New Drivers Kyro & Radeon

B

bodhi

ATI deliberately disabling texture detail/mipmap level settings within their openGL drivers which specifically identified Quake3

Oh you mean the bug in the drivers that caused them to misinterpret Quake 3's texture slider? And those 3 textures which were affected really bug people in a hectic deathmatch don't they. Of course at this point I could bing up the mysterious drop in IQ which seems to be noticed by several Geforce owners whenever a new "improved" Detonator set comes out. But then you could guarantee if that happened with an ATi card, the online press would be all over them like a rash.

four months after the radeon 8500's original evaluation. ATI still don't have WHQL driver certification for drivers that support all the features of their new products

I'm crying inside. Honest.

At present ATI have two massive problems, for one they develop each card as a new product, trying to reinvent the wheel each time, one benefit of the 'family' architecture that nVidia use is that all their GPU's use a unified driver, much more simple to develop/support.

Hmmm. The drivers I'm using currently (the infamous 3276's) also work on a Radeon 8500. And I have a Radeon 64Mb DDR ViVo. So would that make ATi's drivers *gasp* unified?

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Bodhi
The drivers I'm using currently (the infamous 3276's) also work on a Radeon 8500.

Not that you have one :p

ME feels this going on and on and on :rolleyes:

X

Xavier

No, I think we'll leave things there, Bodhi has no argument and he's beginning to bore me...

O

old.Anatoly

If you goto windows update and have an 8500 there are apparently some 'official' drivers to download ;)

B

bodhi

Originally posted by Anatoly
If you goto windows update and have an 8500 there are apparently some 'official' drivers to download ;)

There are, I have just downloaded them.

Oh and Xavier, thank you for proving my theory about you with your pathetic attempt at trying to be superior. I gave you a perfectly good explanation for the Quake/Quack issue, one which ATi themselves admitted, and you devided to stick your fingers in your ears. Well done.

B

bodhi

thing is tho, nobody knows WHY Quake 3 was referenced in the drivers. For all we know the reference in there could have been a workaround to some other problem. And seeing as my technical knowledge about driver programming amounts to precisely zero, I'm quite willing to take ATi's explanation. After all, they coded the bloody things.

But then, I had more problems with one nVIDIA card than I have with all three ATi cards I have combined.

O

old.D0LLySh33p

So after all this is what you're all telling me to go out and purchase a new ATI, put GeForce drivers in it, install Quake 3 and then wear a pink fluffy bunny suit!?

Sounds cool to me :)

E

Embattle

Basically if you're in a race and behind...whats the last thing you want to do...............fall over :p

F

FuZor

Bodhi's comment about having more problems with Nvidia it also true for me. My old GF 2 MX from Hercules was pants... specially with detnonator drivers.

Maybe the reason why ATi take time in releasing drivers is because the actually put effort into FULLY testing them!!!

E

Embattle

So much so they've released bad drivers themselves ;)

F

FuZor

Originally posted by Embattle
So much so they've released bad drivers themselves ;)

All i'm saying is, i've had a much better experience with ATi rather than anyone else :)

O

old.D0LLySh33p

ATi suck... well I'm only saying that 'cos I'm biased horribly. Had me an 8 meg Rage for two years (yes I still had to play CS and Q3 with it - the pain!) and in those two years I couldn't upgrade to a new video card until this year.

Why? Bleedin bios and ATi crappy window drivers that were nigh near impossible to get out of the system unless via formatting :(

Saying that, the new Radeon looks very good if a tad pricey.

X

Xavier

Originally posted by Quicksolv
Bodhi's comment about having more problems with Nvidia it also true for me. My old GF 2 MX from Hercules was pants... specially with detnonator drivers.

Maybe the reason why ATi take time in releasing drivers is because the actually put effort into FULLY testing them!!!

I take it you're an AMD/Via chipset user

W

Wij

Why Quake3 was referenced in the drivers is pretty obvious if you read the articles. They optimised the drivers to get the highest frame-rate they could on the standard Q3 benchmark at the expense of some image quality (and I don't just mean ignoring the slider at high texture quality. Now they've got rid of the slider ignoring thing cos it didn't make that much difference anyway and made the optimisations for (allegedly) all Q3 games. Some image quality is sacrificed but they've tried to keep it to a minimum. All drivers do some game/engine optimisations here and there. It's just that in the original Quake/Quack case it was blatently obvious what they'd done and why. Pretty little lame imo but hey-ho, I'm still alive, not a major problem in my life is it :)

X

Xavier

no, but as consumers we've got to look at such things carefully...

deliberately bodging drivers so that they decive benchmarks is a direct effort to beat a competitor in the press... the fact that the ATI did much less work (because it was rendering poorer textures) renders it a cheat, deliberate or not.

The people who lose out at the end of the day are the customers who believe they are getting something quite different from what they actually receive...

B

bodhi

Oh do shut up. ATi admitted it was a bug. A BUG. A bug in ATi drivers, doesn;t sound so hard to believe now does it? It affected (wait for it) THREE textures. Now they've fixed it the 8500 Quake 3 scores are practically identical to what they were before. I honestly don;t understand what all the fuss is about. It's not like nVIDIA have never fiddled with the IQ to get higher benchmark scores is it?

B

bodhi

Originally posted by Xavier
no, but as consumers we've got to look at such things carefully...

You mean as an nVIDIOT? Because judging by your arguments thats plainly what you are.

S

SoWat

Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. It doesnt matter if you win, you're still a retard.

W

Wij

Oh do shut up. ATi admitted it was a bug. A BUG. A bug in ATi drivers, doesn;t sound so hard to believe now does it? It affected (wait for it) THREE textures. Now they've fixed it the 8500 Quake 3 scores are practically identical to what they were before. I honestly don;t understand what all the fuss is about. It's not like nVIDIA have never fiddled with the IQ to get higher benchmark scores is it?

They said the texture slider thing was a bug but that doesn't explain some of the other 'optimisations' which were used and are now available for all Q3 engine games but do affect visual quality. They admitted it does a bit but they said not enough to notice. Like I said, all companies do some optimisation for games/engines, I don't mind that. It's just that the first set of 8500 drivers were so blatently ha><0red just to win the Q3 benchmark numbers war :)

X

Xavier

that's funny, when we interviewed them at Comdex they told us it was known to be in the driver and was deliberate.

I guess you have better contacts than we do...

/me erases ATI's chief architect from phonebook

X

Xavier

hmm, can you possibly give me the number for the bloke down the pub you met who gave you that gem of information... ;) ta

Users who are viewing this thread