Network problems

Gamah

Banned
Hi

I just moved into a new house that has a network, I connect to the net though a N-Way switch that runs down to a cable modem and out to the net (There are 4 pc's connected to the switch..now My net is fine when browsing the web but as soon as I download something or the net uses a lot of bandwidth (50k/s+) The connection to the switch goes dead (Still connected but idle and cant refresh IP etc) and I need to reboot my pc to get access again.

Anyone know the problem, the switch is a Genius 5080 N-Way Switch and the card is an onboard one.

Its really annoying...

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also happens if there is not a lot of bandwidth bt a constant stream of data, lake DAOC or Online-Radio

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
interresting thing... very tempted to let you brew in it, cos you're a filthy albie... but bah.. my conscious plays up.. (didn't knew I had one, ahwell, everyday learning something new..) :p

Does this only happen with your puter? or also with the other three?

If it only happens with your one, could I get the full specs of the pc and which windows you're using?

If it happens with all other 4, does it happen simultaneously?, like in 1 pc locks up, all other 3 do aswell at THAT time??

Gamah

Banned
Well, I have tried it with just me plugged into the switch and the exact same thing happened.

I am not sure about the other pc's I will check today, Full Spec's of my Machine are

AMD XP2800+
MSI Mobo (Cant remember name (uses Nforce 2 N-Bridge))
Radeon 9800 128mb Graphics Card
1gig Crucial PC4000 Ballistix RAM
200 Gig Seagate SATA HD and 200gig IDE HD
Creative Soundblaster 6.1 Audigy

I will try another network card in pc when my mate gets out of bed (lazy students ;s)

Gamah

Banned
Ahh the onboard network card is a Broadcom Broadcom xtreme gigabit one. I am also using Windows XP SP2

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Upgrade network drivers (http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php) and make sure (since i reckon your switch is a 10/100) to force the giga card to 100 mbit (full duplex if supported by the switch), they tend to have some problems if plugged to "stupid" switches. U may also want to turn off TCP/IP Checksum and IPSec offload (in case it got it).

Gamah

Banned
Tried the upgrade and modifications, will let you know how it goes.

Gamah

Banned
still got the same problem, gping to try changing the network cards.

Gamah

Banned
Put in a new network card..working fine now :d

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom