New phone

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
So I have this phone and I've had it for about 4½ years now and it has been really great! I've dropped it an insane amount of times, but still works like a charm. I can text and call, which is what my needs have been so far

But now I'd like to get a phone which can help me plan my week and work with excel to make it all a little bit easier. Easy internet access would also be a bonus. I'm not looking for an iPhone. If it could contain an mp3 player aswell it'd be very nice as I'm sort of getting fed up with iTunes and my iPod

So guys.. Which phone should I wish for this Christmas? :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's also not that good a phone, Nokia lost the way long ago.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
The htc hero is obviously the right choice for you - It's on the same level as Iphone, and you have to use itunes on a Iphone afaik.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
bananaphone.jpg

CorNokZ

Never liked the screen on the Bananaphone

CorNokZ

I don't want an iPod and I don't live in the Netherlands

But thanks

Olgaline

FH is my second home
thats an awsome phone "your old one"
my gf had that phone for a while, it even survived a trip in
the washer...and it still worked for a good while after, although ultimatly it
did kill it off.

I use the N95 and I'm quite happy with it tbh.
with the new upgrades, I've seen nothing from anynew phone that's
given me any good reason to switch.

CorNokZ

It's probably good and all Olga, but the n95 is so fugly :(

Olgaline

FH is my second home
well if you basicly want the same model, just newer...
that would be the 7020 ?

always kinda viewed flip phones as kinda beeing chick phones..but well, each to his own.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Get the hero it does excel ... although I'm not sure how well. Comes with a excel file reader installed, and more apps available for download. Syncs with google calender to help keep you organised. Mp3 player. Free update to Android 2.0 and beyond (2.0 has the free google sat nav).

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you are set on Android take a look about before jumping at the Hero. Samsung have released the Galaxy if the screen is anything like on the Omnia 2 it is stunning. Specs equal to the Hero after a quick glance and no ugly chin :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The galaxy had underwhelimg reviews, the Sony Android offering looks more promising, but Sony have a habit of never living up to their hype and promises with phones.

Nate

FH is my second home
Bacon Phone?

bacon_case03.jpg

I got a blackberry curve, it has a calendar that you can put memo's in but I don't think it has office, unless you can download app's for it(I haven't tried) but it does have a qwerty keyboard! :O

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The iphone is going to be released by orange on Pay as you go next year for under £100

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
What about Nokia 3210?
What about the old Nokia 6310i?
I've got one as my "backup in case of the end of the world" phone... it's been dropped, mistreated and generally abused yet it still works perfectly fine.

Something to bear in mind is that if you get a phone with a "proper" browser, you can use Google Docs online for all your spreadsheet needs. If you get a Windows Mobile phone, it comes with a cut down version of Excel.

I am personally going to be walking into Vodafone in the next few days to get one of these...
HTC-HD2.jpg

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Don't go anywhere near an LG phone. 2nd worst phone maker after apple.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Never ever buy a phone with Windows Mobile on it. Mine has that POS and I can't tell how many times I've cursed that shitty OS. Synch errors, crashes while phoning, unable to connect after shutdown due to an empty battery (meaning I had to restart the phone 1-3 times), no way of configuring the auto correct features when writing text messages, etc.

Just save yourself a lot of time and anger and buy something else.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Just to add a different view my main phone is a HTC Touch Diamond 2 running WinMo 6.5 and it is an excellent phone. People moan about WinMo and how unfriendly it is to use but most manufactures are like HTC now where they run a UI over the top of WinMo so you have to go down a view levels to even see default Windows. My phone has only crashed once when i was installing iGo and i have never had sync problems either.

One thing i notice from other forums is a lot of people slag off WinMo 6.5 when they are trying a HD2 Rom on a 2 year old phone. Its like taking a ghost image of a Windows 7 machine and restoring to a 98 laptop while writing drivers for yourself it will never work. I would advice giving a device like the HD 2 a fair shot if you have any stores that let you have a hands on trial with the phone.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Never ever buy a phone with Windows Mobile on it. Mine has that POS and I can't tell how many times I've cursed that shitty OS. Synch errors, crashes while phoning, unable to connect after shutdown due to an empty battery (meaning I had to restart the phone 1-3 times), no way of configuring the auto correct features when writing text messages, etc.

Just save yourself a lot of time and anger and buy something else.
For the sake of balance, I've had 4 WinMo devices in the last 6 years. I agree that WinMo 4 and 5 weren't exactly stable, but v6 and v6.5 are far more stable on current handsets. I also use Excel and TomTom frequently so maybe that shows my bias.

To flip the point about texting around, I can't be doing with T9 prediction on my old Nokia. It took me a while to work out how to disable it, and I suspect it's the same for you with your WinMo handset.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
For the sake of balance, I've had 4 WinMo devices in the last 6 years. I agree that WinMo 4 and 5 weren't exactly stable, but v6 and v6.5 are far more stable on current handsets. I also use Excel and TomTom frequently so maybe that shows my bias.

To flip the point about texting around, I can't be doing with T9 prediction on my old Nokia. It took me a while to work out how to disable it, and I suspect it's the same for you with your WinMo handset.

My phone uses WinMo 6 and I'm not the only one having problems with that OS. I'm glad I only had synch errors, as a friend of mine had a phonesync delete all his Outlook entries … not good.

I also dislike the way the configuration menus are arranged, reducing the handling even more.

Before I had a rather simple Samsung mobile and I really loved that thing. The only downside was the missing synch option with my computer … so I made the mistake of buying a WinMo smartphone. First I was kinda happy with it, but once the problems started I got more and more annoyed.

Tbh I'm really looking forward to next year when the iPhone will (hopefully) become available without a contract here in Germany. I guess Android is a nice option as well, given it's open source. Same goes for OpenMoko, once they get it to work properly ;)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sounds like your friend deleted all of the emails on the phone then synced rather than removing the sync in activesync so the phone was just doing as its told.

Problems with layouts ect are more down to UI than OS on my HTC i need to go quite deep in most common settings to touch WinMo.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
I'd strongly recommend a htc hero.

I've been a WinMo fanboy for years and years (starting with the original xda right up until an xperia x1 prior to hero) however I've been astounded by how reliable, fast and smooth android is.

Despite the interior on the hero being essentially the same as the xperia, the OS is so much slicker than WinMo it's silly.

Awesome apps, free nav, solid exchange support etc.

a lot less money than an iphone too....

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Does the HD2 have built-in GPS?

You have to shell out something like £80 for the Tom-Tom app on iphone, but according to the Gadget Show it performed really well.

What about radio on the HD2 ? Or do you need to connect to the internet to listen to radio on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom