so this could have direct links to that as well.

TV shows being properly connected to the movies was the big missed opportunity of the Netflix shows, so this is all quite encouraging.
That's what makes it such a shame they ended up giving up on that with agents of shield until that one last one of using ant man to resolve the final season.

I'm really hoping that agent coulson comes back somehow

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
We are about half way through the stand and it is really very awesome so far

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I'm loving Wandavision, but then I love all marvel stuff with the exception of Luke Cage and Iron Fist ( but not in that order).
The Stand just gets better every episode.
Just watched Warrior Nun, just to kill some time and found it to be OK.
No idea what I'm going to watch tomorrow though.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Amazon and I thought it was wank.
I saw on amazon and you need to have an additional sub to something else. Meh

watching Lupin on Netflix. French and dubbed but enjoyable after the first two episodes

Ormorof

FH is my second home

Daredevil and Punisher were the two i couldn't be bothered to finish, watched Iron Fist mostly due to tie in to Defenders (i quite liked Luke Cage and Jessica Jones)

WandaVision so far has been a bit odd but like the ominous bits hope it gives us something juicy :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Fate: The Winx Saga (Netflix)

We watched this over the last 2 days. Imagine Harry Potter in the year 2021 but less childish and more supernatural. Was alright for background noise, curious to what S2 brings. (Only 6 episodes)

Inside the World's Toughest Prisons | Netflix Official Site

We accidentally watched this backwards. We're now on Season 1. Worth the watch from Seasons 5-2. Not a fan of the Irish guy in the first season. Seasons 2-5 are much better.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Fate: The Winx Saga (Netflix)

We watched this over the last 2 days. Imagine Harry Potter in the year 2021 but less childish and more supernatural. Was alright for background noise, curious to what S2 brings. (Only 6 episodes)

Inside the World's Toughest Prisons | Netflix Official Site

We accidentally watched this backwards. We're now on Season 1. Worth the watch from Seasons 5-2. Not a fan of the Irish guy in the first season. Seasons 2-5 are much better.

My favourite part on every prison ep is where he tells the inmates he's been in prison for life himself.

Then they say what for?

And he's like murder........ (I didn't do it though)

They're like sure I bet you did do it.

And he's all pokerface.

DaGaffer

I'm a couple of episodes into It's a Sin and I'm hooked.

I'm struggling to get into it. I think its because they've painted 80s society entirely beige (I assume as a counterpoint to the gay scene we'll start to see as the series unfolds), but I don't really remember it that way. And I know lots of people were narrow minded and/or racist as well back then, but that wasn't my family experience either (my mum didn't turn into a racist until she started drawing a pension, and no-one in my family was ever a homophobe from memory) so I'm finding all the repressive family stuff a bit cliched.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm struggling to get into it. I think its because they've painted 80s society entirely beige (I assume as a counterpoint to the gay scene we'll start to see as the series unfolds), but I don't really remember it that way. And I know lots of people were narrow minded and/or racist as well back then, but that wasn't my family experience either (my mum didn't turn into a racist until she started drawing a pension, and no-one in my family was ever a homophobe from memory) so I'm finding all the repressive family stuff a bit cliched.
I was born in '81 so I don't have a personal frame of reference but it didn't feel that far-fetched. Ritchie's Isle of Wight family was painted as more ignorant yokels than anything ("there's like one <Indian> family") and Roscoe's Nigerian family could well have been trying to sky-fairy the gay out of him. Maybe it's a bit cliched but it's not a large part of the story (especially for Roscoe).

Anyway, I finished it earlier. I thought it was excellent and it's safe to say I was a mess by the time the credits rolled. It definitely gets darker as it progresses, it makes you think how ridiculous it must've sounded in the gay crowd that there was this mysterious virus out there that only targetted them. Great writing, great acting and a great soundtrack too (although that might also be thought of as cliched - they might as well have taken one of the earlier Now That's What I Call Music releases and used that for all the uber-familiar tracks).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We used to call each other gay all the time in the 80s, I wouldn't call it homophobia as such, I doubt we really cared or thought about such things.

But I certainly don't remember anyone at school being openly gay, either because they didn't understand it themselves or through fear of persecution, there was a gay bar in the early 90s, me and a mate popped in when we 15/16, not realising, that was proper eye-opening, the bouncer laughed his arse off when we left. Never drunk a pint quicker without appearing to drink it quickly.

There was also an Indian lad called Shushil or something, as you can imagine he had a wail of a time.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
We used to call each other gay all the time in the 80s, I wouldn't call it homophobia as such, I doubt we really cared or thought about such things.

But I certainly don't remember anyone at school being openly gay, either because they didn't understand it themselves or through fear of persecution, there was a gay bar in the early 90s, me and a mate popped in when we 15/16, not realising, that was proper eye-opening, the bouncer laughed his arse off when we left. Never drunk a pint quicker without appearing to drink it quickly.

There was also an Indian lad called Shushil or something, as you can imagine he had a wail of a time.
Gaylord! :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Gaylord was still very popular when I was a kid in the early-mid 90s. Still gets a run-out in some whatsapp groups every now and again.

Gwadien

Anyone watched The Great Escapists?

Richard Hammond & a bloke from Mythbusters.

It's pretty educational, but I feel like it's ruined by the 'drama' element of it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Anyone watched The Great Escapists?

Richard Hammond & a bloke from Mythbusters.

It's pretty educational, but I feel like it's ruined by the 'drama' element of it.

No, but I will have a look, what channel/site is it on? Loved Mythbusters.

Edit, nm, Amazon prime!

Gwadien

No, but I will have a look, what channel/site is it on? Loved Mythbusters.

Edit, nm, Amazon prime!

There's something about Hammond. He fits nicely into the trio but on his own it's pretty full on and intense, he's always been a bit dramatic when hosting shows but he clearly has a love for science.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There's something about Hammond. He fits nicely into the trio but on his own it's pretty full on and intense, he's always been a bit dramatic when hosting shows but he clearly has a love for science.

Ha, Tory looks like he has lived on a beach since Mythbusters finished!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I liked him in the Stupid of Science

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom