New PC - case & general advice

Twist

Fledgling Freddie
Well I've finally decided to upgrade and am specing myself a new PC, so far I've pretty much decided on:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4400CDBOX) (CP-127-AM)
Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-111-AS)
Corsair 2GB DDR Value Select PC3200 CAS3.0 Kit (2x1GB) (VS2GBKIT400C3) (MY-080-CS)
Leadtek GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-065-LT)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 250GB 6L250S0 SATA 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-021-MD)
Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU (CA-009-TG)

Plus the usual extra's (DVD Drive etc) ofc :)

What I'm after is advice on a decent case (would be nice if it was less than £100) and any general comments on what I've picked. The whole lot will come to roughly £1500 which is a LOT of money for me so I don't want to do anything stupid :p

Also the GT version of the GFX card is about £100 cheaper than the GTX one - is the difference actually worth it?

I'm keeping my existing machine so storage (250GB + 250GB external drive) is not a problem and this is the main reason I didn't both with 2 SATA drives & RAID etc. The MB gives me the option of a 2nd GFX card in SLi mode and up to 4GB RAM in the future (way, way in the future when my credit card recovers :fluffle: ) so I reckon I'm future-proofish (as much as you can be) for at least a couple of years :clap:

What do you think?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
If your wanting some really good advice I'd start by asking on a tech forum, not a gaming one. I've been using the OCUK forums for a while and to be honest they're a great bunch of helpful geeks (like me!)

clicky clicky

They spec machines etc constantly so give them a go :)

PS I like your choices, seems like a powerful PC you could upgrade for a few years at least - never a bad thing!

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Aluminium, with plenty of space so air can circulate, is the way to go. Ideally with 12" fan slots (they move alot more air at lower rps than 8" fans, thus they are more silent). A side fan is good as well, even though it adds to the noise level. A top fan isnt needed at all, but a venting hole on the top is nice (can cover with mesh to prevent that dust gets in that way).
Additionally, if you are gonna move things around inside the case and/or upgrade often etc a motherboard tray on a slide is a nice thing to have (i.e. just drag out the plate the mobo is mounted on and you can access everything alot easier). You might also want a removable HD cage for the same reason. I was sure glad i had those features last time i had comp troubles :)

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
i wouldnt upgrade for a few years something big is happening but then thats me :)

Himse

FH is my second home
My Pc Ownz U!

4.8 dual core =) xD
300 gb hd
2 x 256mb gfx cards :eek:
whole load of other random stuff :eek:

Twist

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:
If your wanting some really good advice I'd start by asking on a tech forum, not a gaming one. I've been using the OCUK forums for a while and to be honest they're a great bunch of helpful geeks (like me!)

I'll have to give them a try :)

Kami said:
PS I like your choices, seems like a powerful PC you could upgrade for a few years at least - never a bad thing!

Now that's what I like to hear :clap:

Fana said:
Aluminium, with plenty of space so air can....... I was sure glad i had those features last time i had comp troubles

All good advice but I do understand the basics, what I'm really looking for is someone to recommend a specific case :touch:

Conchabar said:
i wouldnt upgrade for a few years something big is happening but then thats me

A few years seems a long time to wait....

Himse said:
My Pc Ownz U!

I'm sure your mother is very proud :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom