Film New Harry Potter (Spoilers)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Went to see the new Harry Potter with t'bird t'other day. Enjoyed myself.

They're developing the darker look as they go along to fit with the supposed more adult audience (something Lucas should have done with the new Star Wars' - fuck the "U" cert). Some of the camerawork was annoying tho - they're obviously trying to keep the frame focussed on whoever's talking at the moment, but at the expense of failing to show the richness of the sets. I'm pretty sure I can figure out what I'm supposed to be watching by myself, without the director making sure I couldn't watch anything else in the scene by whacking it into fuzz-land.

And:

Anyone read the book? The bit where Dumbledore gets p00ned by Snape is preceded by a nice crescendo of action with stoodents fighting Bellatrix and a few crones (Fenrir). Builds the tension nicely until beardy fluffs it.

Not in the film tho. They get back from the inferi. Malfoy turns up, starts to girl it. Bellatrix et al turn up unopposed, watch Snape blow sandals off the roof and then merrily fuck off.

Epic anti-climax IMHO. No action pay-off for quite a talky film :(

The attempted "hits" on Dumbledore don't get much screen time either. Cursed bird with the necklace "gift" scene happens where she nearly croaks it - kind of integral to the plot - hardly gets talked about. In fact, that side of the story is rather underplayed.

I guess they could fix the above with a special edition and, say, another 20 mins of film. But they'd be cynical fucks if they did...

.... discuss? :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
800 page book into 2 1/2 hour film; something's got to give. Also bear in mind they're splitting the last book into two movies; I expect some hangover from this one to go into the next.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i'll be honest i was let down by it

they totally skimmed over the half blood prince part of it all, didnt feel important at all. It was too focused on the love stories.

Was great to see dumbledore finally open up a can.

I wish Helena Bonham Carter could have had more, she is brilliant

russell

FH is my second home
Just read the book again as going to see the film this week. Hmmm interesting comments. Ill let you know what I think...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I only watched like 40 mins of the film and flicked it off, just meh.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Yep I watched it last week and I thought it was an ok film. If they made the ending last 10-15mins longer with a better fight I wouldve liked it more :p but I guess its that thing when films arent as good as the books as they cant fit it all in. I just hope the last 2 are better to do the book justice.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I liked the film, but it was a shame to not see these parts in the film.
1) The prime minister's talking, you also find out Rufus Scrimgeour is the new Minister of Magic but I dont think they reference this in the book.

2) Amelia Bones is supposed to be a pretty shit hot magician. She is killed by Voldemort (or they at least suspect it's him). This was one of the 2 murders commited in the muggle world iirc. If she was shit hot, it would have been great to see Voldemort fight her. He's the bad ass but he cant beat Harry due to how the story was written. This is fair enough, but Amelia was someone who could die, so it would be good to see the bad guy beating someone.

3) The scene running up to Dumbledore being killed was a let down like Scouse said. Also iirc when the dark wizards are all escaping, Hagrid goes nuts and runs after them. Because he's half giant he is very resistant to their magic and I seem to remember them not being able to kill him, but they have to escape whilst throwing all mannger of spells at him to slow him down etc.

4) Do spiders shrink when they die? Aragog was tiny compared to that behemoth from the 2nd/3rd film or whenever it was.

5) Voldemorts past, his parents and his brother who could only speak parseltongue etc, also he got the ring off his mum didn't he? Why oh why did they not show more of his past!

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Further plot spoilers contained so don't read unless you have read the books.

I guess they didn't show those bits due to the time constraints, however they were some of the most awesome aspects to the book, especially learning about the relationship between his parents Merope and Tom and his relationship with his grandfather Marvolo sadly missing.

I really feel without understanding the history those watching the film gain little understanding as to where Voldemorts hatred of muggles / half breeds comes from.

I really missed the battle in the school and felt a little robbed as they gave us nothing uplifting in return for the death of Dumbledore. Also I wanted to see peado Fenrir make the audience squirm with his despicable ways.

Some vital detail was left out: Where he hid the book and what it was near, also iirc Dumbledores wand was in his office when Harry was in there we need to see it buried with him or things that come later will make even less sense :p. God forbid they destroy that plot line.

They really could have done with splitting this book in half as well as book 7, as some of this stuff is completely integral to the plot.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
They really could have done with splitting this book in half as well as book 7, as some of this stuff is completely integral to the plot.

I think that wouldve been a decent idea, 2 films maybe a bit shorter but they can contain more then. and I agree with bahu's points as usual ( im sure he's reading my mind sometimes :D )

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Further plot spoilers contained so don't read unless you have read the books.

Some vital detail was left out: Where he hid the book and what it was near, also iirc Dumbledores wand was in his office when Harry was in there we need to see it buried with him or things that come later will make even less sense :p. God forbid they destroy that plot line.

Yoni,
Please can you elaborate on the part about the book. I seem to remember something about this in the book, but I cant remember :-(

Also yeah, the whole wand thing seems a bit strange

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I think that wouldve been a decent idea, 2 films maybe a bit shorter but they can contain more then. and I agree with bahu's points as usual ( im sure he's reading my mind sometimes :D )

*BWAHAHAHA* :p

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Yoni,
Please can you elaborate on the part about the book. I seem to remember something about this in the book, but I cant remember :-(

Also yeah, the whole wand thing seems a bit strange

It turns out that dumbledore's wand was infact one of the deathly hallows for a period of time, the Elder wand. as he defeated Grindelwald. So voldermort tracks this wand down as does harry. Voldermort gets to it first and cracks open dumbledores casket to get the wand (of course he doesnt realise that malfoy dis-armed dumbledore so he kills snape thinking he is the master of the wand now)

EDIT: think I mis-read about what you couldnt remember nm about it.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Hehe Madmaxx you're right, I wanted to know about the other thing :p

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Harry hid the potions book in the room of requirement next to Ravenclaw's diadem.... described in HBP as an 'old discoloured tiara

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
When I was in the line to buy the last book there was so many people dressed up it actually looked like I was waiting for the Hogwarts train. Queued up from 11:00 till about 3:00am and they had this van going up and down the line giving ppl drinks etc as the line was so long :p Funny seeing all the in their pointed hats and wands and I'm in this chavvy QPR hoody as it's the warmest thing to wear hehe

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I went to see this today and I was unfortunately rather disappointed.

I felt the love scenes were a bit childish and it took away too much precious time which could have deepened the plot and not missed so much of the book out.

It really saddened me because the opening was awesome and I was hoping to see the Death Eaters move more and more into the muggle world; afterall, this was is the uprising of Voldemort. I agree with you guys aobut the last scene. That was fuckin awful. Dumbledore dies; Harry gets shaken off with a fuckin 'stupify' and all of the children put their wands into the air to get rid of the clouds. How boring.

It did however make me laugh, so props on that. But tbh dark > humor

To be honest, the best film for me remains Order of the Phoenix, the directing for that was sheer awesome and the fight scene at the end was nothing less than fantastic.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Oh and whoever said Helena Botham Carter is a fantastic actor is so right!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think that "Mad" is easy to act tbfh. Hence Brad Pitt's best movie being 12 monkeys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom