Science New Bike Ideas

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, I should be getting the insurance from my stolen Cotic soon. Most likely in the region of a couple of grand.

I've got myself a lean mean downhill machine but I need something to do offroad bikepacking with. Something I can still wang down mountains but also something that'll be comfortable to do long miles and multiple days in the saddle with.

I've not ruled out buying another Solaris but I'm not dead set on it. What I want is ideas!

Anyone know owt? :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Didnt u buy a replacement in the usa? Or did u just hire one?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I bought this piece of lovely but it's a big hitting enduro rig - designed for gnarly downhill stuff, not long miles in the saddle and bikepacking.

I need two bikes :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Have a look at what Surly do.
Yeah, I've got them and Salsa in mind at the moment.

I dunno exactly where to go tho, there's so many options. 29+? Fatbike?

I've no idea how fatbikes would be like to ride long distance but there's a lot of people bikepacking with them which surprised me as I thought they'd be an absolute draggy mare, but then they'll go across fields, beaches, anywhere with no trails (though my missus' bike wouldn't be able to follow).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Fatbikes look stupid to me, but it's all personal taste. Really it sounds like you want something utilitarian and lazy, so look at touring bikes, etc. Maybe something as obvious as a Dawes Galaxy with beefier wheels would do the trick.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
touring bikes
Nah, I'm kinda baulking at the Surleys with their solid forks. I think my body requires front suspension - especially since the bikebacking I intend to do will, if I get my way, rarely hit tarmac.

Yeah, fatbikes do look silly, but everyone I meet on one raves like a madman about them. I guess I can always check them out if I visit Coed Y Brenin and rent one for the day, do a big ride, see how they feel.

But yep, offroad bikepacking is definitely the thing it's primarily going to be used for. No panniers. This sort of usage.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
fatbikes are all the rage in the office at the moment, one guy got one with the electric helper thingy on it, quite fun to ride around office

Embattle

FH is my second home
Don't really understand the point of fatbikes here, beyond looking silly.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't really understand the point of fatbikes here, beyond looking silly.
Snow/sand/ground that has no trail at all - you just point and go and they'll roll over just about everything.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Saw someone riding one in town today...in town ffs.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
That usually indicates that you're riding on something that isn't a right of way...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That usually indicates that you're riding on something that isn't a right of way...
Depends what country you're riding in. Not everywhere's as privatised as England :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've rode a Salsa Fatbike in the snow, and that was ridiculously ace. It will roll over just about anything, that is true. You don't need a trail. Just don't expect to go anywhere fast. I've also seen vids of people doing things with Fatbikes that are just insane. There is a blog of a dude biking one of Australia's desert trails, the Canning Stock Route, on a prototype Surly Pugsley, again super awesome and possibly too hard core for any other kind of bike. Does a Fatbike have any real practical use....meeeeehhh no, not really. As per the post-mtb ride discussion over beers with my mates today, practical use is not the reason one owns a Fatbike :)

Regarding choice of bikes...Surly do some pretty hard core bikes that you can hang racks and panniers and such on. Well worth checking out. Before I advise anything though, I would say get your use-case 100% clear. Usually being able to lug stuff about on a bike precludes it's abilities to perform well in woods and such, and vice versa.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Regarding choice of bikes...Surly do some pretty hard core bikes that you can hang racks and panniers and such on. Well worth checking out. Before I advise anything though, I would say get your use-case 100% clear. Usually being able to lug stuff about on a bike precludes it's abilities to perform well in woods and such, and vice versa.
No racks and panniers (though I do own a set) - bike will be setup much like this so it'll still handle well on the off-road stuff.

Basically, I want a sexy off-road bike which is well suited to long miles that I can bottle cage to fuckery. I think that rules out the solaris tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You have any experience of plus sized tyres @TdC?

I don't follow fads and kinda think of them as another one. Am leaning heavily towards the steel hardtail 29er again, but 27.5+ (say 3" tyres) seem to be really popular in the bikepacking arena...

TdC

re bike choice, well, I wish you luck. your requirements mix basically rule out anything I know about, so I can't really offer any suggestions :(

re tyres...if you have a fork and frame that can clear them, then you can basically do anything you want. a plus size tyre would mean you need wide(er) rims. research to be done methinks. as far as I can tell the hype is all about chamber volume that gives you comfort via the elusive "float" and grip via the massive contact patch you'll have. I think the idea is to go for large chamber, light weight tyres...because the "normal" tyres tend to become heavy duty as they get bigger. case in point I once had a pair of 3" Maxxis Minion DH tyres that were about 3KG together o_0

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah. TBH - I'm not in a massive rush to put this together, despite the fact that summer is heading our way fast and I'm gagging to get out and make a little fire, brew a cup of tea and watch a sunrise somewhere far off the beaten path :)

I'm tempted to see if I can get a salsa mariachi frame or something similar and then buy all the components myself. I know *fuck all* about building a bike and I think that building one from scratch would probably be a smart idea. If I end up doing any long-distance international trips then the ability to actually fix my own bike (rather than trying to find a bike shop in guatamala) would definitely make a lot of sense.

Thing is, the way you pack all the bikepacking stuff onto the bike the only thing you really could do with are extra bottle cage mounts. The rest of the stuff straps to your frame, seat + post and handlebars. So any old mountain bike will do really - just one built for comfort and long miles rather than rocks and jumps :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Oh btw if you want decent bottles and cages, I've recently bought a couple of Kleen Kanteens with a couple of Iris King cages. I was getting a bit sick of ugly plastic bottles (and the smell and germs on the lid). The Kleen Kanteens (get the sport cap) are absolutely ace, but you need the Iris cages because they're the only ones that don't rattle (unless you go for plastic cages but they look shit).

building one from scratch would probably be a smart idea

You'll be surprised how many different tools you need for that...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oooh. They do look sexy don't they @Tom. Yeah, I was thinking of twinking out when accessorising. :)

I may make a trip up to Alpkit as they're based in Nottingham. They do their own bikepacking bike, the Sonder, which is basically a plus-sized hardtail mtb. Not really interested in it but they're a good bunch and may be able to give me some tips. Got their seat bag, and I'll be going to them for their handlebar bags and custom made frame bags.

TdC

I have Kleen Kanteens too, they're ace but indeed have a slightly off size compared to plastic bottles. Just like camel-back big bottles are slightly too big.

Thing that springs to mind re plus size tyres is this: if you're *really* serious about travelling to obscure places, you're best off being as standard and normal as possible. So 26 or 28 inch mtb or road wheels, and a steel frame. Standard wheel sizes and a frame that can be welded by every man and his dog if it is damaged. I have my doubts about you being able to source a replacement 27.5+ tyre and tube if you mess up and slice them on some rocks in deepest darkest Bumfuck, Guatemala. So...if you want to go that route you'll have to lug replacements along which will eat into your packing space.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm not convinced with the plus sized wheel's @TdC - I agree with yer points. I'm still leaning towards a steel 29er with a short travel fork (like the solaris) simply because long miles.

I guess I need to get on board and try a few things out. If they're way more comfortable than standard tyres yet still don't sap your energy over the miles then I'll have some thinking to do. Most of the bike manufacturers who spec bikepacking-specific bikes are generally offering plus or fat-bikes. Which I kinda don't get. Is it just fashion?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Snow/sand/ground that has no trail at all - you just point and go and they'll roll over just about everything.

To a degree I realise what the intended use is for but the actual use, as stated by Raven makes them rather pointless.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pfft, gravel.
Rocks n' roots are where it's at @Tom. ;)

I see where you're coming from @Embattle but I keep meeting blokes on trails with fatbikes who completely rave about them - for some it's their only bike. And that's in Blighty - where their use is limited by land ownership.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow, that's fugly!

Lying down in a B&B in Wales, a stone's throw from Coed Y Brenin, after just having eaten at thirty-six ounce ribeye off a hot plate.

I'd say all thought of additional bike has left my mind but I'd be lying - but my current new one is gonna get a hammering tomorrow.

All is good with the world :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom