Help New Car Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My missus' car is uneconomical to repair. It's an old VW Golf and it's pretty much died a death. :(

Need help and advice! What cars should we be looking at?

I know very little about cars but I do have a use case and all the following requirements need to be met (which the golf did but not spectacularly):

Must have:
  • Internal Space - minimum of golf space - bikes and camping gear are sometimes (often) put in the back
  • Ability to stick a tow-bar on it (it will be used with our current rack)
  • Ability to stick roof bars on it (it will be used for transporting kayaks)
  • Not be a slow-ass miler - needs some performance - but not GTI performance (the golf was a 1.4 TSi and that was fine)

Like to have:
  • Reliability, reliability, reliability
  • Relatively low mileage - not looking to buy new (why would you?) - so less than 30k
  • Less than, say, 15k total cost (so, low mileage at 15k).
  • Gotta be OK to drive about town - but more important is motorway miles

She'll want a new golf. I'm not overly enamoured. Suggestions of viable alternatives would be most welcome.

Lastly - I'm considering buying outright - a 15k loan at 2.7% over 3 years costs about £430/month and 650 for the privilege of the loan. However, if there's a *spectacular* alternative method of financing I'd consider it.

Given the above, please to be giving me the benefits of your considered combined intellects below!

:)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's madenning. They're all a bit shit. They're all a bit expensive. They're all massively unreliable (JD Power measures failures per 100 cars - and you get stuff like 190 failures per 100 cars, not 20 failures per 100...)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd save that cash for the hookers and coke @Wij.

My brother in law just spent 50 grand on a range rover. But for some weird reason he doesn't understand why he still has a mortgage...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's madenning. They're all a bit shit. They're all a bit expensive. They're all massively unreliable (JD Power measures failures per 100 cars - and you get stuff like 190 failures per 100 cars, not 20 failures per 100...)
I think any mass produced car will have similar failure rates. A lot of people dont take care of their cars properly. So its not just down to manufacture.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Find a car supermarket like CarGiant or get one second hand from a dealer.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Find a car supermarket like CarGiant or get one second hand from a dealer.
Yep. Not got a problem with the actual purchasing process - it's the type of car to fit the needs really.

A lot of people dont take care of their cars properly. So its not just down to manufacture.
This is true, but the majority of a car's reliability is down to manufacture IME. European cars are really shit at the moment. You only need to look at the figures, and what's failing on them, to realise that there are too many design faults in cars that are nowadays way to complex for their own good.

Korea is knocking out very reliable motors atm. Honda are slipping a little, but are still ahead of the pack. BMW are woefully shite at the mo.

Syri

FH is my second home
I quite like the look of the Mazda 3 (2014+ I think), no idea if it meets your needs or not though. I just think it looks nice, and thought I'd throw it out there... Also heard good things about KIA on the budget side, but only friend of a friend type reports.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This is how we used to roll :(
Car.jpg

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Both me and my wife drive a Honda Civic. It's available in hatchback and generally better than anything else in its segment. The Honda CR-V (SUV) is really nice too.
Both vehicles have great fuel-economy and the newer models have some cool gadgets.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
If you've used a Golf and that's fine, get a Leon. Pretty much the same thing but cheaper.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Ahh.
Mr Climate change wants a performance car big enough to transport his toys.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Skoda Octavia Estate. Big, well made and you can get fast versions if you want.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Estates are out (she doesn't like 'em). Considering the Tiguan as well as the Hyundai Tuscon, the Honda CR-V and the Nissan Quashwhatever.

I drive a civic myself and love honda reliability but I hear Hyundai are near top dog for that atm.

SUV looks the way to go really. Mate of mine said there wasn't that much boot space but if you compare the golf and the tiguan or the Tuscon there's a sizeable jump...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Got my missus a Skoda Yeti. It's a great motor, easy to drive, no dramas. Plus like the article says if you go looking for them now you'll probably do pretty well as the line has been replaced with a different model.
How about a Volkswagen Tiguan? Similar to a Golf but bigger!
I wouldn't pick a VW over a Skoda these days, as they're all the same platforms and you really don't get enough additional stuff with the VW badge anymote (imho).

Wij

I am a FH squatter
In all seriousness, out of the VWAG in the smallish-SUV segment the Seat Ateca gets the best reviews by far for drive, looks and value.

(And the Cupra Ateca is out soon :))

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
In all seriousness, out of the VWAG in the smallish-SUV segment the Seat Ateca gets the best reviews by far for drive, looks and value.

(And the Cupra Ateca is out soon :))

Too new for Scouse’s financial requirements

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, wouldn't have the grunt required for a full multi-week camping, biking and kayaking load.
It’s got the same bhp as the 1.6 diesel but if you want more grunt you could get the 1.4 for about £17k. It’ll last you longer. It’s the best in the segment. You can’t have everything for £15k :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom