Motoring New car well second hand

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Looking to poss trade in my 07 mondeo for something else a bit newer. Really don't know where to start. Garages seem over priced but will they be haggled down. Auto trader scares me and private just a nightmare. Car supermarkets seem cheap and nasty.

What's the best place to look and to buy

Maybe a BMW 3 series or similar. Passat or a4. Around 15 grand I guess I will get five for mine trade in.

Any help :)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Buy private and drive everything out there, base model A4/3 Series are not nice places to be

Himse

FH is my second home
I just recently got my Audi S5 from a dealer, found on Autotrader. Good experience, fully serviced and mot'd, even fixed the passenger door locking mechanism which they buggered up, 6 months warranty etc!

You could pick up a nice A5, personally I couldn't find the spec I wanted for the money.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Buy privately, something that's been up and down the motorway all its life. Don't go for the "low mileage woman driver" nonsense, cars like that are usually wrecked.

What's your annual mileage? If less than 10k, get a petrol. I quite like the look of the Alfa Brera (who doesn't), not a proper driver's car but it looks fantastic. Mind you, Porsche Cayennes are getting quite cheap these days, easily within your budget...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'm getting a Brera. They're pretty! That said, here in NL they rape you if you a) have a pretty car, b) have a pretty car with a big engine, c) have a (relatively) heavy car, d) get "poor" milage. The Brera is all of those :-/

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Why are you buying a car to pay more money to leave it in a repairs garage?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
about 7k miles a year so not that many hehe and yeah alfa got a rep for breaking down a lot

Tom

I am a FH squatter
So you've got 15 grand to spend on a car you won't use that much - sod getting a 3 series or any other boring Eurobox, get something interesting. Porsche Boxster, Honda S2000, a 90s SL500, you get the idea.

Himse

FH is my second home
Don't buy a Euro or Jap and risk death.

Buying the Porsche is all well and good for 15k, but maintaining it is incredibly expensive!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i have a family so i need 4 decent seats so no boxster etc.. hehe had a celica for a while they are fun tho :)

Just the cost in servicing and tax that puts me of the exotics

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
since well has an 07 plate been "well second hand"!!!

id class that as relatively new.

TdC

i have a family so i need 4 decent seats so no boxster etc.. hehe had a celica for a while they are fun tho :)

Just the cost in servicing and tax that puts me of the exotics

pssshaw! man drivey, wife/kids walkey! :eek:

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I'm still welly happi wit my E91 320d Touring - good torque - great handling
Recently got to drive a 330d yum!

ps: S5 ? that'll cost you an arm, a leg and half a kidney in DK.
A 2008 + with 75.000 km + Will cost you roughly £60.000 and upwards

a 320 is £25.000-£40.000 for a 2008+ depending

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

TdC

I looked at that site, but had to look away. The disgusting cheapness of the cars made me cry :(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Drive on the correct side of the road and it wouldn't be a problem!

I remember a few years ago it was cheaper to fly to Japan, have a two week holiday, buy a car and ship it back...than it was to buy a new car in the UK.

That was a while back though.

And the japs drive on the proper side of the road too!

TdC

at a guess the average car in the UK is about 8000 euros cheaper than the same one here. so...it may be cheaper for me to fly to the UK, have a two week holiday, buy a car and ship it back :(

Olgaline

FH is my second home
at a guess the average car in the UK is about 8000 euros cheaper than the same one here. so...it may be cheaper for me to fly to the UK, have a two week holiday, buy a car and ship it back :(

wouldnt you get taxed on it as soon as it lands on NL Plates ?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We don't want your incorrectly sided cars!

TdC

yes, but that can still sometimes end up cheaper: for example some cars in DE and BE have bigger engines (as NL is a shit market for big engines due to the stupendous cost of fuel, and tax on cars that consume lots of it (eg DOUBLE screw)), and the tax on any car is high here in NL, so you can get a similar mileage/age car with a bigger engine from other countries for (much) less. the tax due on the import doesn't bridge the gap so you end up cheaper on the whole.

There are actually companies that specialize in this kind of thing. They'll do all the paperwork, etc, for a modest fee.

TdC

that's 1.67 euros. cheapest I've seen it here recently is 1.778 euros at a station hidden away in a village.

TdC

that's for the bog-standard unleaded btw. no additives or higher RON or whatevs.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bwuahahha. Driving a 4.0 petrol here, running on LPG. £0.74 a litre.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This:

5546068037_95db1aba3b_z.jpg

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
thats an old car if thats not your bought number plate ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom