Networking Problems

Baldanah

Fledgling Freddie
Hi , need a bit of help if possible .

I've got 2 comps linked through LAN cable .

Main ( gateway ) is an AMD 2200+ , 1gig ddr 400 , ADSL Connexant chipset PCI card , Abit NF7S MB , Radeon ATI 9600 pro 128

the other is an old AMD 750 , 750 mb Sdram , GF4MX 440 , tBase10/100 ethernet adapter .

The problem i'm having is when i'm running both comps on the net my Main ( gateway ) comp ( ICS job ) wil run ok for a while , then i get blue screen of death with :-

IRQL_Equals _Not_Less_Or_Greater_Than

its giving the error in " Nvenet.sys " which i'm guessing is my Onboard Lan controller on the NF7S mb .

Now i only get this when the other comp is on and connected to the net and dl , or logged in on second account etc .

Doesn't happen any other time .

I've updated MB drivers and Bios , dx is 9.0b , soundcard is latest drivers , using latest cats .

Anyone got any suggestions , grateful for any help given .

Gahn

Resident Freddy
eek

Baldanah said:
Hi , need a bit of help if possible .

I've got 2 comps linked through LAN cable .

Main ( gateway ) is an AMD 2200+ , 1gig ddr 400 , ADSL Connexant chipset PCI card , Abit NF7S MB , Radeon ATI 9600 pro 128

the other is an old AMD 750 , 750 mb Sdram , GF4MX 440 , tBase10/100 ethernet adapter .

The problem i'm having is when i'm running both comps on the net my Main ( gateway ) comp ( ICS job ) wil run ok for a while , then i get blue screen of death with :-

IRQL_Equals _Not_Less_Or_Greater_Than

its giving the error in " Nvenet.sys " which i'm guessing is my Onboard Lan controller on the NF7S mb .

Now i only get this when the other comp is on and connected to the net and dl , or logged in on second account etc .

Doesn't happen any other time .

I've updated MB drivers and Bios , dx is 9.0b , soundcard is latest drivers , using latest cats .

Anyone got any suggestions , grateful for any help given .

At a 1st look seems u have an hardware conflict between your Lan controller and another piece of hardware, to check this out under win2k riglt click My Computer > Manage > System Information > Hardware Resources > Conflicts/Shares (or something like that).
So check if u have something like that, in that case u should set the bios of your MB to plug and play auto (or if so just reset it).
Might be even that u didn't upgraded chipset / lan driver to latest drivers (be sure to read pathc notes tho to avoid conflicts with your existing hardware).
It's just a start, hope it helps to give u some hints.

Baldanah

Fledgling Freddie
I checked for conflicts first off , and nothing is showing , both comps running WinXp .
All drivers are latest as far as i can tell , including for the Lan etc .

thanks for the help though :)

anyone else got any other suggestions ?

emma

Loyal Freddie
Sounds like you have problem with the network configuration. If it works fine as a LAN and only crashes when using TCP-IP software (ie internet browsing/gaming etc) then it could be your settings are not corrent for TCP-IP on your network or your ADSL card doesnt like sharing the connection.

I`d double check your settings for both machines and make sure TCP-IP shows up under the properties section for your network config. If thats is correct then it might mean getting a new DSL modem thats compatible with TCP-IP (could just be naff drivers) or look into getting a combined Router and DSL modem around £80-90 for a decent one.

If your DSL PCI card is internal is it Hardware or Software based ?

1. Hardware should work fine providing the drivers are aload of crap.

2. Software might be causing the problems your getting in which case you new modem if you want to share the connection.

Baldanah

Fledgling Freddie
The DSL card is Hardware , and doesn't have a problem sharing resources , used it with my old mb on the network without any probs .

Both comps are TCP / IP configured , double checked them , no conflicts that i can see at all .

Someone in another thread i created has suggested i may not get rid of the problem unless i get a PCI NIC , so have one on order just in case :p .

This problem has only appeared since i changed my MB from a soltek to the Abit NF7S , which is why i think its the ABits Onboard Lan causing the trouble .

I am also looking at routers anyway , as would rather use one tbh , but its a question of when i'll have the £ spare .

Thanks for the advice and suggestions , plse keep them coming so i can rule out ( or not ) as i test things out , as i'm an amatuer when it comes to networking :p

P.s I've even tried a completely clean install of XP from a formatted drive :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom