Part of the furniture
From the latest Friday news:

Avalon/Lyonesse - Limors
Stonehenge/Logres/Dartmoor - Temair
Orcanie/Carnac - Kernyw
Ys/Brocéliande - Kattraeth
Glastonbury/Salisbury - Canterbury
Prydwen/Excalibur - Dyvet

Does anyone else feel that these are some of the worst names ever for clusters? I don't mind Canterbury, but the rest are impossible to remember!

Gamah

Banned
GReaper said:

Avalon/Lyonesse - Limors
Orcanie/Carnac - Kernyw

Does anyone else feel that these are some of the worst names ever for clusters? I don't mind Canterbury, but the rest are impossible to remember!

Dyvet is like Duvet! Shall I play the dying cluster or have another hour under the dyvet!

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Heh. So that when they cluster the clusters they get to pick yet another new name, to confuse people even further. :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
How about these alternative names ?

Avalon/Lyonesse - Leavethefriggingamealone
Stonehenge/Logres/Dartmoor - ThinkImgonnaspewImsosickofsuckynames
Orcanie/Carnac - Kermitcouldcomeupwithbetternames
Ys/Brocéliande - KanyouasksomeonewhounderstandsEnglishnexttimeplease
Glastonbury/Salisbury - Cantcodefortoffee
Prydwen/Excalibur - Duvetjustsoundslame

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
GReaper said:

Avalon/Lyonesse - Limors
Orcanie/Carnac - Kernyw

the only thing thats lame is that it took them this fucking long time to name them something official, before all naabs have been going around calling it ukcluster/prydexc/excpryd etc.

mythic wins, they named their servers immediately think

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
this has been named from the gay-city-of-lamedom

requiel - care to come here and tell us why the english cluster no longer has an english name?

for once i wish GOA would hire someone with an understanding of how to write english in the news instead of some 12 year olds bablefish attempt!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
GReaper said:

so being hard to remember is the only reason they are bad names?

oh god.....

Nate

FH is my second home
I had a double take with Avalons/Lyonesse one, thought it said Lemons hehe :D Damn it Censi, who won't you get with these catchy names :(

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
Nate said:
I had a double take with Avalons/Lyonesse one, thought it said Lemons hehe :D Damn it Censi, who won't you get with these catchy names :(

so is this where all the people censi was refering to went to?

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
rampant said:
this has been named from the gay-city-of-lamedom

requiel - care to come here and tell us why the english cluster no longer has an english name?

for once i wish GOA would hire someone with an understanding of how to write english in the news instead of some 12 year olds bablefish attempt!
They are all British names. Arthurian mythology has nothing to do with English and everything to do with British and Celtic tradition and the names we have chosen reflect that.
Dyvet is the old form of the Kingdom of Dyfed in Wales.
Canterbury is the name of an important pilgrimage site in England.
Kernyw is a Gaelic name for Cornwall.
Limors and Kattraeth are the names of battles fought in Britain in the 7th century.
Temair is a megalithic site in Ireland and the seat of the Kings of Munster.
I'm not sure what Babelfish has to do with any of these names.

Previously we didn't name the clusters because it wasn't really necessary. We only had two - a French and an English cluster - and then we added a classic cluster. There wasn't much danger of confusion when we needed to refer to them. Now we have multiple clusters in several languages it's useful to have a label to identify them rather than the somewhat inelegant form of listing all the individual servers. If we're going to do that for some of the clusters then we may as well do so for all of them.

You can use the names or not, they are simply handy labels for when we refer to them in the news. You can still refer to the English cluster or to Excal/Prydwen if you like, we won't send the game police around to stop you.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Still, they sound as catchy as the US cluster names, do they? I can hardly imagining myself telling other people that I play(ed) on the Dyvet cluster ... :/ But, it's an effort and every effort is appreciated ;>

(goodnight btw! Nice to see you up this late/early.)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
anyone care to explain why theese names are important enough that ppl feel the need to bitch about them?

does it really matter in the end what the hell the clusters are called?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Congax said:
I can hardly imagining myself telling other people that I play(ed) on the Dyvet cluster ... :/

why not? because it doesent "sound cool"? >.<

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Ctuchik said:
why not? because it doesent "sound cool"? >.<

No!

Some stranger may think "Ahhh! Excalibur! The sword! Must be a damn good game!". Now they'll probably say "DYFET?! Where the hell is that? WALES? I wouldn't want to play there!".

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm...how the hell do you pronounce Dyvet ? ..............sounds like a piece of soil to me :)

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
GReaper said:
No!

Some stranger may think "Ahhh! Excalibur! The sword! Must be a damn good game!". Now they'll probably say "DYFET?! Where the hell is that? WALES? I wouldn't want to play there!".

They might, but then, seeing as we dont get new players i wouldnt worry too much there. Honestly, u people r crying over names .. lol. I wouldnt care if they were all called GHDGFGVCBTDYTGVCB , it doesnt change anything in game , what the hell does it matter.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
I'm not sure what Babelfish has to do with any of these names.

You can still refer to the English cluster or to Excal/Prydwen if you like, we won't send the game police around to stop you.

erm read what i said....

why does GOA not employ someone with an understanding of how to write english for your news column? (and if you DARE tell me that it was written by and english-type-person i'll send the spelling / grammar police round to you!)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
rampant said:
erm read what i said....

why does GOA not employ someone with an understanding of how to write english for your news column? (and if you DARE tell me that it was written by and english-type-person i'll send the spelling / grammar police round to you!)

So they can annoy you.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
To be honest, Tintagel and Bossiney are just as bad...they sound like really bad perfume brands.

"New Tintagel for Men...Roleplay that you're a really attractive guy!"

"Bossiney for Women...A Classic Fragrance!"

Although I will admit that the name Dyvet has me a little "down" (groan!) so maybe I should quilt while I'm ahead...

I'll get my coat...

Conway

Fledgling Freddie
Kind of sad really. I used to play Prydwen. It had sentimental associations. I've left and now Prydwen no longer exists to return to, only Dyvet. If that is a variant on Dyfed, its a bit odd having Hibernia in Wales.

Anyway, its just symbolic that you move on and there is no going back to how things were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom