New expansion

brad

Fledgling Freddie
With the new expansion there is a large labrinth under agramon right which allows PVP, however if you don't activate the new expansion is there no way you can participate in the PVP area under agramon?

So arn't you basicly screwed if you don't go buy it as you will miss out on areas of RVR? Usually after expansions the new areas become the new hot spots meaning other areas usually become rather dead.

Or am i getting it all wrong? Can i still enter the area, although i don't have access to any of the new abilities?

Gamah

Banned
brad said:
With the new expansion there is a large labrinth under agramon right which allows PVP, however if you don't activate the new expansion is there no way you can participate in the PVP area under agramon?

So arn't you basicly screwed if you don't go buy it as you will miss out on areas of RVR? Usually after expansions the new areas become the new hot spots meaning other areas usually become rather dead.

Or am i getting it all wrong? Can i still enter the area, although i don't have access to any of the new abilities?

The idea of expantions is that people need to buy them :p

Vladamir

FH is my second home
It's shit anyway, zergy as fuck and all congested on US classic :p

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
brad said:

Laby is extremely laggy and extremely zergy!

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
[HB]Jpeg said:

indeed. those who venture down there solo dies either of the zerg or all the mobs :p

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
nice to explore on the pve only co-op us server though :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
there are some mino relics in the frontier, plus all the relics from within the labyrinth need to come out to the frontier to keep alive so it won't all be in the lab

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
there are some mino relics in the frontier, plus all the relics from within the labyrinth need to come out to the frontier to keep alive so it won't all be in the lab

dont one realm need to get all those relics to activate mauler?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
brad said:

you cant enter larberynth or use the mauler, everything else is free

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
brad said:

Basicly play wise its abit like DF was in the NF beta (if you can remember that far back). So as Waffanub said a tad zergy and lagy on high pop servers. Benifit is you can bind inside and get to the central hub (were the action is) just before Rez sick goes. So action is constent.

What you see is what you get in there though so, your not gonna get solo fights you wont get any "classic" fights in there, its just a RP farm.. It is however and easy way to get RP's in especially for low RR new charecters.

After a few weeks though the interest drops off abit becuase it does get very repetitive

PvE wise some of the drops are nice and fairly easy to get since you can port round to just about any encounter. Mob respawn is about 10 mins and some of the high level Mythical Items are pretty nice 6% Block 15 pt mana regen etc. The new champ quest chains are pretty easy and give a silly amount of champ xp and cash (about 15p for the lot).

Its not mind blowing but it makes it easier to get a toon to RR4+ with a decient temp (via champ cash quests and Lab otd's) and breathes abit of new life into RvR

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
from reading the sticky at top i cant see how you can live without it. Cant sit there with 1 item less than the rest, thats just silly imo :p. So gotta buy it just for the new items :(.
Anybody know if you can just change the new mythirian item nonstop? Say i got a +8 body ressist/cap mythirian item on, and i see a melee inc i just change to my +8 melee ressist/cap mythirian item?

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
brad said:

Its worth it purely as you can make stupid, stupid realm points there especially when the US-Caerleon cluster had double rps in lab - made 750k in one day running in a 3 Bainshee group as debuff monkey (Voidritch) - see those charging Mercs/Zerkers drop in 3 nukes or less with the debuff ;)

Its fun, but if you dont want the effective perma-insta-rvr (you can release to a realm-specific area in Lab) then i'd say don't bother buying it - especially as a tank since most of the tank Mythirians are currently broken - theres a list on the VN boards somewhere - worth taking a look [cba digging the link out as vn's are slow today]. And yes you can't zone in without Lab activated. And yes the dungeon is laggy as hell - makes PoC look smooth.

Battleboobs

Fledgling Freddie
labyrinth is just a big zerg area, atleast here on us classic, and the lag in there is amazing, so its not a fun area

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I disagree only the actual hub part is a free for all once you get past that you can pve quiet easily without getting rolled .. i have taken my solo necro there quite often solo and managed to get quite deep into the dungeon.

Get your self a group with a healer and you can do quiet well for RP .. just because its not 8 v 8 in there because the actual area that PvP is viable is fairly small doesnt mean its not fun.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
[HB]Jpeg said:

Think of emain!

I dont care about the lovely rose tinted shit you remember, its smaller than Eamin, 4 times as laggy and Vlad likes to fondle kobbies on the US server down there ;(

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
presumably on a slightly less populous server the lab won't be quite so laggy anyway ;)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Ive found the hub and entrance area is laggy as hell, but once you get away from them towards the bosses it levels out nicely, and with the portal system you can sprint to an obelisk and port to where you want and either farm bosses or as a stealther sneak up on unsuspecting necros and kill their buffbots :) Even the heartiest of GFX cards seem to struggle in the hub, but thats the only area, even Agramons chamber (youll know what I mean) is not as laggy and theres sooooo many mobs in there it normally would hurt.

The hub is camped well by stealthers and FGs alike, people tend to avoid the relics as on /map they give away your position too easily, as the enemy can see them moving as well.

The drops from bosses are great, lots of one timers, 99+ qual gear with great template stats on, mythirians that equip well to give you a little more health mana and end regen (not all at once :p).

I wouldnt say this is a "must have to compete" expansion, sure RvR will go quiete while everyone dives in there and fondles the cows, but the novelty wears off once you have done all the faily easy kill bosses and life goes back to normal. Everything is tradable too, so you can buy everything after the focus farmers have done their bit. However, I think there will be a lot of "feck off, campedzor!!" heard in the halls at first.

The animation of the gears and cogs is great in there too, nice eye candy :)

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Judging it from a classic server POV, now that it's been going for a bit

Mauler - usual stupid expansion class, although not as bad as previous expansion classes, I'm looking at you Mr Warlock

Lab - nice if you like insta RvR Excal/Pryd style, like a game of battlefield 1942, die release to bindstone, run back in. Very very laggy around central hub
Might actually be a nice place for PvE freaks too, some nice enough mobs/encounters with fairly decent drops

The only thing that stood out for me was spike traps on the floor, it's almost like they started to make it an actual dungeon of the sort that old timey RPG'ers would recognise, then kinda gave up

New Items - new dropped armour is a bit pants, nice util, but I would never consider running in armour that does not have reverse procs like the lab gear
Some nice high util drops for templates but no real must have as far as a ToA server is concerned
Some weapons are very nice for classic, nice graphics, nice procs, some very nice bows for archers (remorseless/galvornes)

Mythirian(sp?) Items - might be nice if half of them actually worked, high level (CL10) ones sell for alot of money, especially ones like the health regain
Block/Parry ones will be nice for sword and board toons especially with latest patch

Quests - dull as shite, take this item, run here and kill this then come back and i'll give you a plat or so because the company who designed this felt guilty how little effort they expended on the quests.

Champ levels 5-10 are the only reason I bought the expansion, the weapons can be traded
To be honest the current patch will have a bigger effect on the game than LOTM will for EU players

The only noticable thing would be the frontiers emptying out for a bit whilst everyone gets lab fever

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
can't get cl6+ unless you have both DR and labyrinth.

At any rate - why would you _not_ buy the expansion? given it's only 20 quid...

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
NF was already too big, every time they add new areas of RvR it's just diluting down the action until people spend more time map-reading trying to find something to do. I aren't against the expansion because I don't like new stuff, but it does seem silly if it's splintering the RvR up even more.

Though ofc it might not apply on a US cluster with population of 3k+ :p

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Flimgoblin said:

not even 20 quid ;) 20 euro or under.

brad

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:

O well my question answered, doubt i will bother with it. If nf become to dead i'll just cancel me subs and stop playing all together tbh. Population levels getting to low for me currently and don't fancy another mass of pve'ing just to be equal to others again when i wont actualy enjoy it for that long afterwards. O well.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
brad said:
Population levels getting to low for me currently and don't fancy another mass of pve'ing just to be equal to others again when i wont actualy enjoy it for that long afterwards. O well.

The PvE aspect of LOTM is a choice
If you have the expansion enabled, just talk to class trainer then king and RvR as usual for your CL XP and you wont have to bother with the silly quests.

Phule_Gubben

Fledgling Freddie
Aiteal said:
The PvE aspect of LOTM is a choice
If you have the expansion enabled, just talk to class trainer then king and RvR as usual for your CL XP and you wont have to bother with the silly quests.

Shhhh...

Don't mention that to him. :touch:

Sparklehorse

Fledgling Freddie
If everyones fighting down in the Lab, does that mean i can go PvE the Relics from the unguarded keeps as the flames wont show up while ure down there :D ?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
brad said:
O well my question answered, doubt i will bother with it. If nf become to dead i'll just cancel me subs and stop playing all together tbh. Population levels getting to low for me currently and don't fancy another mass of pve'ing just to be equal to others again when i wont actualy enjoy it for that long afterwards. O well.

there's not a lot of pve - it's an RvR focused expansion.

Relics = RvR bonuses that you fight over. Pick one up, go back up top, kill people to keep it fed.

Tuppe

Fledgling Freddie
TheBinarySurfer said:
Its worth it purely as you can make stupid, stupid realm points there especially when the US-Caerleon cluster had double rps in lab - made 750k in one day running in a 3 Bainshee group as debuff monkey (Voidritch) .

hmm and abusing walls whitout los check, who read all those posts in VN notice this.
bainshees making millions rp:s easily in few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom