Networking Computers

O

old.tRoG

Righty, I've just got another computer for the home, and I want to set up a network, so that you can play games between the two, share files, share an internet connection etc.

But:

I'm a n00b.

I've been reading around, and I'm under the impression that I need to buy two cards which slot into the back of the two computers, a hub thinger, and some cables.

I was wonder if, and where, I could buy all that stuff in a kit.

Also, any other things which I should be doing, tell me. Please keep all answers techno-speak free.... I don't understand it :)

S

saltymcpepper

need to do the same thing so heres a *bump*

M

Meatballs

Netgear do a starter kit, you don't technically need a hub, but you will if you ever want to connect more than two computers at one time. SAS actually did a guide on BarrysWorld, let me dig up a link, and a link to that netgear stuff:

SAS's Networking Guide:

http://guides.barrysworld.com/networking.php?section=24

Netgear Starter Kits:

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=44&view=hm

or if you want to spend a little more and get a bit faster:

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=45&view=hm

Hangon, just find somewhere you can buy these from... here we go, faster one from dabs:

http://www.dabs.com/SXQMF

Bit on the expensive side, you could scrape together the bits and pieces needed cheaper, but it be a lot more hassle I would think, especially if you don't know too much about what you are doing.

O

old.tRoG

*kisses Meatball*

*realises what he's just done and quickly covers his mistake by flexing in a manly way when the missus walks by*

M

matax

I run 2 PC's off my NTL broadband account.

2 x Ethernet 10/100 network cards (one per PC).
1 x Router.

Cable from NTL cable modem to router, cables from router to each PC's network card.

Bought my router from PC World (yuk!) for about £50.

Works fine and easily runs 2 accounts via the one connection (and thats only 128k broadband).

G

Gabrial

Originally posted by old.tRoG
I was wonder if, and where, I could buy all that stuff in a kit.

I did exactly this just last week. I went to PC World, £29.99 got me a huge network cable, 2 network cards and a bit of software that is probby better off being binned, all in one special box. However, once the two network cards were in I just plugged the machines together and hey presto, networked.

/edit: Oh, I use a USB modem so I dont need a router but you will need windows 98 SE (Second edition) or higher to share the internet connection in this way. Failing that, you need some third party software to act as a proxy and this will share your internet connection between the two machines.

O

old.tRoG

I use the BT 'Home Highway' - I think it's ASDL, but I can't really remember :p

It's connected with the USB socket.

D

Draigo

I Just used 2 10/100 etherneet cards a crossover utp cable and
Windows XP (setup home or small office network)

or if you have Windows2000/ME/98 just download Wingate

T

Teh Krypt

tRoG, if your after connecting just two computers, simly get one twisted wire thingie-mi-bob.. it connects both comps directly.

Afink? :p

G

Gabrial

Originally posted by Draigo
I Just used 2 10/100 etherneet cards a crossover utp cable and
Windows XP (setup home or small office network)

or if you have Windows2000/ME/98 just download Wingate

Can you give me a site to download from? I had a look but cant seem to find anywhere...

C

Chameleon

You can connect 2 pc's using just 2 network cards, a cross over cable and windows ICS (internet connection sharing). However, if you just have a straight forward cable/adsl modem, you probably have no firewall with this setup. Software firewalls aren't great, can be a real pain in the arse and use processor resources. Also, with ICS, you need to have the first pc on, for the other to get net access.
The best option imo is to buy a router with a hub in it. Connect socket --> router --> network cards ..... then configure the router for NAT and you have an 'always on' internet connection with both pc's having independant access to the internet, a hardware firewall, and an internal network if you wanted too.
www.solwise.co.uk has some nice examples of routers.

O

old.job

From what I've read, a router is a must for broadband, because
1: you can turn either pc off without losing connection.
2:the router sorts all the packets out and directs them to the correct pc, thus taking load off network card of other pc's return packets.
3:It stops the first pc having to act as a kind of server, just to return the correct mac address to the broadband link.

T

Teh Fonz!!1

Look, if you're after wingate you should download the trial demo and use it for a month.

If, after a month you like it and want to carry on using it you should buy a license from them.

You should definatly NOT go on kazaa or any other file sharing p2p program and download a small program that cracks wingate for you and supplies you with a username and password allowing you to use wingate for free.

Using this username and password might be easy and free but it's also illegal.

Illegal and undetectable.

(I also don't recommend downloading Kazaa lite as it is not nice on the people who put shit loads of spyware on your computer via regular kazaa)

S

saltymcpepper

Originally posted by Teh Fonz!!1
Look, if you're after wingate you should download the trial demo and use it for a month.

If, after a month you like it and want to carry on using it you should buy a license from them.

You should definatly NOT go on kazaa or any other file sharing p2p program and download a small program that cracks wingate for you and supplies you with a username and password allowing you to use wingate for free.

Using this username and password might be easy and free but it's also illegal.

Illegal and undetectable.

(I also don't recommend downloading Kazaa lite as it is not nice on the people who put shit loads of spyware on your computer via regular kazaa)

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread