New bard in Hib/Pry

K

keludm

Am quitting Mid for the green fields of Hib and ill be rolling a bard - got a few questions:

1. Are there too many bards already?
2. Whats a good race/spec etc?
3. Guilds - Im after a friendly guild without attitude who do a bit of rvr at later levels?

Im an experienced player and would appreciate any help

See ya all soon

O

old.willowywicca

hi, welcome to hib :)

1)can't say for pve, but in rvr we need more active bards
2)choose celt, firbies are too big and since you're already a primary target, being so big is not a great plan.. Can't really help you with specs sorry, I just don't know :D

N

-Nxs-

Hi and welcome, as a relatively new player to Hib myself (can't believe how many of us are leaving mid/alb to come to hib/pryd) I dont have much advice to offer.

All i'll say on the Bard side is you wait ages for one to login, then 5 /send you asking for a group :) supose its like any other class in the game being in the right place at the right time.

Speaking from the low leveles, most groups seek out a bard, they generaly stand at the back playing the END song and healing now and then.

As with most classes I doubt you will want to spend any spec points till L5, so use that time to ask on /advice for a good spec, or checkout catacombs character builder.

T

Teh Fonz!!1

Most people bring Nurture high for those lovely songs. If you haven't already, get this to level 3 as soon as possible for the first speed song.

Music is where those awesome mezzes come from so that's also something a lot of people put points into. This line also gives you end and power regen, something all groups love. You're mezzes are most needed in RvR and people expect you to be able to stop an entire enemy group with them. So keep this high.

A lot of people I know get regrowth to about 15. It's not really that important to a Bard as you're more a healing/support class than a heavy healing class such as the Druid.

As for race you have two choices. Firbolg and Celt.

Celts are small, have reasonable HP and look pretty cool with their face paint etc.. They don't stand out on the battlefield and this would be my choice.

Firbolgs are the best on paper, they have all the points in the right places and are strong. They're the best choice for PvE imho. You'll know that Firbolgs stand out in RvR though, they're always first on the hit list as they're easy to click on. :D

Lastly, Hibernia can never have too many Bards. You won't have difficulty finding groups.

O

old.Downanael

Originally posted by old.willowywicca
hi, welcome to hib :)

2)choose celt, firbies are too big and since you're already a primary target, being so big is not a great plan..

/me cry

Firbolgs are just good :p

O

old.willowywicca

Originally posted by old.Downanael

/me cry

Firbolgs are just good :p

firby druids rock! but for a bard their higher str and emp are not of any real benefit, so a celt is really the better choice..

and besides, you've seen leah, you know there's nothing as sexy as a celtic bardess ;) :D

O

old.ivan

ok, Bard Advice eh.. well here goes nothing.

Are there too many of the Bard class around already.. at early levels you will see a good lot of them around yes, at some point i was in a group with 2 other bards, but i am not sure why maybe its the BG syndrome perhaps something else but after level 25 number of bards you see around will drop significantly and everyone would want to have you in the group.
Its easy being a bard, not easy being a decent bard though. Levelling is rather quick you will see .. you should get to level 24 in under 2 days played provided you dont spend time in BG.

Race ? I would say Celt, i played all kinds of bards in BG1 [Tulio - Battlebard/ Ivor - High Music + Nurture / Zippit - Balance of Nurture + Regrowth and Music]. Im going to list a small comparison for ya :

Banjobolg - High Con/Str cap meaning more HP and Sword damage. [cant remember exactly but around 120/120 with certain items, which results in around 540 hitpoints at level 24]

Ghay Celt - Higher Dex/Qui cap resulting in much faster casting time, which is very important since you are the primary CC class. [ cant recall exact stats either but from top of my head.. 109/100 Con/Str and 98/85 Dex/Qui .. should have 510-520 hp at level 24 ]

So, to conclude, Firbs are slow but have a little bit more HP and str, Celts are a more balanced race overall.

Regarding specs... well im going for :
44 Music
43 Nurture
Rest in Regrowth

[ although my Battlebard could solo a Champion i respecced as soon as i had chance, since in RvR you will Always be in group, so Heals >Sword/Blunt ]

You can also go for the Last insta AE mezz and take music all the way up to 47 and lower Regrowth to 16.

PS : make sure to have Nurture 3 at level 5 .. thats your first Speed tune.

N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by old.willowywicca
firby druids rock!

Sniff sniff... not wanting to Hijack a thread, but When i moved to hib 2 weeks ago, tried various classes and found the Druid to be the more appealing to level quicker (with groups)

And im a Celt, got asked last night (or the night before) "what pet do you have" and "Damage add please" have I really screwed up my chance in Hib with a Regrowth druid ? I'm completely reliant on groups, solo-ing is not possible at all, unless its a low green.

I'll be the first to admit - working in the right group, no one can match the heals and low mana consumption, but is this going to make me completely useless in RvR later ? I do plan on taking this Druid all the way to 50... and beyond :)

V

VidX

Originally posted by -Nxs-

Sniff sniff... not wanting to Hijack a thread, but When i moved to hib 2 weeks ago, tried various classes and found the Druid to be the more appealing to level quicker (with groups)

And im a Celt, got asked last night (or the night before) "what pet do you have" and "Damage add please" have I really screwed up my chance in Hib with a Regrowth druid ? I'm completely reliant on groups, solo-ing is not possible at all, unless its a low green.

I'll be the first to admit - working in the right group, no one can match the heals and low mana consumption, but is this going to make me completely useless in RvR later ? I do plan on taking this Druid all the way to 50... and beyond :)

Druid: main role: healing and buffs.

Now, there are alot of threads out there in which people will argue about specs for druids, but going full regrowth, or at least 2/3 regrowth, 1/3 nurture will not reduce your chances of getting a group at all. In fact, it will more than likely increase them.

If you spec Nature (which is the pet, DoT's, and roots) you will be increasing your offensive capability. But why? Hitting things are what tanks are for. DoT? That's a Mana Mentalists job. CC? Bard.

Although it doesn't sound too exciting, a Druid is most effective standing back and healing.

Yes, speccing Nature for a few roots or DoT's to throw can liven things up, but reduces your helaing/buff spec.

At the end of the day, you play the classes the way you want to, but as I have said before, the Regrowth/Nurture Druid apears to be the most group friendly spec.

As for the Race, yes on paper a Firbolg is the best, but as has been said above, they are, like Trolls, one of the first targets in RvR.

Personally I like my Firbie Bard, simply because of the extra HP I have, and being a short Firbolg, am not that much more of a target than a large Celt.

Of course, Luri Bard would just pwn!

O

old.Downanael

Originally posted by old.ivan
Firby Dr00d = Slooooooow Heals... hehe

Not really,casting lowest heal .2 secs more than celt druid :)

O

old.Cher

Been a while so i don't know if he's still playing, but i once heard the legend of a forbolg called lourker who was pretty high regrowth spec, he was always spoke about with baited breath as the best druid in the game ( after downanael of course :) ) so regrowth druids do work, and work well they do !

J

Jood

Originally posted by keludm
Am quitting Mid for the green fields of Hib and ill be rolling a bard - got a few questions:

1. Are there too many bards already?
2. Whats a good race/spec etc?
3. Guilds - Im after a friendly guild without attitude who do a bit of rvr at later levels?

Im an experienced player and would appreciate any help

See ya all soon

1 Not in RvR (dont know about PvE)
2 Bleh Race :) Human playing smart is best :) Music 47 Nuture 43 Regrowth 16
3 That would be TG :D

C

Cernos

And im a Celt, got asked last night (or the night before) "what pet do you have" and "Damage add please" have I really screwed up my chance in Hib with a Regrowth druid ?

Good gawd no. If you go Regrowth you definitely haven't screwed up. Hib needs more regrowth druids. Yes, you won't be able to solo well, but druids aren't really intended to be a solo class. With good regrowth you will be the pivotal class in any group, keeping everyone alive. This goes without saying in PvE, but also in RvR, the druids that really turn battles are those with good regrowth, who can throw in those big heals at the right moment (this assumes you have good protection from your fellow group members).

As ever, the best spec is a well-rounded one. So if you are focusing on regrowth, don't totally ignore nurture (for good buffs) and a bit of nature (for roots and a basic pet, which can be useful for sticking on casters and stealthers in RvR).

As a celt you'll be a less obvious target in RvR too.

Which comes round to the original post:

1) No, there's definitely not too many bards. Maybe there's lots at lower levels, but fewer make it to 50 and even fewer stick it out in RvR at 50 when things get tough. Bards are the hardest class to keep alive in RvR because they are such obvious targets with their instruments. But if you find a good group who look after you, bards are battle winners.

2) Probably go celt, to be a less obvious target. As for spec, lots of different opinions but one general rule of thumb is make sure to spec for the top run speed 5, otherwise your RvR groups will be outrun by groups with skalds and minstrels who almost all have max run speed (so that's most groups you'll meet)

3) Spend some time in the realm and see who you enjoy grouping with before choosing a guild.

Good luck
Cernos, 50 Celt Hero, Hib Prydwen

K

keludm

Ta for all the help guys - seems to me a bard is pretty helpless without a group around him - is this right?

O

old.willowywicca

Originally posted by keludm
Ta for all the help guys - seems to me a bard is pretty helpless without a group around him - is this right?

yes, quite much so (excluding supposed battle bard specs, which really are a bit silly, if you want to tank.. make a proper tank ffs :D ). however with the right backup, a bard is a battle turning class, who can turn the tide of a fight in hibernia's favour, especially if left alone for a prolonged period of time. (recalls a recent fight of 3fgs of albs (<-- actually counted 25 death spams from em afterwards, but think one got ressed and killed twice.. so only 24 really) vs 1 fg of hibs (only 3 of whom died) at mmg in hadrians where our bard leah due to some basic planning of our attack, mezzed and ae lullabyed everyone as necessary single handedly taking 20+ albs out of the fight while we ganked the others, before we moved onto them ;) oh and yes, admittedly the albs weren't all lvl 50s, about 60% yellow cons, 35% blue cons and one green and grey con too -- but was still an awesome fight :D

O

old.willowywicca

regrowth (and a bit of nurture) druid == best rvr druid. lourker is currently highest rps hib and he's a regrowth druid (he's currently unguilded so doesn't show up on chronicles listings, but he is highest, trust me ;) -- bfr pretty close to him tho)

also, druid's don't have damage adds ;) they only get a self dmg add, so clearly the person asking you doesn't know much about hibs, so his opinion isn't really relevant in this regard.. (altho he prob meant dmg shield, which a casters baseline one is beter anyways.. :p )

O

old.Sko

Aye that person thought dr00ds == shamans.
As for bard
43 nurture
44 or 47 music (whether you want second ae insta or not)
rest regrowth.
Weapon speccing is basically useless for bards - if you want to bash something you're much better off with equipping staff (currently bards cannot equip them, but would be possible in 1.56 afaik).
Regrowth dr00d with MoC can make your group immortal once in 30 minutes so its much worth it. Common spec is 41 regrowth/35 nurture imo.
But if you want something really fun - try 39 mending/rest aug or pac healer. 39 mend will give you second spread heal and rest will either provide 16% resistance buffs for the group and second-best combat haste or some CC to rely upon. Personally i chose aug as second spec since i`ll be always grouping with 48 pac healer, and will still have single target mez, stun and short duration ae stun to save my butt ;)
PS. Bards are _extremly_ boring to level after 40. So find some group which wouldn`t mind PS on, /stick dr00d, afk.

K

k9awya

hi i made a bard last week here

for pve its an easy class to find a group on

im nearly lvl 40 now, so far specced full nurture and rest in regrow, once i hit 40 will respec regrow to 16, and take final spec:

43 nurture
16 regrow
47 music

Users who are viewing this thread