New Laptop

Noli

Fledgling Freddie
So im planing to getting a new laptop put dont know much about them , someone told me that this one is pretty good http://www.ciao.co.uk/Fujitsu_Siemens_AMILO_Pa_1510__6558024

Can enyone say the goods and the bads for this and also could i play games like Oblivion with decent graphics etc ? Thanks in advance

PS:Thats not the site im planning on buying , just for you to see the specs of the lappy

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
You'd do better with a Merom based lappy. X1100 graphics are very poor aswell.

Realistically for playing games on a lappy you need to look at a high spec/expensive one. Like an XPS or alienware, Rock extreme etc.

And they're shit expensive :D

Noli

Fledgling Freddie
Okay, so the graphics card isnt that good, put would it do the job ? Im basicly looking something between 650£ - 700£ , so not planning much on spending on the lappy, just that i could play some games on it, play some games and suft the net.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Im not familiar with the specs of that card, but from what ive seen of oblivions benchmarks I wouldnt lay any money on a laptop perfoming ok unless you get something really special for a video card.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
My laptop is ok, (Dell Inspiron 6000 with X300 graphics), or at least was once upgraded to 2Mb Memory. Still getting occasional crashes, which I'm trying to iron out (in Camelot/Frontiers), but only once in 7 hours yesterday, which I can live with. If I was buying again I think I'd go for a Nvidia graphics, due to the better drivers (in my opinion). Once upgraded to 2Mb memory, though, it's playable in RvR (didn't get inc lag), and in ML zergs. I think high memory is essential, as you don't want to be loading from hard drive if possible, as they are so slow on laptops, so want to minimise page file usage.

Darzil

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
Ah I guess you must be using the ascii based version of the daoc client?

Hmm, I'd love one of those, could craft over a mobile phone or something.

Ok, 2Gb - I hate monday mornings.

Darzil

Noli

Fledgling Freddie
Well,im not looking to play games on max graphical settings enyway, was just wondering if it could actually run the game good enought to play it decent :)

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Noli said:
Well,im not looking to play games on max graphical settings enyway, was just wondering if it could actually run the game good enought to play it decent :)

if you can do some research on that video card inside it, find out what its roughly comparable to, then we can compare against listed benchmarks and see what fps you might get in theory...

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Noli said:

I think your chancing of getting anything other than on-board graphics in that price range is relatively slim ( And if you do its going to be at the expense of something else). Despite the odious press releases by the GPU companies and intel, none of the current onboard solutions are even remotely in the same league as a standalone card. A graphically intense game like oblivion may run on a cheap lappy but it will be very stuttery and look real bad.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Seriously, if you wanna play games on it Dell XPS. Have one myslef and it ROX! Flight Sim X with all feathures on Max 1600 x 1400 no frame lag at all. Superb build quality and I just love it.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Seriously, if you wanna play games on it Dell XPS. Have one myslef and it ROX! Flight Sim X with all feathures on Max 1600 x 1400 no frame lag at all. Superb build quality and I just love it.

Great lappy but over the top for some, a mate has one and hes doesn't play any games that out perform my inspiron 6000.

XPS Is great if u want the newest games highest rez best frame rate etc etc other than that it's an over kill.

Nice lappy but not required for average gamers IMO.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Mojo said:
Great lappy but over the top for some, a mate has one and hes doesn't play any games that out perform my inspiron 6000.

XPS Is great if u want the newest games highest rez best frame rate etc etc other than that it's an over kill.

Nice lappy but not required for average gamers IMO.

Agreed, but as laptops are harder to upgrade its better to go for best you can at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom