NEVER buy a Dell Laptop(Warning long read)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Or Compaq!

Buying compaq is like playing russian roulette with only one chamber empty :(

About 4 years ago had a stock of about 20 compaq laptops. About 17 if i recall correctly all developed the SAME monitor fault. Each took varying time to fault but sure enough it happened in the end. They all had faulty connectors on the hinge joining the screen to the base. Even the replacements parts developed the same problem after after a few months use.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
tris- said:
firstly how have they advertised it wrong? they included video editing as a high end application. they didnt include games :p. they may well be something somewhere that states games are not classed as such, by them.
try running adobe premiere for more than 10 mins without the laptop going into seizures, it cannot run high end programs unless its just my laptop, but i can live with that i do however want to play games for a hr or 2 without worrying about it overheating.

i paid £1,200 for this heap of shit, first time i got it the network card was broken, i explained it was broken.. it took 2 weeks for them to admit that the port on the network card was in fact broken!

They have given me a phone number for "advanced technical support" i will see how it goes

and also - asking to spk to the line manager? lol, makes me laugh everyday at work. what do you want a manager to do? make up some crazy solution just to suit you? they are obviously given procedures from dell, and thats what they follow.
you make me laugh irl taking such a narrow view, a manager can do what you cant. A manager can issue refunds for example, aswell as the fact that if someone complained that something was advertised wrong i doubt you would do anything about it. Generally managers also are patronising idiots who dont know what they are doing and read off a database for answers

But back on topic others with the same model and make dont have the problem.

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
Reading the response from Dell he was dead right.

Laptops are just not designed to run things like DOAC or any other graphically intensive application (like Adobe premier), unless you get a high end laptop. Judging by the price you paid, you went for the cheap end of the market and it's not one of the high end laptops. It may have cost you £1000, but you're paying for the portability, not performance. These things are really designed for business, and to run office and outlook.

I have a Latitude D600 with 64Mb graphics and 2Gb ram. It can play things like WoW for about an hour, until it gets too hot then it starts to seriously lag, eventually crashing. This is purely down to poor heat dissapation due to the laptop. You'll never get away from that, short of putting it on a bag of frozen peas.

Next time, buy the right tool for the job.

PS: I manage about 50 Dell laptops, 40 dell desktops and 20 dell servers in 10 offices accross europe. I get excellent customer service from them, but then I dont go in ranting and raving.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Smurflord said:
PS: I manage about 50 Dell laptops, 40 dell desktops and 20 dell servers in 10 offices accross europe. I get excellent customer service from them, but then I dont go in ranting and raving.

business customer > private customer!!!11111oneoneoneone

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Using a Dell at work and at home (company comps) have nothing but good to say about them, psu broke down in my home comp. Picked up phone diled the number and had a new psu in the mail 2 days later(no charge or anything).

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Buy the components yourself and make a nice desktop computer if you want the best for gaming and stuff

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Played DAOC and WoW on my Tosh without problem even for extended periods.

So, agreeing with the topic - dont buy DELL.

We use HP servers and HP/IBM workstations and TOSH laptops - DELL got the boot ages ago from our company.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Smurflord said:
Reading the response from Dell he was dead right.

Laptops are just not designed to run things like DOAC or any other graphically intensive application (like Adobe premier), unless you get a high end laptop. Judging by the price you paid, you went for the cheap end of the market and it's not one of the high end laptops. It may have cost you £1000, but you're paying for the portability, not performance. These things are really designed for business, and to run office and outlook.

I have a Latitude D600 with 64Mb graphics and 2Gb ram. It can play things like WoW for about an hour, until it gets too hot then it starts to seriously lag, eventually crashing. This is purely down to poor heat dissapation due to the laptop. You'll never get away from that, short of putting it on a bag of frozen peas.

Next time, buy the right tool for the job.

Thats just it, i was told by the salesman it could do video editing, and it could play most games. It is the highest end laptop Dell offers to private customers (£1200 was educational discount through work), Radeon 9700 Mobility 128mb, 1.5gig ram, 7200 80gig hdd.
I have dealings with Dell through work, we have 200+ servers. I explained to my contact in Dell from work and he is getting it sorted. Turns out there is a problem with the heatskin in my laptop and they took it for repair..
surprise surprise

Quite sad i had to result to that tbh i feel sorry for any home user who has to deal with them, specially someone who is not particualry computer literate

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
It is a shame to resort to that, but its how business works now.

Working for the RAF on a 200+ servers across the world is a pain, but it seems things only get done when a friend-of-a-friend steps in :(

I also totally agree about the Business > Home user thing, Dell was fine for me when doing support years ago... but home users get the finger it seems.

Using a Sony FS215B and its great, plays most games with little lag and can crank the gfx up on this X-Black screen :)

Sony are by far the best I think, in terms of support, probably followed by Compaq and then IBM (although I am slightly biased there...)

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Thats just it, i was told by the salesman it could do video editing, and it could play most games. It is the highest end laptop Dell offers to private customers (£1200 was educational discount through work), Radeon 9700 Mobility 128mb, 1.5gig ram, 7200 80gig hdd.
I have dealings with Dell through work, we have 200+ servers. I explained to my contact in Dell from work and he is getting it sorted. Turns out there is a problem with the heatskin in my laptop and they took it for repair..
surprise surprise

Quite sad i had to result to that tbh i feel sorry for any home user who has to deal with them, specially someone who is not particualry computer literate

See thats the problem Chronic mate..... "A salesman told me ......".
A salesman will tell you any old bollocks just to make the sale.
My wife was passing an Anne Summers shop the other day and a woman was outside waving this huge dildo thing shouting "Buy this and you will never need a man again!!!".
Now if she had been shouting "Buy this but you will still need a man now and again !!! " she wouldnt sell very many now would she?

Oh btw wife wants to know if anyone knows how to put a "Rampant Rabbit" into turbo mode.
Dammned if I know what she's on about.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Rookiescot said:
See thats the problem Chronic mate..... "A salesman told me ......".
A salesman will tell you any old bollocks just to make the sale.
My wife was passing an Anne Summers shop the other day and a woman was outside waving this huge dildo thing shouting "Buy this and you will never need a man again!!!".
Now if she had been shouting "Buy this but you will still need a man now and again !!! " she wouldnt sell very many now would she?

Oh btw wife wants to know if anyone knows how to put a "Rampant Rabbit" into turbo mode.
Dammned if I know what she's on about.
Actually wrote his name down and sent it to customer complaints, hopefully will get me a refund too if i yell load enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom