New Computer

Lethul

FH is my second home
I might be getting a new "old" computer, my brothers old as he will be upgrading. It is a C2D somewhere around 3ghz. It does however have a busted gfx card.

So I wonder what card is the most bang for the buck nowdays? Is it still ATI or have Nvidia gone past them again? Which card should I be looking at? I've been looking at ATI 6850 so around that price range.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
The 6850 and the Nvidia 460 1024Mb give similar performance for a similar price, but I dunno what the prices are like in sweden. I think AMD still lead on quietness/power consumption.

Depends on if you want to look at features like eyefinity (triple monitor setup) in the future, the Nvidia version of which requires 2 cards, but you only need one on the AMD version.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Just installed my new 6950 2gb a few days ago and I'm quite honestly astounded at the difference when upgrading from a 4870 1gb. Even Metro 2033 runs seemlessly with everything turned on (even if it is a bit of a shitty game, it still looks very nice). Everything works perfectly EXCEPT the bloody eyefinity setup. Apparently you need one DVI port kept free in order for it to work so I've had to order mini displayport to DVI adapter for it.

ATI are still generally ahead with regards to bang for buck and their new range does seem to be a good one; the 5000 range was a bit lackluster as an introductory dx11 range...

Helme

Resident Freddy
Actually the 5850 is the 2nd most worthwhile card to get if you're looking for price/performance so it's not that bad :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I reckon I'm going to need to update from my 4870 if I'm going to be able to run BF3 properly. I've got no idea what the state of the art is in graphics cards at the moment; what's suitably high end without breaking the bank? I also think a change to Nvidia might be an idea, as for some reason my ATI card has never really got on with BC2 (lots of screen freezes - the only way I can reliably play BC2 is by using rivatuner). Are Nvidia cards on par with ATI these days?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'm a bit in the same boat tbh. Also have a 4870, same thoughts. May go back to Nvidia. Meh.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
lol funny how many of us are on 4870s.

I'm buying a new PC once the vertex 3 SSDs come out at the start of next month.

Not sure whether to get 1x 6970 now, or a 6990 now :p

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Don't both with the 6970 - just buy a 6950 and flash the bios instead, it makes it the equivalent of the 6970 while saving some cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom