Help New Car Thread

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Early M135i's are getting below 15k and I'd take one any day of the week instead of the beige suggestions so far.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Early M135i's are getting below 15k and I'd take one any day of the week instead of the beige suggestions so far.
There's zero boot space in the fuckers (reviews count it as one of it's few weaknesses). Also - reliablility is an absolute must and since BMW have come rock bottom absolute last in the JD Power survey that's a total no-no for me.

Shame, because they're relatively cheap and they look good.

Bodhi

There's zero boot space in the fuckers (reviews count it as one of it's few weaknesses). Also - reliablility is an absolute must and since BMW have come rock bottom absolute last in the JD Power survey that's a total no-no for me.

Shame, because they're relatively cheap and they look good.

I wouldn't read too much into a single survey tbh, the criteria seem incredibly vague on that one. A "fault" seems to cover all manner of things, from phones not pairing to engine failure, so they don't tell too much about the ownership experience. For that your best bet is to jump on owners forums and see what issues people have been having and if any engines or models are particularly troublesome. I haven't read anything to suggest an M135i is going to lead to financial suicide, and even on the cheapest ones if you get a FSH the full BMW Warranty is available for peace of mind. I know mines the previous gen, but its been rock solid for 4 and a bit years now, only "fault" has been a sticking rear brake caliper .

The boot isn't the biggest no - ironically it's actually bigger in the Coupe - but mines swallowed 2 sets of golf clubs, trollies, luggage for 3 nights and 2 people with ease before. Pretty sure a bike will go in with the seats folded down without taking a wheel off, but you'd need to check that.

It's also the last chance to buy a rear drive 6 cylinder hatchback before they go all shopping trolley in the next generation. I'd hardly call them an investment, but going by 130i prices you won't lose as much when you come to sell.

Mine was 10.5k 4 and a half years ago, to buy the same age and mileage again I'd have to pay about the same, with lower mileage examples still going for about 15. Mine is worth a bit less now as its on 126k sadly, but I don't care, as I never want to sell it. When it's new car time, I'm thinking a 340i Touring or 440i Gran Coupe to sit alongside it :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Two bikes, camping and kayaking equipment, kayaks on the roof. I know you're a brand fan but nope, not even close to fitting the use case. And it definitely wouldn't get a bike in without detatching the front wheel - most SUVs wouldn't manage that.

Plus - beige cars mean that I'm being true to the bikes on the back of the car being worth more than the car itself. As per the nerdy awesome stuff thread ;)

Bodhi

To be fair, my first car was a Fiat Cinquecento (Sporting obvs) and I managed to move all me gear 330 miles away to uni in that, so the 1 Series is a van compared to that. Means you get to start the holiday off by showing elite man packing skills as well, so win win :)

Personally I fucking hate SUV's (even the BMW ones, apart from the quick ones - they are acceptable) as they don't hold much more than a decent estate, and the extra weight and height means they're still compromised on the road - slower, thirstier etc. Only thing they seem better than normal cars at is getting kids in and out, and...well....yeah.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah, they're compromised on the road, but we're looking for different things. I don't need to demonstrate my frankly astonishing man packing skills any more, I just want easy access to all my equipment with no faffing. First and foremost it needs to get me and the o/h hundreds of miles in comfort so we're not buggered when we get wherever we're going and we're not going to be flinging it round corners or setting any land speed records with a couple of grands worth of kayak strapped to the roof (and maybe ten grands worth of bikes mounted on the rear if they're not in the car).

Plus, my Type-R is refusing to die (passed it's MOT with flying colours again yesterday) so I've always got that for track days if I can be arsed :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fuck me all you are missing from that is the kitchen sink and mattress...
We had our very plush roll mats and a plastic bowl for washing up in the car :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So i just bought a Kia stinger. Yes it's a Kia. But it's 3.3l V6 bi turbo Kia.

Hi btw.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So i just bought a Kia stinger. Yes it's a Kia. But it's 3.3l V6 bi turbo Kia.

Hi btw.
Well fucking hello! How the devil are you!

That looks pretty damn cool. How's it drive?

We ended up witb a Honda CRV. Did the trick nicely last weekend with all our camping gear and bikes :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hey guys, sorry that wasn't a hit and run post, was trying to get back to reading and contributing to the forum. The Stinger is awesome, really smooth but fun drive, all the toys.

I actually looked at the new CRV too, but we went for ridiculous over practicality. Guess you've still got your type r for that though.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Hey guys, sorry that wasn't a hit and run post, was trying to get back to reading and contributing to the forum. The Stinger is awesome, really smooth but fun drive, all the toys.

I actually looked at the new CRV too, but we went for ridiculous over practicality. Guess you've still got your type r for that though.
Pix?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Out of the country at the moment, she'll get a good clean once I'm back and then I'll get some shots. Hopefully will take @mystic_g out for a spin too soon so he can report back also

Bodhi

Mate of mine was seriously considering a Stinger, went for a test drive and everything.

He ended up in an M3, but was suitably impressed. He was just going through a messy divorce so decided to treat himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom