Network Wiring

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Hi,

I'm about to get some wiring work done on the house and thought I might get a bit of network cabling put in at the same time.

I have a netgear router/modem in my office, and would like to have network points in 2 different rooms, both needing to feed into that router (as it stands).

Ideally I would like one RJ45 type socket in the office and one in each of the other rooms, but i don't know if this is possible. Will I need 2 sockets in this room each connected to one of the others? Or is there a way to run each of the other 2 sockets from just one in the office, on 1 cable? I guess this would mean that both the other PCs would be connected into one socket on the router.

Does this make sense?

Many thanks

RB

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I would suggest you go wireless, as it's easier, cheaper and doesn't involve drilling holes in things, but...

You either need something like a small patch panel in your office (or the two sockets as you suggest, I think you can get a double socket from maplins or similar) connected to the remote sockets, each of which needs a seperate cable, or you can simply get the cables terminated loose in your office (the panel is neater, but more expensive) you then obviously need a hub/switch in your office to connect the cables to (which may be a part of your router).

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
As for 2 sockets on one cable: Yes. If you plan to just use it for your pc's and nothing else, 4 wires a piece is enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom