New Proposed Midgard Frontier!

E

Edlina

Nice with lots of new tactical elements but they said they were going to make casual rvr easier, dosn't look like that imo, looks like it's gonna be harder to do "normal" rvr + finding enemies, hard to tell how large the frontier actually is though, seems pretty large and bigger than the current frontiers.

C

Cavex ElSaviour

sounds indeed very nice and thought off :) the idea of having a landing sounds great :) the only thing that disturbs me is that you will either need a big force or a keep on shores to go RvR on the other side.

btw, anyone having D-Day visions about landing parties yet?

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Wonder what they'll do to Emain.

T

the_smurflord

Have to say I love it.

3 mile gates per wall to reduce camping, especially by stealthers.
I love the idea of a ruins area, can imagine that will be a lot like avalon city. Great for stealther run.

Overall, a lot more tactical. Good brains, organisation and leadership will be needed.

This could well keep this game alive.

S

Sparda_soul

swapms that snare as you go through em, new MG and keep layouts, harder relic raids becaue MG is alot closer to relic keep tbh this looks fecking amazing

btw anyone else notice theres 2 dungeons on that map? :)

O

old.Ramas

Looks good so far as it goes.

I still don't think you can truly solve anything without reworking rvr rewards though.

Guess we'll see.

T

the_smurflord

Originally posted by old.Ramas
Looks good so far as it goes.

I still don't think you can truly solve anything without reworking rvr rewards though.

Guess we'll see.

Well they said in their earlier post that they would be redesigning the RA system too. Fingers crossed.

K

Kagato.

Interesting, by the looks of it getting into an enemy frontier will be easier, but does this mean we will have to travel all the way through out own frontiers to get to water transport to finally reach enemy lands?

T

the_smurflord

Originally posted by Kagato.
Interesting, by the looks of it getting into an enemy frontier will be easier, but does this mean we will have to travel all the way through out own frontiers to get to water transport to finally reach enemy lands?

Yes

R

Roo Stercogburn

Looks promising. Thats about all that can be said at this point :)

S

solothores

Some more Information from our Midgard RvR Team Lead:
http://vnboards.ign.com/Realm_of_Midgard/b22182/61240998/?12

If you've somehow missed it, check out:

The Proposed Midgard Frontier

Now, as I understand it this is still very much a fluid thing - it's still a direction, showing where they want to take things, instead of a set-in-stone finalized bit (i.e. anything could change).

One of the things that Mackey specifically told us he is trying to design into this, that it's hard to see (and in fact misleading in a way) on the design map, is that it "never take longer then 10 minutes to get into the action. On average, it should be 3-4 minutes."

Another comment he made was to try to emphasize the importance of the little towers. These are going to play a very interesting role in RvR - they are designed as what seem to be little support bases for groups, and as early warning systems for others. I believe the goal is that groups will tend to fight over the guard towers, while larger groups of groups will fight over the keeps: "The idea behind the towers is that these are small areas of control that can be captured by a solid level 50 group and claimed."

Again I'd like to emphasize that it's in the early stages and nothing is set in stone, but personally I'm very excited about the directions being taken, designing the frontiers primarily for RvR conflicts and strategic sub components.

Please respond to this thread with your thoughts on this. Do you think that the increased strategy will make gank groups more powerful or less powerful? Do you think your ability to "port out and get a group" as a casual player will be impacted? etc. Let me know what concerns you about the new design and what pleases you. And yes, I understand we don't have all the info, so extrapolate or guess where you need to.

Another comment I can share:

"Players will definitely have a method of determining where the action is, as well as a means of getting there within the set time lines."

This is one of the things in the design where the ideas for how this is going to be done look EXTREMELY cool. I really hope they can pull this off, because it will rock. Regardless of if it ends up being as cool as I hope, or just more simple (like current guard spam), it's good to know that's a continued focus. Hopefully this means that you will see less "[Alliance] Bob: Is there any action anywhere tonight?" etc.

C

Cavex ElSaviour

bah, im getting al excited about RvR expansion already :p

hope they will implement int before summer in both us and europe

K

kjel

Personally I think the towers are going to be a bit like the ones in Planetside, or else it's going to be a royal pain in the arse getting to someone else's frontier to defend your new, shiny, claimed tower.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by solothores
Some more Information from our Midgard RvR Team Lead:
http://vnboards.ign.com/Realm_of_Midgard/b22182/61240998/?12
Another comment I can share:

"Players will definitely have a method of determining where the action is, as well as a means of getting there within the set time lines."

This is one of the things in the design where the ideas for how this is going to be done look EXTREMELY cool. I really hope they can pull this off, because it will rock. Regardless of if it ends up being as cool as I hope, or just more simple (like current guard spam), it's good to know that's a continued focus. Hopefully this means that you will see less "[Alliance] Bob: Is there any action anywhere tonight?" etc.
If they do what first popped up in my head... my god that will look nice.

F

Falcon

Aye, I hope and it looks like they're taking a few hints of Planetside, and Planetside is the best game out there for decent player vs player offering skirmishes and large battles. Have always thought moving some of Planetsides ideas over to DAoC would lead to a superb overall game.

As said already I'm guessing also that it'll be like Planetside in that you can port straight to a keep/tower in the frontier that your realm owns.

I'm hoping relics will be something that change hands almost daily also tbh, maybe make it so a relic keep is relatively easy to take once you've managed to push forward and take all the other keeps.

One things for sure though, the new tools available with ToA's master levels are going to fit right into this perfectly. In the current RvR zones MLs like the one to say stop speed for example are pretty easy to avoid, but if people are being forced through canyons they may be left with choices to turn back or fight under the new ML effects.

T

Tesla Monkor

The one thing that worries me a little is this - getting 'straight to where the action is', is going to suck for servers that are not nicely balanced. It's insta-zerg.

F

Flimgoblin

I hope they have something to counter the "zerg" that is Planetside ;) basically everyone flocks to the same place, builds up a big laggy force and it's zerg zerg zerg...

at least it was when last I played. Something to discourage that would be ace :)

C

-chancer-

anyone else thinking Archer's or ranged fighters are going to win over all with this new RvR expansion

K

Kagato.

Originally posted by Falcon

I'm hoping relics will be something that change hands almost daily also tbh, maybe make it so a relic keep is relatively easy to take once you've managed to push forward and take all the other keeps.

Do you really think that is likely looking at the maps? The relic keeps look more heavily fortified then ever with 3 mile gates surrounding it and multiple keeps/towers in the vicinity most of reach are only a stones throw from the relic keep itself, the whole frontier looks designed with 'defense' in mind, sure theres places for enemy forces to land but most of the terrain is defensive-advantage.

Which to me sounds like its going to make Relic Raids harder then ever. Log-out tactics probably wont work now either with so many places for forces to be spotted along with towers as early warning indicators too, so to me it looks like Relic Raids will be more direct and more difficult.

F

Falcon

Originally posted by Kagato.
Do you really think that is likely looking at the maps?
Do you really think I'm phsycic seeing as I posted that BEFORE the maps were released :p ?

F

Flimgoblin

same size as the current frontier - hopefully the layout will mean that an assault that captures all the keeps on the way will have a much better chance at the relics.

Anything that turns Relic Raiding from PvE guard-killing fests into a _playable_ RvR experience would be good.

However there doesn't seem to be much reason to spread the forces out from looking at the map - so 200 versus 200 at the relic keep as per usual may just be it...

They might have more ideas to go along with that though - hope so :)

Users who are viewing this thread