Confused Netgear router as a network hub and wireless issue

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Ok. My dad came down to visit today, brought his laptop and I formatted and put Win 7 Ultimate on there, along with all drivers. Connected to my wireless with no trouble. Had a phone call a while ago. Told me that his laptop wouldn't connect to his wireless. He has the correct wireless key and yet it tells him it's incorrect.

Now here's where things get funky. My dad is with Virgin and his Virgin router isn't wireless. So he bought a netgear router and a mate of his connected it to the virgin router and somehow managed to turn it into a network hub. No idea how he managed to do that so I'm all out of ideas. I had him go into the router settings and the wireless pin there matches what is on the router casing. It was connecting to the wireless before I formatted and reinstalled but I didn't do anything other than install the drivers for the wireless adapter so I have no idea why it wouldn't connect now.

Anyone?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Look for a setting on both routers called RIP and enable it - there's a couple of settings but I'm buggered if I can remember what the specifics are. Have a play and within a couple of goes you should be able to nail it.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would start by typing the password into a text document to make sure it comes out right. Regional settings num lock ect. Then I would try to join it from another device. If that does not work reset the SSID and Password.

Access Denied

Thanks for the tips guys. One problem, my dad came down to see me, he lives around 150 miles away so I can't just pop round. He's also very basic when it comes to computers and can manage to get me lost when I'm talking through things, even when I'm looking at the same thing on my computer.

I told him that he'll have to get his mate to sort it out.

Cheers.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If he has a LAN cable you could get him to connect via that and give you TeamViewer access to trouble shoot would make your life a bit easier.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The key will be typed wrong or the network security type will be set wrong. As for using his netgear router as a switch, easy just plug it into the virgin router and it's a go.

Access Denied

TeamViewer is the bollocks! Got it all sorted.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom