old.job

I've changed my avatar so I can break the Geneva convention

...ooh it felt good!

X

Xtro

Originally posted by old.job
I've changed my avatar so I can break the Geneva convention

...ooh it felt good!

I think you're a fucking bell end tbh if you think that's funny.

D

Damini

Since I cant PM you job, I'm going to have to publicly ask you change that avatar.

If you don't change it, I will get a super mod to change it. I don't like coming down like a ton of bricks, and if you disagree with this war I have no qualms with you voicing that, but I think your avatar is very unsensitive.

Again, sorry for doing this publicly rather than privately but you don't have the PM function turned on.

Damini x

O

old.LandShark

I don't approve of the avatar, but can I just point out that Iraq are not signatory to the Geneva convention? Also that broadcast was aimed at the Arab world, which if I may say so is a world that doesn't give a flying fuck about the Geneva convention.
And we're making Iraqi captives sit in the desert tied to rocks in sandstorms... humiliating no, Geneva-convention legal yes, humane? Huhmmm....

O

old.Nix

I believe it has to be a moving picture to break the Geneva convention, so...

(don't quote me on that ;) )

O

old.job

Oh dear that has caused a fuss, no it's not a problem for me to show it, as I'm not a government.
I'll change it to an Iraqi POW then, cos they don't seem to matter.

D

Damini

Job, if you knew me and my politics you'd know thats not the case.

Regardless, please can you change it, and NOT to a prisoner of war from a different side?

X

Xtro

Oh dear that has caused a fuss, no it's not a problem for me to show it, as I'm not a government.
I'll change it to an Iraqi POW then, cos they don't seem to matter.

Hmm wonder why it caused a fuss? Because its a fellow human being who's in distress, regardless of Iraqi or US.

Don't now try to take a moral tone, you thought you were being clever when you posted. Its not.

D

Damini

Can you just get rid of it all together? If you want to make a statement, there's better ways to do it than in something so flippant as an avatar.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I have to agree with Xtro here.

I can also see the statement behind job's avatar - but.. gee, get a cartoon Saddam or something. Those kids weren't really asked if they wanted to go to Iraq.:(

X

Xtro

I see its been changed. Thanks.

I don't know you as a person job, so its nothing personal or anything.

O

old.job

Blimey , talk about 'don't mention the war'.

Funny we can show pics of the guys who are killing Iraqi soldiers, and even interview them as they are doing it, listen to them cheer as another group of Iraqi's lose their lives, get taken from their families, kids lose their father etc..etc..blah..blah
But it don't matter cos they were firing at us(defending their country)

But show a God fearing American in the shit, on TV (or in a forum) and people get pissed.

I actually support the war, but peoples levels of hypocrisy still staggers me to this day.
The best thing about this war is it will be the last one EVER that public opinion will stand.

Front page of the Sunday Telegraph, colour pic of 2 dead Iraqi's in a hole, Geneva convention, my yellow hairy ass!!!!

X

Xtro

But show a God fearing American in the shit, on TV (or in a forum) and people get pissed.

Again, as previously stated, nationality of said fellow human being suffering = zero relativity. I myself don't get off on pics of people suffering or use them as an avatar.

D

Damini

That's not the point job. If you'd taken that famous picture from Vietnam of the girl running down the runway, screaming with napalm burns as your avatar it would have been the same issue. If someone had a picture of an Iraqi prisoner I'd find that equally tasteless. Its taking a picture of a human life in distress, reducing it to 25 by 25 pixels and using that as your signature image. I find that offensive.

If you really want to know what I feel about the war, then read it here , and I think you'll find I disagree with the hypocrisy as much as the next person.

O

old.Nix

Front page of the Sunday Telegraph, colour pic of 2 dead Iraqi's in a hole, Geneva convention, my yellow hairy ass!!!!

I believe it has to be a moving picture to break the Geneva convention, so...

(don't quote me on that ;) )

O

old.job

Sorry , I wasn't pointing at people here for being hypocritical, that picture was insensitive (especially to his loved one's) but that was the point.
I was merely trying to make a statement on hypocrisy
(read as racism)
It's an emotive picture, that's a real person, but he'll be OK, the regime will keep him safe cos they need him and the others, they probably have more to fear from American firepower than Iraqi revenge.
All the POW's from the first Gulf war were returned safe.

(by the way that chimps in a zoo)

O

old.Xarr

Job can you pm me the picture please?

I didn't get to see it and I'm curious now.

O

old.Gombur Glodson

My guess is that it was one of the 5 american POW's?

S

S-Gray

indeed, picture of the guy with the wounds on his face

O

old.LandShark

American POW who has kept his uniform, been given food and water and not (yet, albeit) interrogated or harmed but is filmed and asked his name is a breach of the Geneva convention... and yet we're sitting OUR POWs tied to rocks tied up in a sandstorm. I'm extremely glad Saddam broadcast words to that effect, because it is seriously important that everyone appreciates the utter bollocks being spouted by the US + Allies atm..

O

old.Xarr

Anyone want to link it? Haven't seen much of the war these past days.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by old.LandShark
American POW who has kept his uniform, been given food and water and not (yet, albeit) interrogated or harmed but is filmed and asked his name is a breach of the Geneva convention... and yet we're sitting OUR POWs tied to rocks tied up in a sandstorm. I'm extremely glad Saddam broadcast words to that effect, because it is seriously important that everyone appreciates the utter bollocks being spouted by the US + Allies atm..

What Landshark said... don't forget all the civilian casualties the US gov. won't mention. Bombing civilians is against the Geneva convention, too - as far as I know.

They also nuked a bus with Syrian workers to bits.

Hey... lets just call it collateral damage.

C

Cavex ElSaviour

Btw did they show the POW's and the dead americ soldies in the UK and in the US?

G

Gekul

Not yesterday, but today they did :/

And they filmed prisoners from iraq, but that was ok because they technically weren't prisoners of war. :rolleyes:

F

Fafnir

Originally posted by Gekul
Not yesterday, but today they did :/

And they filmed prisoners from iraq, but that was ok because they technically weren't prisoners of war. :rolleyes:
Did they interview then, broadcasting their names?

O

old.job

No ,Faf they didn't , that's cos people in the west don't care, some Iraqi called Shaeed Iglogbigglyblog ain't gonna stir any emotions, just another Arab peasant. We don't ask them their names, not because of any convention, it's just that were not interested and we don't think their countrymen back home will be either.
That's the view of the masses, luckily the forces on the ground do take their names and inform their loved ones.

C

Cadire

Erm, they don't ask them their names on TV because they're not allowed to (I distinctly heard a British soldier ask a cameraman not to film a prisoner's face, or film while he was being questioned). They're also not allowed to film prisoners in a way that will identify them.

Whether they are allowed to film them at all is debatable morally, but deemed acceptable as part of the recording of the overall war.

Users who are viewing this thread