New Pope

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Joseph Ratzinger

Would of added it to the other thread but that went slightly off topic :)

PS. Wikipedia is fast this was updated within 5 minutes of it being announced

rynnor

Rockhound
Woot - the most Conservative Cardinal they could find - John Pauls enforcer and former Hitler youth - Fundamentalism here we come!

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
It does seem like they have chosen him to keep the continuation of the status quo.

Although I doubt he will last long he's 78 and not exactly lead a quiet life so dont expect to many years from him.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
rynnor said:
Woot - the most Conservative Cardinal they could find - John Pauls enforcer and former Hitler youth - Fundamentalism here we come!

Geez... read all the information the link provides - he deserted when he had a chance later in the war. Joining the Hitler Youth was compulsory, so was the draft.

Still, Ratzinger is a radical (he supports Opus Dei for example) and if mankind would just realize that organized religion is a source of bad things bound to happen, this world will be a better place.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
If you mean radical in the sense he likes to piss other people off then yes.

The MSN News webby said:
But he sounded very much the candidate before going into the conclave on Monday, defending orthodox Catholicism and warning the other 114 cardinal electors against following godless modern trends.

"We are moving towards a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognise anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires," he declared at a pre-conclave Mass in St. Peter's Basilica.

Ratzinger's stern leadership of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, the modern successor to the Inquisition, delighted conservative Catholics but upset moderates and other Christians whose churches he described as deficient.

Born in Bavaria on April 16, 1927, Ratzinger was a leading theology professor and then archbishop of Munich before taking over the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in 1981.

In that office, Ratzinger disciplined Latin American "liberation theology" theologians, denounced homosexuality and gay marriage and pressured Asian priests who saw non-Christian religions as part of God's plan for humanity.

In a document in 2000, he branded other Christian churches as deficient -- shocking Anglicans, Lutherans and other Protestants in ecumenical dialogue with Rome for years.

Hopefully he won't last too long and we can than get on with having a major religious figure who will actually help the AIDS situation in Africa for a change.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The AIDS situation would be much improved if certain cretinous African leaders didn't propogate the myth that condoms are evil.

Cheap drugs wouldn't go amiss either.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
guess those that bet on Father Dougal to be pope (1000-1 odds too ) will be dissapointed :p

Tilda

Uncle Sick said:
Geez... read all the information the link provides - he deserted when he had a chance later in the war. Joining the Hitler Youth was compulsory, so was the draft.

Still, Ratzinger is a radical (he supports Opus Dei for example) and if mankind would just realize that organized religion is a source of bad things bound to happen, this world will be a better place.
Obus Daei as in that in Angles and Demons?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The main thing I want to know is is he a catholic? I mean has anyone checked?

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Tilda said:

Opus Dei means 'Word of God' and it's some sort of secret, radical catholic church organization - interesting article here .

Embattle

FH is my second home
No doubt he will continue the tradition of previous pope's.....the act of healing at the same time as killing through indifference, hurrah.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
the da vinci code does mention the opus dei (and I dont think angels and demons does). However the da vinci code doesnt explain that much about the group.

and uncle sick need to register for that article, so does it go further than to mention its secrecy (or in opus dei's words "holy discretion") and that its recruiting policy is abit suspicious?
link to page where you can see mostly responses of people who claim to be ex opus dei or have been approached to be recruited by opus dei. Im saying claim, because there is no real way to check it wether it is true or not.
Also note that the site is rather anti opus dei, so it might not be the best place to find a balanced view of the group.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
It's worth reading since it explains Opus Dei's involvement in the new pope's election and also John Paul's affiliation with them.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
So much for him being God's rep on earth. Did God direct them to vote in a 2/3rds majority or did God help the Ratzinger lobbyists sound super convincing?

What utter bollocks.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
They've just had 1 guy who spent years unable to do basically anything due to various 'old age' symptoms - so they opt for another 80 year old.

Smart move.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Stazbumpa said:
So much for him being God's rep on earth.

Like there ever was one?

Well, unless we count that easy going guy from that 2nd best sold book...what was his name...hesuz or something.

rynnor

Rockhound
Uncle Sick said:

If you ask anyone in Germany what they did in the war its always 'I was forced to join but secretly hated the nazis' or 'I never fired a gun' etc. etc.

Now it strikes me that some people must have supported the Nazis and is it realistic to think that in a time of National fervour during a War held to be right by the general population that a 14 year old boy who was conscripted, seperated from his parents and subjected to indoctrination/propaganda didnt support them???

I think its a nicely written excuse but its not too plausible - I'm not blaming him - 99% of 14 year old boys in this situation would be sucked in by the propaganda but I find all the denials a bit unlikely to say the least...

Turamber

Part of the furniture
old.Tohtori said:
Like there ever was one?

Byzantine Emperors were known as the 13th Apostle, and claimed to be the King of God's Kingdom on Earth. The Pope in Rome couldn't be outdone so claimed a similar title for himself, thus improving the credentials of his own Holy Roman Emperor.

Getting away from the fake history of the Da Vinci code bollocks you can find some interesting, genuine, background on world religions and world history.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
rynnor said:
If you ask anyone in Germany what they did in the war its always 'I was forced to join but secretly hated the nazis' or 'I never fired a gun' etc. etc.

My grandfather was drafted out of school in 1943, when he was 17 years old.
He received infantry training on one of the North Sea islands and was first sent to France, fought during Market Garden (he was in Nijmwegen), then fought in France again and was captured during the end of the war.

He spent a year in French captivity, returned to Germany, met my Grandmother, knocked her up and never got to study medicine as he had planned to do before the war.

Did he ever deny that he shot at people? No. But it haunted him for the rest of his life. I vividly remember him all of a sudden bursting into tears a couple of years ago because of the guilt of having taken lives and the horrors that he had experienced during the war just simply overcame this gentle, educated and nice old man.

Stop stereotyping a whole nation as yes-sayers and willful henchmen...
I am sure you would have gone underground, Rynnor, right?
You would have gone underground, dodged the draft (of course that would have meant that your whole family would have been imprisoned - that practice was called "Sippenhaft". You do something wrong, they can't catch you, so they would go and get your family instead...) and single-handedly changed the political structure...

rynnor

Rockhound
Uncle Sick said:
Stop stereotyping a whole nation as yes-sayers and willful henchmen...
I am sure you would have gone underground, Rynnor, right?
You would have gone underground, dodged the draft (of course that would have meant that your whole family would have been imprisoned - that practice was called "Sippenhaft". You do something wrong, they can't catch you, so they would go and get your family instead...) and single-handedly changed the political structure...

Maybe it did'nt come accross as I meant but you seem to have entirely mistaken my point. I was arguing for some reality against the stereotypes of A. everyone in germany = willing nazi or B. everyone in germany was acting out of fear of a repressive society which they secretly hated - neither of these scenarios can really be true.

As to me - if I was a young German I would probably have joined up willingly and would have no doubt believed in the justice of my cause... I dont believe that those who fought on the German side were monsters anymore than those on the allied side were angels.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Uncle Sick said:
My grandfather was drafted out of school in 1943, when he was 17 years old.
He received infantry training on one of the North Sea islands and was first sent to France, fought during Market Garden (he was in Nijmwegen), then fought in France again and was captured during the end of the war.

Completely off topic... but ... my grandfather was in the Royal Signals attached to the tank corps and served with the British forces during Market Garden (immortalised in the film 'A Bridge Too Far'). Funnily enough he is portrayed in that film, the radio officer who manages to establish communication between the British forces at the 11th hour.

What they didn't show was how he spent most of the battle in an upturned British tank playing cards with the crew!

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
rynnor said:
Maybe it did'nt come accross as I meant but you seem to have entirely mistaken my point. I was arguing for some reality against the stereotypes of A. everyone in germany = willing nazi or B. everyone in germany was acting out of fear of a repressive society which they secretly hated - neither of these scenarios can really be true.

As to me - if I was a young German I would probably have joined up willingly and would have no doubt believed in the justice of my cause... I dont believe that those who fought on the German side were monsters anymore than those on the allied side were angels.

It was that part:

that got me going. Germans still get stereo-typed alot, so I felt inclined to make a point. Nothing personal, Rynnor.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Turamber said:
Byzantine Emperors were known as the 13th Apostle, and claimed to be the King of God's Kingdom on Earth. The Pope in Rome couldn't be outdone so claimed a similar title for himself, thus improving the credentials of his own Holy Roman Emperor.

Getting away from the fake history of the Da Vinci code bollocks you can find some interesting, genuine, background on world religions and world history.

Oh i actually meant that, like there ever was one REAL rep for the big dude up there that so many believe in. Not that people don't stop claiming to be one ofcourse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom