Science New Leukemia Treatment

rynnor

Rockhound

Heh - classic small trial hype - we started with 14 patients and some arent dead yet after 3 years - not sure how that justifies his claim of 7 years additional life?

What he said about that other drug being worth over a billion dollars because it provides an extra few weeks is kinda pathetic. Presumably billed as a wonder drug so that people will demand it...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I find your negativity offensive. I didn't hear seven, I heard 'several' years of life.

7 out of 16 have no cancer after nearly 4 years.

I lost my cousin to glioblastoma, she was dead in 6 months, she was almost completely paralysed for about half of that with no bladder control. This vaccine has people walking, talking and living their lives after several years with an awesome quality of life. That's massive given that most die in around 12 months with a fair chunk of that 12 months spent wasting away.

Surely that's something worth trialling on a much larger population?

rynnor

Rockhound
I find your negativity offensive. I didn't hear seven, I heard 'several' years of life.

It's not negativity its cynicism and with good reason - they have been talking about being close to miracle cures for cancer since as far back as I can remember.

48 seconds in - sounds like seven to me?

But that vid is aimed at drumming up new investment in the company - its also been cut from whatever the guy originally said so consider it to be out of context.

Of course they should trial it on a larger scale - they wouldnt get a license on 14 people anyway - I'd bet my house the larger scale results will not be as good though.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
It's not negativity its cynicism and with good reason - they have been talking about being close to miracle cures for cancer since as far back as I can remember.

Noone is pretending it's a miracle cure for cancer. Granted, it's only 16 people but the impact on an always terminal brain cancer is enough to progress.

Given that chemoradio treatments for brain cancer are a complete waste of time, it's already proving to be a massive step forward; not a miracle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom