Science New Bike Ideas

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lol! Looks like a monster eh? :)

I'm settled on a standard 29er. Shortish front fork.

I don't get solid forks and plus sized tyres. Sure, the plus sized tyres give a bit of suspension and maybe more grip but suspension gives suspension, right? and the plus sized tyres are all very thin and tear easily (to save on their mahoosive weight) - so aren't suitable for the riding that they're supposed to make better.

Add to that the massive drag they cause and nope. Long distance rocky miles = 29" standard.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You could go custom, I have and I doubt I'll ever buy an off-the-shelf bike again (so long as I'm working, that is).

Field Cycles, in Sheffield, make some nice gear. Look at their XC 29ER, it has a solid fork but you can always just bung a 4" fork on there instead.

Gallery : Field Cycles

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You could go custom
Yeah, I've been looking at that but then it suddenly becomes hella expensive. A grand+ for the frame as opposed to 500 quid. Builds coming in at £2500+.

More thinking to do ;)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Alright, whats a decent road bike for under a grand.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Loads, you can get some great bikes for that budget. Stick with aluminium or steel though, carbon will be bargain basement at that price.

The best £500 to £750 road bikes

I've left some money in the pot because you'll need accessories like lights, tools, etc. Also, most bikes don't come with pedals because people have different preferences for footwear.

Ribble Cycles also do some stonking deals:

Special Edition Bikes - Ribble Cycles

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
steel is real. also, wilier do an excellent steel roadie. it's only 8 or 9 grand. I have a pic somewhere 0_o

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I see them everywhere middleaged men on 5 grand bikes, I would be embarrased to ride one unless I had the fitness to warrant it, its the same for dirt bikes, guys with no bottle or skill turning up on the latest KTM and getting their asses wooped by some kid on a 10yr old Suzuki.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Loads, you can get some great bikes for that budget. Stick with aluminium or steel though, carbon will be bargain basement at that price.

The best £500 to £750 road bikes

I've left some money in the pot because you'll need accessories like lights, tools, etc. Also, most bikes don't come with pedals because people have different preferences for footwear.

Ribble Cycles also do some stonking deals:

Special Edition Bikes - Ribble Cycles

Thanks.

Ribble cycles are actually fairly close to me. Could definitely give them a visit anyhoo.
How good are their £1000-1300 specials?

Also what sort of size stuff do I want given I'm 6'3" and my legs are mahoosive.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Better to get a bike that's slightly too small rather than slightly too big. Reason being, you can extend the saddle, seatpost and steering stem to give you more reach on a smaller bike, but you can't reduce them much on a larger bike. It's impossible to size you without you actually sitting on a bike and being measured but I'm 5'11" and ride a 56-57cm frame (that's the measurement from the bottom bracket to the top tube (the bit you stand over when dismounted). You'll probably be wanting something over 60cm. And don't let them cut the fork steerer tube down to "slammed" levels, it may look cool but if you don't have a strong core/back you'll hate it. Better to get comfortable with a high steering position and chop it down later, if you prefer.

I don't know if you're into cycling or what, but if this is your first bike then don't blow all your money yet. Buy something in the £700 range and see how you go. Once you know what you want, then feel free to spend big bucks.

As for equipment on the bike, most of it tends to be Shimano. 10 speed Tiagra is a very good groupset and really cheap. 105 (11 speed) is next up, that's quality stuff. Ultegra (I have Di2 Ultegra on mine) is next, Dura Ace is top of the line. They'll no doubt save some money on various bits, the crankset might be something cheaper, the brake calipers too maybe, but as long as you have Tiagra or 105 on the chain, cassette, derailleurs and shifters, you'll be good.

Please do keep a good budget for accessories. You want good lights (even in summer), a saddle bag containing a spare tube, puncture repair kit, multitool, a decent small frame pump, water bottles, etc. You also want some decent cycling kit, Decathlon do some quality gear at real cheap prices. And if you're near Ribble then you're in the Preston area, which means you have the Forest of Bowland on your doorstep, which is lucky as shit.

TdC

Thanks.

Ribble cycles are actually fairly close to me. Could definitely give them a visit anyhoo.
How good are their £1000-1300 specials?

Also what sort of size stuff do I want given I'm 6'3" and my legs are mahoosive.

they're all similar in spec looking to me. the frames will all be a mid range carbon, and your differences will be the mid-entry level wheels and crank groupsets. it kind of bums me out that they don't offer the full groupsets for, for example, Shimano 105 or the SRAM Rival 22 at that price point, but that is also basically their excuse to have 1.5~1.6K pricepoint bikes.

if you can go visit them, then do so. the only way you will know how a bike is for size is to physically sit on one. they should be happy to help you out. if you decide you want one, the next best thing is to have one sized/specced out and ride it. as Tom says, you can upsize a slightly smaller bike with bits of kit a hulluvalot easier than you can downsize a slightly larger bike, so be aware of that.

If it were me, I'd go for a comfortable, slightly cheaper bike that you can upgrade over time with better wheels, groupset, etc. single most important thing is that it fits you properly though. improper fitting can put you off riding very quickly.

TdC

Planet X are doing a mega deal on their RT-80 Road bike. Dura Ace groupset and fulcrum wheels.

Won't be the '16 models, but hey ho you can spend the difference on recovery beer :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Planet X are doing a mega deal on their RT-80 Road bike. Dura Ace groupset and fulcrum wheels.

Won't be the '16 models, but hey ho you can spend the difference on recovery beer :)

Wish I knew enough to know what to buy :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Wish I knew enough to know what to buy :(

Don't get caught up in the marketing. The advantages of Dura Ace or Ultegra over 105 are mostly in weight and styling. The cheaper groupsets use the same technology as the more expensive ones did a few years ago. If you removed the logos, chances are you'd never be able to tell the difference - they're all excellent.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
BTW @ECA - groupset means gears, shifters, derailleurs, cranks etc. - You tend to buy matched sets and they go up in expense and down in weight.

TdC

hehe what Tom said really. you can din-dam over parts all you like (I love it, me) but in the real world I would buy the best fitting bike in my price bracket. you can upgrade all you like but you can't change a good fit easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom