New case + cooling.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
I'v ebeen putting off getting a new case for ages now. I need to get something with some built in HD cooling (and at least 3 internal 3.5" bays), with some case in/out fans too. I'm torn between the Chieftec Dragon and the Coolermaster Praetorian. Anyone got any direct expereience of the two?

I also want to get a 9800Pro cooler that covers the RAM, too, and am looking at the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer. It's a PowerColor card, which seems to be the basic reference design, so it should fit.

Anyone got any other suggestions? (Kit is A64 3400+ / Gigabyte K8NNXP)

Cheers.

MrB.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
is all that cooling really nesisery?

the preatorioan got a bad review somewhere

why not google it

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
The cheapo cooling on my 9800Pro probably won't last that long and the back of the card is too hot to touch even at stock speeds. I could do with something a bit more sturdy and effective.

I'm also running a 3 disk stripe set with gets damn hot. My current case practically hermetically seals the environment in there. It's very old.

I'll root around for that praetorian interview. Cheers for the pointer.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
it prolly shouldn't be that hot

my asus 9600XT runs at a core temp of 33C (off load)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Buy one of those cheap beer fridges from Makro.

Install stuff inside it.

Include beer.

Enjoy.

Llixeraxu

Fledgling Freddie
Mrblack.. if you do find any info on the"Coolermaster Praetorian" then can you please post it here. as i am also thinking of buying one in the follwoing weeks.

Looks like a half decent case to me!

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Coolermaster are known for producing very good quality cases - I wouldn't be wary of any of their stuff.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i read a bad review about it, it said theat it was along way from the quality of there otrher cases

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
MrBlack said:
I also want to get a 9800Pro cooler that covers the RAM, too, and am looking at the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer. It's a PowerColor card, which seems to be the basic reference design, so it should fit.

I have this graphics card with this cooler. It fits fine and it keeps the core pretty cool. It also lowers the case temps by expelling the hot air out the back of the case. However, it doesn't provide any cooling for the ram. I've had to fit low profile heatsinks for the ram chips.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
I have this graphics card with this cooler. It fits fine and it keeps the core pretty cool. It also lowers the case temps by expelling the hot air out the back of the case. However, it doesn't provide any cooling for the ram. I've had to fit low profile heatsinks for the ram chips.

I like the sound of that. The fan looks oversized, so it should be quiet, too. Is it?

Oh and I found a Praetorian review:
http://cooltechzone.com/reviews/cases/cp_1.php

Very badly written, but it gets the point across. They seem to like it.

I'll be making a purchase soon; most of my games are causing lockups after about an hour to 90 minutes play. It usually kills the display, so I'm guessing the video is over-heating. The cpu is warm, but otherwise ok.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
I have a Coolermaster - looks exactly like the pretorian case - except it doesn't have the wee thing on the right hand side.

Really nice, like all the fans.

Quite quiet. opened it up a week ago to install a new hd - all the dust in there was insane :p

Llixeraxu

Fledgling Freddie
Well im buying one on saturday. ill be sure to tell you what I think :p thats if i when i build my computer it works :s

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
Llixeraxu said:
Well im buying one on saturday. ill be sure to tell you what I think :p thats if i when i build my computer it works :s

Well I've order mine from scan (tenner cheaper than most other places) and it should be here tomorrow. If it's cack, I'll blame you entirely for not having bought one earlier and warned me about it!

Also bought some RAM sinks and the arctic cooler...

I'll post tomorrow with a status report (probably from the other PC as I stamp out the smoking remains of this one)

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
As of the time of this poist, I'm shutting down to install the new case and arctic cooler. Also got me a Gigabyte PCU21-VG 3D Cooler Pro, which is immense. :)

If I'm not back in 6 hours, send for backup!

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
All up and running.

CPU now clocked at 215 FSB from 200 and it's still running at 29 C (fan only at 3krpm).
9800 Pro clocked at 423/363 from 378/337 without a hitch.
47.2k on Aquamark. 6350 on 3DMark03

Oh and 692fps on Quake2 demo2 (runs the entire thing in 0.9 seconds) :flame:

I'll put up a new thread with a review of the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom