Network speed quiz

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So me and my wife run both pcs off the same network, same router, same network cables yet she gets 7000 (900kb/s) upload speed and I get 5678-6500, she uses a longer network cable than me and i'm closer to the router than she is, whats going on? it's wracking my brain trying to work out what the issue is.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Have you got your cat5 cable in the correct direction?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Have you got your cat5 cable in the correct direction?

yes, tried multiple cables, tried changing duplex mode, lan port everything :p she's still getting 100kb/s more than me via speed tests, its not a huge issue but its annoying fuck and makes no logical sense. her motherboard is older than mine, cable she uses is 15m one I use is 5m.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It was somewhat of a meta joke relating to the £500 Lan cables! :p

I have no idea, it could be any number of things like drivers, motherboard manufacturer where you are uploading to etc.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
In your advanced TCP/IP settings, check items such as MTU size...

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Meh, the mind boggles. and @Jupitus I'm about as network literate as a mouse playing golf.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
the network interface in her lappy is better quality than yours, deal with it.

example:
a million years ago I used to admin Novel server clusters using a special clustering software package. The clusters would sync with each other using a dedicated network link and we used pretty good 100Mb cards for it (back in the day, eh). I built up a cluster in our test lab to praccy on, also with a 100Mb dedicated link and got about 85% of the performance we got with the best-in-class cards. It's not about sync-speed, etc, because if a card doesn't meet that it's simply not up to rated spec. It's about card and driver performance, iops, etc, which will truly show it's performance.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Update...

Speedtest done by wife at 21:02pm 01/04/2014

Download Speed: 41633 kbps (5204.1 KB/sec) Upload Speed: 6714 kbps (839.3 KB/sec)

Speedtest done by me at 21:03pm 01/04/2014

Download Speed: 42267 kbps (5283.4 KB/sec) Upload Speed: 462 kbps (57.8 KB/sec)
Just to get this all straight-

Same network
Both using 1gb/s network adapters
Both wired
Both using Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition
Both using desktop pc's
Both using latest network drivers + latest windows updates
Tried Windows Explorer, Chrome and Firefox, no difference between them
Tried leaving the router off for a few hours earlier
Tried swapping wires to different ports on both computers
Tried using different wires completely
Tried booting up in safemode with networking, still slow
Tried opening resource monitor but nothing is sending out anything above the ordinary (in fact no traffic going out at all except the odd 74b/sec-600b/sec - never topping more than 2kb/s total)
Tried running malware scans using Malware Bytes + MSE

At a loss and quite pissed off now

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
run speedtest 10 x you usually get 10 different results due to usual contention in the interweb. To test properly connect a storage device on the network. Place >100 Mb file on it and run tests to ftp it down. Only speed test you can run without adding external contention through ISP and interweb.

It is probably down to chipset / drivers for the network in the lappy. Also as someone pointed out above, frame size - MTU settings - make sure they are all equal.

Last edited:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
It was somewhat of a meta joke relating to the £500 Lan cables! :p

Used to have the same debunking discussions in 90's about speaker wire polarity (lol) and certain HiFi reviewers that claimed they could hear the difference. There is some science behind it but the differences are so minimal and barely measurable that there is no way they could possibly have heard any difference.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
onboard network is confirmed to be fucked, had a mate around earlier who brought a network adapter with him... got full speed on that when it was plugged so i've just ordered a new one off amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom