new graphics card help

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
afternoon
my pooter needs a new gfx card, between £100-200 PCI-Express
was browsing novatech and found these 2 options
Novatech NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCI Express Graphics Card - Retail : nov-88gt5
Novatech GeForce 8800GTS 320MB HDCP Enabled Dual DVI PCI Express (500MHz Core Clock) (1600MHz Memory Clock) (1200MHz Shader Clock) : nov-88gts3
im guessing the second is better?

not very good at the internals so any help is welcome please, and not save up more money to buy an even better cos i am a poor student so this is all i can stretch:p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yep the GT, uses 50watts less power under full load as well so you save more money on the electricity bill. ;)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
afternoon
my pooter needs a new gfx card, between £100-200 PCI-Express
was browsing novatech and found these 2 options
Novatech NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCI Express Graphics Card - Retail : nov-88gt5
Novatech GeForce 8800GTS 320MB HDCP Enabled Dual DVI PCI Express (500MHz Core Clock) (1600MHz Memory Clock) (1200MHz Shader Clock) : nov-88gts3
im guessing the second is better?

not very good at the internals so any help is welcome please, and not save up more money to buy an even better cos i am a poor student so this is all i can stretch:p

Both should be fine really, I would go for the first one given the choice, I have the second choice one in at the moment though and it runs anything on full graphics with no problems so far at all - crysis beta, cs source, supreme commander, new operation flashpoint all run really really well.

Would guess you'll get better performance with the second but doubt there will be alot in it unless you're running games in super-high res.

I actually ordered mine from novatech too :D

Laddey

FH is my second home
We havn't learned(is that a word?) anything about graphics cards in college, i'm facinated by them though.

Graphics Cards and BIOS make me horny irl, don't know why but i can't wait to learn about them. Does that make me weird?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
We havn't learned(is that a word?) anything about graphics cards in college, i'm facinated by them though.

Graphics Cards and BIOS make me horny irl, don't know why but i can't wait to learn about them. Does that make me weird?

No, just a repressed homosexual... :D :p ;)

Dukat

Resident Freddy

If I was you I wouldnt wait for college to teach you! Learn yourself, far better imo, its the way I did it at college and found things much easier for it later on.

Video card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BIOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia will teach you the basics of most things if you are at a level to understand what the people have written, some of the more advanced subjects on there are way above what I can really understand, but the basics I can get to grips with.

Seeing as I tend to have nothing to do at work for hours at a time wikipedia is the only real way to keep the small amount of sanity I have left! :D

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH

So would it turn you on if I said I wanted to receive a download from your hard drive?

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for this thread. :) I've been thinking of getting me a new card as well, to replace my current 7600 GS. Would you guys say it would be better to wait until after Christmas for prices to fall on the 8800GT?

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
bought a BFG 8800 GTS OC2 2 months ago and really happy with it. Was talking with people about the different 8800 and they said go GT/GTS the others just expensive, and after a chat with a guy at Intel he advised not go over 512 MB memory more is just throwing money away due to the architecure on the card, more memory can slow the card down.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Thanks for this thread. :) I've been thinking of getting me a new card as well, to replace my current 7600 GS. Would you guys say it would be better to wait until after Christmas for prices to fall on the 8800GT?

The GT is due a price drop but it could be March before it happens as this card is a real cashcow at the moment for retailers.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Wait some days in case u decide for the 8800GT.

The new row of cards will come with an improved heatsink+fan which supposedly will fix some heat/noise issues with the card.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Wait some days in case u decide for the 8800GT.

The new row of cards will come with an improved heatsink+fan which supposedly will fix some heat/noise issues with the card.

Wouldn't this new variant of the card be more expensive then? I'm on a rather tight budget, and it took som serious looking around for info before deciding not to go with a lower grade card.

Laddey

FH is my second home
So would it turn you on if I said I wanted to receive a download from your hard drive?

Haha, your mod skills turn me on. Knowing you have the power big boy, dominate me.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Nah he would much prefer you to empty your FIFO buffer all over his face! :D :p ;)

Pffft, the last time I tried to burn you, you got a buffer underrun and I had to reset my input device from your port. :(

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Wouldn't this new variant of the card be more expensive then? I'm on a rather tight budget, and it took som serious looking around for info before deciding not to go with a lower grade card.

GTS is pretty good for what it is, also second hand GTX's will be pretty cheap because of the GT

kirennia

Part of the furniture
GT all the way. I'm willing to guess that it'll still be a viable card for quite some time and by the time it starts to underperform, buying a second one wont be expensive anymore so you'll be able to double up anyway.

No real reason to go for the GTS anymore and the GTX is just for people with silly money to spare for something not all that much better. You could almost buy 2 GT's for the price of one GTX at the moment...

As for the heat issues with the card, buying another fan wont cost that much should it become a big issue for you; it all kind of depends where you have your computer and which country you're in I guess. Just it's not really one for overclocking by much, if at all. Noise issues as someone mentioned, just turn your speakers up ^^

Bahumat

FH is my second home
8800 GT is better than the current 8800 GTS because of the architecture iirc, something to do with how it runs outperforms the GTS. Plus it's cheaper.

However

December 11th is the re-release of the 8800 GTS and this has the new structure/architecture etc etc so it will outperform a 8800GT.

You picked a bad time to buy as after xmas the 8800 GT will have to go down in price otherwise everyone will buy the 8800GTS

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
8800 GT is better than the current 8800 GTS because of the architecture iirc, something to do with how it runs outperforms the GTS. Plus it's cheaper.

However

December 11th is the re-release of the 8800 GTS and this has the new structure/architecture etc etc so it will outperform a 8800GT.

You picked a bad time to buy as after xmas the 8800 GT will have to go down in price otherwise everyone will buy the 8800GTS

Might hold out until after X-mas then after all... :) I've survived over a year on my 7600 GS so another month won't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom