New 24 megapixel camera from Sony

dysfunction

FH is my second home
People will still use their superior iphone's! :D :p

/dig

Some cameras have more megapixels but the picture has more noise in it.
There must come a point where you don't need any more megapixels?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Well there is a whole avenue of debate there around "can current lenses make the most of the resolution?" and "who needs that resolution anyway?" and "it's all marketing nonsense". Those are best kept between camera nerds on camera forums ;).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Is this full frame? I'm guessing not at the "semi-pro" designation and the pricepoint. It does look mighty impressive though, some nice tech in there. Will the purists cry about an EVF?

More resolution is never a bad thing, as long they can keep control of the noise (especially on crop sensors).

I'm waiting to see what Canon have to say about the 5d3. ;)

edit - ahh, APS-C.

old.user4556

Nah, it's APS-C. There is a pretty good early comparison over here:

Sony Alpha SLT-A77 Camera - Hands-On Preview

Looks like it gives the Canon EOS 1DS Mk3 (same sensor in the 5D Mk2) a good run for it's money at base ISO, but the image quality falls away significantly at increased ISO compared to the full-frame sensors. It's great to see how far APS-C sensor technology has come though given that APS-C makes up the signifcant majority of DSLR users. I am really looking forward to what Canon and Nikon have up their sleeves for their next full-frame cameras.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Unless you're a serious photographer, why would you need one? You can get phones with, what? 12MP in them. More than enough for point & shoot & post/share.

old.user4556

Bear in mind this is Sony's flagship camera, so it's squarely aimed at the serious enthusiast with a price tag to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom