network/interweb trouble

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
I've got a problem with my internet connection. (I'm using a broadband connection.)
It works fine when plugged into my pc, but if the network cable which connects my pc to my brothers is plugged in it doesn't work at all. Even through the router. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
haarewin said:
I've got a problem with my internet connection. (I'm using a broadband connection.)
It works fine when plugged into my pc, but if the network cable which connects my pc to my brothers is plugged in it doesn't work at all. Even through the router. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

What kinda connection between your pc and router? usb?
If so u enabled the Internet Connection Sharing?
If so your bro's pc is set for Dhcp?

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
not a usb, ethernet connection.
i've currently removed the router though.
i've got no idea what dhcp is though :x

Gahn

Resident Freddy
haarewin said:
not a usb, ethernet connection.
i've currently removed the router though.
i've got no idea what dhcp is though :x

Okay so u got 2 ethernet cards on your pc, one connected to the router and one connected to your bro's pc?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Okay give the configuration working on the ethernet card connected to the router, u need to go in properties of that Network Connection and enable Internet Connection Sharing, that bit will "transform"
your pc in a DHCP Server (it gives away automatically TCP/Ip configuration) and in a router itself.
Then u need to make sure that your Bro's pc Network Connection, in the Tcp/Ip properties got all set to Obtain an Ip Address Automatically and Obtain Dns server address automatically.
That should work.
Else u could always buy a 5 port switch and connect router and 2 pcs to that one ^^

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
when i try that it says "the specified service does not exist as an installed service"
does this mean it's somehow been uninstalled? :/

Gahn

Resident Freddy
haarewin said:
when i try that it says "the specified service does not exist as an installed service"
does this mean it's somehow been uninstalled? :/

Yep seems it didn't get installed, so either u need to install it or fall back to other chance to buy a Switch and 3 straight cables and connect the 3 pieces to that one.

Strokes

Fledgling Freddie
i am thinking normal and crossed cables :)
but modern routers should be able to handle that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom