New GOA quests

N

ning

Not the News, but some news !
[2003-11-06]

New quests

As we announced in some previous Friday news, since the 1.60 we are able to create our own quests. We are thus going to offer you new permanent quests, at more or less regular intervals, in addition to the current events.

Creating new quests is not as easy as it sounds ; it requires a lot of scripting and testing. We also have other constraints : we have to use already existing content, as we don't have access to Mythic artists/developers, and we can't create unique textures for our different monsters/npcs.
Therefore, we will focus more on the background and the "fun-factor" of the quests, and try to introduce various possibilities in them.

The quests specific to the European servers are easily identifiable in game, as when you will be given the choice to accept the quest, the message will systematically be : "Do you accept this quest ? [GOA quest]".Be ready for some very "different" encounters and situations if you accept the quests, everything can happen, even you failing it.

More seriously, we decided to focus on investigation and reflection, providing different levels of difficulty for different solutions. You will have several ways to solve a GOA quest, simple ones, indirect ones and completely obscure ones too. Just clicking on the key words is often a 'simple' way to finish a quest. However, if you want to find hidden bonuses, or to gain some faction toward a certain npc, you'll have to read between the lines. Some npcs will answer to not-underlined key words, others are open to negotiation, and some can be tricked. Apparent keywords are just the things obvious to say to npcs, but in many cases, you will be able to link some background dialogs to others, and find hidden solutions. Finally, it is not impossible that the quest, and the solution you've found, have some impacts on your future relations with some npcs…

To conclude, when you start a GOA quest, take your time to do it, take your time to read the different information at your disposal. There is no definite good way to solve a quest, there are different ways to solve the problems your character encounters. After all it depends on your character, his motivations and his background…

The first three quests available have quite simple plots, but the mechanisms explained above are present, the objective here being for you and for us to familiarize with this system. Here are the first two :

Albion

* Quest name : A little service
* Pre-requisite : lvl 12 minimum
* Starting point : Lethantis (Campacorentin forest)

Midgard :

* Quest name : Fylgia
* Pre-requisite : lvl 21 minimum
* Starting point : Fort Veldon (Vale of Mularn)

Finally, and it's a first, we propose for Hibernia a quest specifically dedicated to the crafters.

Hibernia

* Quest name : The Alabaster Tree

* Pre-requisite : lvl 20 minimum and woodworking at 600 minimum
* Starting point : Inis Carthaig (Lough Gur)

If possible, and as far as there is a realistic reason for them to do so, the criers of the main cities should be informed of the GOA quests.
Remember that there are no obligations to do these quests ; you won't miss any "crucial" item by not doing them. But if you're looking for fun and novelty, and if reward is not your only motivation, do not hesitate.

If you encounter any kind of problem with one of these quests, do not hesitate to tell us via the customer support, giving us a maximum of information (server, quest step, type of the problem encountered, trigger of this problem…).

Enjoy !

K

Kharok Svark

How about giving a level 50 quest with a respec stone as the reward :)

B

Brannor McThife

So, if they could ONLY do it after 1.60. What were those "epic" quests before?

Hmm. Maybe they're trying to start over. Give them the benefit of the doubt. However, if it's the SAME "events team" that did those "epic" quests we all lurved, then it doesn't bode well.

If, however, Kemor actually has some influence in these, then I'd say they should be good, if however, it's some autistic -sorry ARTISTIC- genius that has never actually played a game before then they should have everyone screaming and tearing out their hair.

-G

PS. Apologies to anyone that has a family member or friend that suffers from autism.

N

ning

Originally posted by Brannor McThife

Mythic quests ?

K

kemor

How about giving a level 50 quest with a respec stone as the reward
This is the kind of thing we don't want to do. If such a quest ever comes into play, then it will be Mythic creating it, not us.

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by ning
Mythic quests ?
I'll take it you're new. Or you have somehow blocked out the trauma the rest of us experienced. No. Not your Epic Armour quests. I used epic in quotations, because that's what we all called them at the time.

Those "black eye on orange/red shield" people that invaded all the realms...and then never really appeared to do anything.

-G

N

ning

I'll take it you're new. Or you have somehow blocked out the trauma the rest of us experienced. No. Not your Epic Armour quests. I used epic in quotations, because that's what we all called them at the time.

Those "black eye on orange/red shield" people that invaded all the realms...and then never really appeared to do anything.

-G

Well i think it was an Event no really a quest.

B

Brunore

-G

Apart from kill us all when we tried to go in vendo

A

Arnor

just hope they have some perspective into the rewards now. Xarr(lvl 50) lead an event that GOA started, and after a couple of hours and gathering of other players he got a twilight hammer :p

A

Archeon

Originally posted by Arnor
just hope they have some perspective into the rewards now. Xarr(lvl 50) lead an event that GOA started, and after a couple of hours and gathering of other players he got a twilight hammer :p

wow, do you think if i ask nice he'l let me touch it? ;)

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by Brunore
Apart from kill us all when we tried to go in vendo
Not actually...if you didn't attack any of them, they didn't attack you. Although, the AI as pretty muched foooked up.

They would wander around, and for ages, not attack anyone. Then one would randomly get the feeling a player had been watching him too closely, and lash out at him. Whereapon a nearby friend of his would see this, and proceed to scuttle off to call the boss, who in turn then screamed at everyone that the Player had started it all and that anyone in the cave deserved death. What then proceeded was lots of screams of pain, lots of exceptionally high damage styles from the invaders, many deaths on the side of the Players...especially those poor level 20's who were just there to XP.

"Hi my name is DaUberLeed0r (NPC), and I BAFU". - Bring A Fecking Army.

That of course, was about where the event/quest ended. I said quest, because one of the stages was to either have someone craft the parts, or run off to a merchant keep to but catapult parts, give them to the NPC who would then build it. And then probably secretely laugh to himself while 20 enthusiatic Mids stood around waiting for some sort of invasion...that to the best of my knowledge, NEVER happened - I never saw, nor heard, of that keep being attacked. Or maybe that was supposed to happen in Episode 79, November 2005.

-G

O

old.Hellskor

Originally posted by kemor
This is the kind of thing we don't want to do. If such a quest ever comes into play, then it will be Mythic creating it, not us.

how about a 2.4spd Sword that's 'accidently' left-hand usuable in Mid ? :cool:

P

Pempulla

I remember in beta there was this 'test event quest' in Shannon estuary with an NPC luring in people to a pack of merchants close by, who then proved to be something else (involved an Uileog look-alike controlling them or something and a druidish char in Innis who showed some interest in the matter, collecting collar bands that 'Uileog' used to enslave his minions, always wanting more and more...).

Always kind of liked that quest and was wondering if it will ever reappear (and hopefully continue?)?

A

Arnor

Originally posted by Archeon
wow, do you think if i ask nice he'l let me touch it? ;)

he might, but you must wear silk gloves lest you lower the condition on it ^^

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
what's a twilight hammer?
/me points.
/me laughs.

My word. You HAVE lived in Albion your whole life haven't you?

Try think back, to before epic armours. Before Epic weapons. To those purple hammers, axes, and sword the trolls/norse were beating on you with. (talking early last year).

In fact...remember Jorem? My Beta event NPC? He had a Twilight Hammer...and I'm sure many Albs/Hibbies remember the look of that hammer up close.

:flame:

-G

F

Flimgoblin

I started 2 weeks after release so haven't met Jorem.

My highest mid char is a level 12 shaman - I've made it as far as level 10 in hib ;)

I don't mind the other realms - just all my friends are on alb and I've not played everything there yet ;) Heck I've still only got the one 50, I'm as far from a powerleveller as you can get ;)

I take it it's a random crappy drop? like the barrows stuff?

O

old.Hellskor

when the game first went live last year, Midgard was the only realm with lvl40ish Weapons, those were the famous Twilight Weapons.
Alb and Hib dungeons weren't itemized (afaik)

Twilight Soulsearer - 2handed Sword (got a flame effect later on)
Twilight Battlecrasher - 2handed Hammer
Twilight Cleaver - 2handed Axe ... doesn't actually look like a Cleaver
Twilight Doombringer - Bow
Twilight Impaler - Spear

all purple in color ... and now pretty much the crappiest weapon you can find ;)

drops in Spindelhalla, 89% Qual ~15ish dps

T

tris-

yo can also get twilight stuff in odins :clap: me and another paladin where killing some mobs in odins and we got twilight chain gloves that were wearable by albs! unless twilight armour isnt the same as the weapons

H

Hargh

Well this all sounds excellent to me. They shouldn't be uber item dependant and they shouldnt be something that everyone ends up doing because of what exp they can get out of it.
Quests bring a lot of fun to people who only dip in and out of the game and aren't hardcore 6 hour+ a dayers. The more there are the better imo.
Sorry someone started asking me to do some work thru that and i;'ve lost my train of thought heheheh

R

Roo Stercogburn

I'm guessing the key is in the word 'permanent'. Sounds like previously, all GOA could do would be to add NPCs here and there and I bet between patches they had to reenter the data for any of their event team stuff.

This sounds like they can make changes/additions to quest databases and have the data stay consistent between patches.

Regardless of technical issues... two thumbs way way up for this kind of thing :)

Hmmm... might be time for GOA to run a competition to have Euro players create quests for each realm and have the winners permanently entered into their database.

Lots of other things spring to mind. This has the potential to be something really good that can seriously enhance the gaming experience for roleplayers.

D

Damon_D

Arhg Kemor come on..I'll buy you a beer RL ....plzzzzz

W

wildpt

We want Alba back!

Great event and awsome day that was, sadly GOA didnt make another great 3realms event...i always wonder why

I

iziz

agreed, something of such significance like a respec stone or uber drop should not be done by GOA, but there is plenty of scope left for rewards.

What about quests that give fairly substantial amounts of xp, gold or a random item according to the level of the quest? Some of them could even be repeatable (if that's possible now), like the very good repeatable resist item quest, albeit without the 'uber' drop. This would promote more of a roleplay environment than the current kill x mobs to level / get a drop, than is currently the case and would provide people with a bit more fun while still seeing some sort of reward from it.

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by wildpt
We want Alba back!

Great event and awsome day that was, sadly GOA didnt make another great 3realms event...i always wonder why
That's "Albia". And who knows, she might make an appearance again oneday. You'll have to bug Kemor about that one. :p

She was the only one of the other two Chosen that I met once the game went live. Seemed a nice enough person. Not sure if she still plays or not, since I've forgotten what character name she was playing under. :(

I do know, or at least I heard, that the Hibbie one left not too far into Live.

The reason for no 3-realm events is mainly because well...look at the final day of the beta event...was nothing more than the average night in Emain, except very few people were higher than 35. And yes, it was great fun in those days, fights lasted a long time, the CC from Crimm kept getting pulled - either by abusers or stupid Albs - and everyone would run around screaming

"THE CC IS COMING!!"
"RUN!!!!1111"
"NO FIGHT!!!!"
"RUN!!!111"
"NO FIGHT!!!!!!"

And then we'd try zerg the CC.

Anyway, the main reason is, that it was proved that people cannot generally "behave" in RP type event with all 3 realms, and everyone is supposed to be at war. Lots of iffy technicallities involved.

-G

V

Vell

the CC from Crimm kept getting pulled - either by abusers or stupid Albs - and everyone would run around screaming

"THE CC IS COMING!!"
"RUN!!!!1111"
"NO FIGHT!!!!"
"RUN!!!111"
"NO FIGHT!!!!!!"

Heehee, that was so much fun :) Especially the first time I went RvR and didn't really have a clue what was going on :) Everyone yelling 'RUN' and I just stood around going 'huh?' until I died :p

Ahhhh sweet memories :)

W

wildpt

That's "Albia". And who knows, she might make an appearance again oneday. You'll have to bug Kemor about that one. :p

She was the only one of the other two Chosen that I met once the game went live. Seemed a nice enough person. Not sure if she still plays or not, since I've forgotten what character name she was playing under. :(

I do know, or at least I heard, that the Hibbie one left not too far into Live.

The reason for no 3-realm events is mainly because well...look at the final day of the beta event...was nothing more than the average night in Emain, except very few people were higher than 35. And yes, it was great fun in those days, fights lasted a long time, the CC from Crimm kept getting pulled - either by abusers or stupid Albs - and everyone would run around screaming

"THE CC IS COMING!!"
"RUN!!!!1111"
"NO FIGHT!!!!"
"RUN!!!111"
"NO FIGHT!!!!!!"

Anyway, the main reason is, that it was proved that people cannot generally "behave" in RP type event with all 3 realms, and everyone is supposed to be at war. Lots of iffy technicallities involved.

-G

U right thou GOA could try once just to see, i really think most of the ppl would go with the spirit of event.

Miss a lot CC hehe thou in the ending albs were killing him for the suprise of hibs :p

Y

Yussef

Think I've found one alternative route, trying it now Oo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom