New Build

S

S-Gray

Well, someone has asked me to build a Computer for them, i agreed, we agreed also that i will be given around £400 on a Computer... this is what it will be for:

Kids
Homework
Internet Use
Few Games (Not top class Games)

I want the parts to be pretty new, like say 3years old...

The spec im thinking of is..

Motherboard - Unsure yet any ideas?
Processor - It will have to be decided after the Mobo has been sorted out.
Sound - Thinking something like a Soundblaster 128 or Live 5.1
Graphics - Maybe a Geforce2 ?
Memory - Something around 256mb would be suitable for this Computer Newbie :p
Modem - 56k Modem, any good ones around?
CDRW - Liteon CDRW 40x12x48
CD Rom - 32* or a 48*
Case: MIDI Tower

I think thats it isnt it? Anyone give me suggestions?

I'll have a look round for everything, but i wont know what to look for when searching for a Mobo/CPU so you can help me out there

T

tris-

kt133 from ABIT is a good mobo and supports upto an athlon 1.2 GHZ. im not sure of the cost really or if you can get them still.

edit: and a duron 850

modems are pretty bog standard i thought, seen most of the PCI ones floating around for a tenner. probably better than external if you have kids there who might try to fiddle with it or something.

seen GF2 mx440 for £35 pretty good for most games at 800x600 and low quality textures etc.

you didnt put ram but 256mb is probably enough for most stuff i reckon.

Y

~YuckFou~

I notice theres no Monitor on the list so you just want a bare bones system? Theres no need for you to build this.
You can get something pretty good for £400.
Try the comp fairs for some good deals, theres one in Southport at the Floral Hall on Tuesday 5 till 9, 30 minute drive from Warrington. Theres probs one in Warrington, but I don't live there so I wouldn't know :)

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by n3wbie
kt133 from ABIT is a good

never get a via chipset mobo when the subtype doesn't end in the letter a

W

Will

Especially when the KT133A is so good. Thats what you want, though an nForce can work out pretty cheap because of all the intergrated stuff.

T

throdgrain

I saw a pc with a 1.2 celeron cpu in bloody staples for £399 !

W

Will

If you are really strapped, you can get really cheap processors (not AMD or Intel).;)

X

xane

(a) If you are going for GeForce2 quality then get just an nForce mobo and get the video/sound built in, then slap a cheapo 1Ghz Duron in it.

(b) 256MB should be enough for anyone :)

(c) Is there really any point to a separate CD and CD-RW ?

(d) I got a uber-cheap case from eBuyer for £15, including the 300W PSU !

(e) After considering the above savings I'd invest them in a nice quality optical mouse and decent keyboard, you need something to withstand kids.

W

Will

Lets do this properly.

Mobo : nForce
Processor : Duron
Sound : Onboard
Graphics : Onboard
Memory : 2 sticks of 128mb DDR
Modem : People still use these?
CD-RW : Get the Liteon, think about a DVD/CD-RW combo drive
CD Rom : No
Case : Cheap and cheerful

You'll need to add a heatsink and a HDD to that, floppys aren't essential any more.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
Memory - Something around 256mb would be suitable for this Computer Newbie :p
Modem - 56k Modem, any good ones around?
CDRW - Liteon CDRW 40x12x48
CD Rom - 32* or a 48*
I'd up the memory to 512 as its a better investment, ditch the second CDRom (unless you really really really want to copy CDs on the fly) & suggest that all modems are alike these days, i've got a crappy £10 v.92 one from PC world that works just as well as my old USR Sportster ever did, so basically cheap is good in that area.

S

S-Gray

Is there any specific brands of nForce Motherboard i should look at?

Does seem like an idea to have built in stuff in, as long as the quality is ok for Sound and Graphics.

Im pretty sure it will be On the Fly stuff which is why a CDRom would be useful.

Damn i forgot about Harddrive, i would have said 10gb or Lower would be fine for a Computer which Kids will be using.

The memory type will still be depending on what type of Memory is supported by the Motherboard, but its gonna probably be out of SD or DDR.

Liteon CDRW is what im thinking of getting them anyway, amazing Writers.

Processor looks like it will be a Duron maybe a 1GHz+ (I believe Durons are really cheap?)

Yeah people still use Modems :p, i think he will be going onto the BT £9.99 ISP (He is currently on AOL)

W

Will

No specific mobo brand, I tend to go with Abit myself, but you are penny-pinching, so see what deals you can get.

You'll be lucky to get a 10Gb HDD, times have moved on a little.

And I really wouldn't bother with the 2nd CD-ROM, a waste of time. There are software solutions for what you are suggesting, though a family PC, I really doubt it would ever be used. Use the money for a DVD/CD-RW combo drive.

Memory will be DDR, get 2 sticks as the nForce is dual-channel.

L

Lester

Gray, I'm not being funny but if you don't know what parts to buy, should you realy be building this?

amd duron 1300
atx case
geforce 2
lg cd writer
256 meg ram
40 gig hard drive
modem
lg 17" monitor
speakers
mouse
keyboard

all branded stuff £350 made up and guaranteed

(We sell these but I'm not advertising)

These systems are probably available at any computer fair so venture out into the "real world".

heh.

S

S-Gray

Yeah.. true about Hard Drives been hard to find now (10gb) i'll ask a few mates if they have any... instead of wasting money first going for a 30gb+ or whatever.

I'll ask the guy when he comes to drop an installment of the money off tonight what he intends doing with the Writer (backing up or copying etc).

At first glance of a Website, the cheapest nForce Mobo is a "LEADTEK SKT A K7NCR18D-PRO Nforce 2 Agp 8x DDR 400" valued at £82, im obviously gonna look round for a Motherboard but is that roughly the Price of one?

W

Will

That is an nForce2 mobo, not an nForce. Let me have a look about for you.

S

S-Gray

Hm, ok, that looks nice, sounds nice...

*Puts into Excel*

L

~Lazarus~

SG, just happens that I have an Elsa Gladiac 32mb Geforce 2 Gfx card sitting at home.

Was going to stick it on Ebay for £20 + p&p

Let me know if you are interested.

W

Will

As a double bonus, that is a Micro-ATX motherboard, so you can get a baby case and baby PSU. Be careful though, some MATX cases will only allow you to use half-size expansion cards.

T

Testin da Cable

I have a 6GB drive you can have for just p&p. let me know.

S

S-Gray

Right....

That Mobo i will definatly be considering.

Will probably be getting an AMD Duron 1.2GHz which is valued at just under £30 for it.

Once i got these 2 out of the way, it should be a pretty straight road ahead

L

Lester

I hereby predict this thread will run to errrr...... 90 posts!

T

tris-

Originally posted by Testin da Cable

never get a via chipset mobo when the subtype doesn't end in the letter a

why is that TDC, how much more update is one of those with an 'a' at the end? i got the normal kt133 cos thats all there was and i have never had any probs.

W

Will

The A at the end was normally a revision after 2 or 3 months, with improved performance and (sometimes) stability. KT133A and KT266A were both rock-solid chipsets.

T

tris-

Originally posted by Will.
The A at the end was normally a revision after 2 or 3 months, with improved performance and (sometimes) stability. KT133A and KT266A were both rock-solid chipsets.

aahh i see, and those nForce mobos, are they any good for serious gaming performance wise? or is it better to get a normal mobo and put your own bits in?

T

Testin da Cable

Will beats me to it again :)

imo, yes. put your own bits in. still, I must say that the quality of current built-in components is rather high. however I hold against built-in stuff the same thing I hold against 'all in wonder' stuff: if one component gives up the ghost you lose the whole thing.

S

Scooba Da Bass

I've got a diamond supra internal modem thingy (they rock) sitting on the shelf, you can have it for P&P again.

W

Will

Originally posted by n3wbie

aahh i see, and those nForce mobos, are they any good for serious gaming performance wise? or is it better to get a normal mobo and put your own bits in?
They are alright, but nothing to sing about. It'll run UT and Halflife fine.

For serious performance, get a Via KT400, or an nForce2 without the onboard gfx, and add your own graphics card. For middle-ranged performance, the Leadtek "nForce and GF4 Ti4200" bundle is very good value at the moment.

S

S-Gray

Gettin my mate to order some of the stuff now, since ive been given £200... here is the current stuff:

Asus SoA nForce 420D MATX A V L Dabs £65.80 20ZHWS
AMD Duron 1.2 Socket A Processor Dabs £29.37 14H5WS
Crucial Technology 256mb DDR PC2100 Dabs £52.33 WWLWS
ATX MidiTower 300W ATX12V AMD/P4 + Front USB Dabs £30.54 17DLWS
Cooler Master FCPGA-2.2Ghz SoA-1.733Ghz Dabs £4.69 X1RWS

That adds upto £200 i believe, the rest of the stuff (CDRW/Modem) will be bought from my Local comp shop, considering they seem cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom