Help New All In One Printer?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I currently have a Dell AIO922 printer which is fantastic, never jams and I have never had to clean the heads, it is amazing and was free with a laptop a while back.

I want to get a new printer though, why, you may ask. Well because the cartridges are insanely dear (£33 for colour and £23 for black). I bought some remanufactured ones and they simply don't work very well at all.

I have had Epson, Cannon, HP printers before and while I found the HP ones the best I am in the same boat as now with the expensive carts. I thought Cannon and Epson were shit when it came to having to clean the heads every other time I used them, are they still as bad? Will they need cleaning if I only use the printer occasionally?

So lads which is the best printer on the market at the minute that is all in one (printer, copier, scanner) and around the £80 or below mark? It must have decently priced cartridges as well.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Tremz0r - I have a wireless Lexmark X4650. It doesn't tick the box for cheap cartridges (but who does?) but I've been pretty impressed with how it has performed. It does scan/copy etc too and is hadily sitting out of the way in a back room ready to fire up as and when needed over the wireless net. I'd give it a thumbs up if you end up going that route.

Trem

Tremz0r - I have a wireless Lexmark X4650. It doesn't tick the box for cheap cartridges (but who does?) but I've been pretty impressed with how it has performed. It does scan/copy etc too and is hadily sitting out of the way in a back room ready to fire up as and when needed over the wireless net. I'd give it a thumbs up if you end up going that route.

I think the Dell printers are Lexmark but rebranded so I did look for Lexmark first but it seems like they are just as expensive for carts.

I reckon I could buy a new all in one printer for what it would cost to replace my cartridges which is just madness.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dell did indeed used to be Lexmark rebrands. I have no immediate suggestions save for the fact that I purchased my Canon because it has separate colour inkwells. So when black or magenta run out I don't need a £30 cartridge but a £7 one.

Suggest you hunt down the manufacturers you think are reliable and browse through to find one with separate tanks. Will save you £££.

Kryten

Old Cow.
They're all about as bad as eachother. For this reason I plumped for a £30 HP (F2280) which does the job rather well. Carts cost £20 for both from Asda, remanufactured but for the price I'm hardly complaining - and quality is still top notch. The real things are £35 for both - £5 more than the cost of the printer.

I tend to treat the printer/all in one in the same way as the ink : disposable items.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
what about the kodak one thats advertised with carts for a tenner ?

Trem

what about the kodak one thats advertised with carts for a tenner ?

They get dreadful reviews from people who own them, constant jams and software errors.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I would warn anyone away from Lexmark. Their policy is sell the printers cheap, make the money back on the ink consumables. They also jam like mad.

My preference would be the Brother DCP 585CW inkjet multifunction printer. It is wireless as well as USB and prints excellent photos with official carts. An official black cartridge costs about £10-£12 and prints 450 sheets (2.666p/pg) but you can pick up compatibles for much less (for example 12 carts for £19 inc.del from eBay).

Trem

Gone for this after checking on the price of the cartridges it seemed the best bet. I will basically be getting it for free if I think about what I would of just spent on new carts for the Dell.

Its complete madness.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Gone for this after checking on the price of the cartridges it seemed the best bet. I will basically be getting it for free if I think about what I would of just spent on new carts for the Dell.

Its complete madness.

Welcome to the world of pain otherwise known as "HP Driver Hell" :eek:

Trem

Welcome to the world of pain otherwise known as "HP Driver Hell" :eek:

Aye I am expecting fun, but its worth a bash seeing as if it works ok I will save a fortune. If it doesn't I will send it back.

Actually thinking about I have Vista 64bit, I am going to have a right fucking laugh aren't I?

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Actually thinking about I have Vista 64bit, I am going to have a right fucking laugh aren't I?

My C4380 worked fine on 64bit Vista (and didn't complain one iota when installed on the 64bit Windows 7 RC)
Some advice is to grab the latest driver from the HP website first.

the only real time I have personally seen problems with 64bit printing, is when your having to do it across arch's. Like having a 64bit print server, and 32bit clients :eek:
(queue rebuilding the print server to a 32bit OS just to reduce that headache)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom