New Laptop Suggestions

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
800 quid to a grand (max). Hopefully much nearer to the 800 quid than the grand.

Want something with a decent sized screen and decent storage. Gonna be creating reports with lots of pictures in so something with a proper graphics card in with some proper memory attached is a big bonus - but not essential.

I wish I could say its for me, but it's for a mate.

Any suggestions oh knowledgeable people? :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
800 quid? Really?

Are there any other reasons for spending that much? Even with the reports+pictures requirements, 400-600 would probably get him more than he needs.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
he either wants a funky skinny/slim one ala apple type one or he craves gaming:)

dell xps range or hp voodoo tho bear in mind we are close to xmas and everyone will drop thier prices to notch up sales pissyworld and direct sellers like dell/hp/leonovo etc

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
800 quid? Really?

Are there any other reasons for spending that much? Even with the reports+pictures requirements, 400-600 would probably get him more than he needs.

Yep. It's going to be his primary machine so a large screen's a must IMHO, cheap ones are stuck with 15-inchers. :)

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Is this going to be a desktop replacement affair or is portability a big factor? I had a 17 incher a while back and whilst the big screen was nice it didn't half weigh a bit :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Desktop replacement. No point him getting a piddly little thing as he's not got a "main" PC at home. It's gotta last him a while as well so a powerful one will have a bit more longevity.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nobody know? I'm gonna advise a Dell for him prolly, as they're decent enough. :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I hear good things about high end Dells. I don't have much experience with expensive laptops though as it's so rare that anyone needs to spend so much. All I can say is HP make lovely machines, Toshibas are decent and Sony's are overpriced.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would go with a Dell too I love the new HP's the EliteBook and Envy range are seriously nice looking machines and very good from what i have tried but the Dell will out perform them for the money.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I think my HP pro book is lovely, I'd still recommend having a look at laptops.co.uk as they have a lot of range to compare.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Tell him to have a gander at what Samsung have to offer. I've had an R560 for about 14 months now and it has been pretty much flawless. Only a "piddly" 15" of which you speak (I always though any bigger than 15" was deeply capatalist hence why I didn't bother) but I've got 4 gig of Rammage and a Geforce thingy doing the graphics. It was 600 quid iirc. I believe the R720's etc have a good spec at a good price.

HP's and Dell's smell of poo so I wouldn't bother, Toshiba are quite nasty and Acer etc are a joke. So failing the Samsung have a Sony.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dells do indeed smell of poo, but are good. Sony's are overpriced too. But good tip about the Samsung - I've just looked up the R720 and it's pretty neat. Would leave him enough cash for an external storage solution too. Cheers :)

Mophead

Loyal Freddie
I got a custom built one from OCUK last January as a desktop replacement, I was really happy with it till I spilt beer on the keyboard :(

(Although thankfully its just the keyboard thats broke, so I can use an external one).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Keyboards are usually pretty easy to swap out on laptops - have you contacted OCUK to ask if you can get a replacement board for it?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
very easy to fix this cant remeber which forums i read a year or so ago, but someone got a e-machines replacement kb and used that on these

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom