Advice net nanny etc...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
as my son is now reaching a point where he can operate a computer , i was wondering if anyone has any experience of this sort of stuff, so i dont have to keep a 24/7 watch on what hes doing

any one tried any of it, or got suggestions, etc

Yaka

Part of the furniture
looked into this some time ago for friends and my nieces. tried a few parental programs for windows but they were all preety shit things might have changed now but ive not kept up with windows side of things.
for my sisters kids, made sure she insisted her pc/lappy was always in the livving room or kitchen. for lappys kensington locks are brill for keep stuff on spot. as for OS at first she wernt happy that after a bit testing i decided on ubuntu ( it also as parental content stuff built in now) with dansguardian and helped along with with open dns. preety much everything is filtered out that both of us believe is not suitable for children. its still not 100% perfect but then nothing ever will be

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I use a two-pronged approach to filter content on my daughter's netbook.

First step is to use OpenDNS for your home network. It's really easy to setup and makes it easy to block categories of pages if you wish. You can also use it to selectively block individual sites (which is great if you want to punish little darling by blocking their favourite site).

K9 Web Protection is a program you install on the computer that provides filtering based on category or blocklist. You can also set times that internet access is allowed, which is handy for enforcing bedtime when they want to keep using their computer.

I am however looking at a more technical solution where I run multiple virtual machines (VMs) on a server that anyone can access from any computer in the house. The catch is that the ONLY link to the router is through the server running the VMs... so if you want net acess, you have to log into "your" VM first. I haven't worked out the details of hardware and routing yet, but I've got the software already (VMware ESXi 5, VSphere, OS software licences).

soze

I am a FH squatter
Have you looked on your Router? My Draytek at home has the option to turn on Category Filtering it is a pay for service but the 30 day trial I ran during the last summer holidays was excellent. All my cousins had to make an offering of 50 pence if they wanted access to anything other than the Cartoon Network site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom