Negative reps

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Any chance we could get these implemented?

I do realise your probably a bit reluctant because there would be a bit of a hysteria about it at the start, people negative repping each other every five seconds, but it would die down eventually, much like the reputation points as they are at the moment.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i wouldnt agree with neg reps. wouldnt it be easier just not to rep at all?

Will

/bin/su
The were originally disabled because of widespread abuse of them. It would just start again if it was re-enabled.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
The were originally disabled because of widespread abuse of them. It would just start again if it was re-enabled.

Oops, I didnt know they were enabled at one stage.

But there is things that can be done, for example making it so you need atleast 100 (or whatever ammount) of rep points before you can start negative repping, if thats possible of course.

And also, I remeber when people first became aware of rep points, there was intially alot of abuse, but it eventually ended, I think this would be the case with negative repuation points also.

As it is, reputation points are a meter that just goes up, instead of showing if someone is more often than not either funny, or makes a good point.

Will

/bin/su
The problem was that people would just randomly negative rep, so they could then positive rep their buddies again. I'm surprised it was reactivated at all, given the rep farming and other abuse.

Its not my choice, I'm a mod, not an administrator, but I can't see it being reactivated tbh. People keep proving they can't play nicely, so they don't get to play at all.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Personally I think the rep stuff sucks, I think Wills post above is very good but it just whinges that I must give others rep first... yay, great.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I think its fairly obvious that us Generalites don't really give a toss about rep points, but the DAOCers get their panties moist about the damn things, so let them have negative points if that's what they want; the goings on in their strange land mean nothing to us humans.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
*rep DaGaffer*

actually I read that wrong :) I don't know VBB well enough to know if it's possible to selectively appoint forums to allow A or deny B. Imo, but who am I :), we should turn off the rep system.

tbh I actually like the system in the redvsblue forums, where the members can get a total of 9 "awards" given out by the people in the rvb crew. I like that, though it does create an opening for extreme brownnosing.

it seems nice to try such a thing in the DAoC forii. each mod would get an "award", (perhaps a gem of their own colour?) and could give that to a user who made them laugh, or was especially helpful or something like that. repping by users would thus be disabled, and only gods and other super-folk could give out candy.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
I think Negative reps were taken away because the Daoc crowd were Neg repping there in game enemys :)

The whole rep system relys on both positive and negative rep, it should be disabled all together instead of one of them being taken away.

DaGaffer

Bubble said:
I think Negative reps were taken away because the Daoc crowd were Neg repping there in game enemys :)

And we care because...? It's not like 'reputation' does anything. If it was a path to free booze and hot women I could see a point, but that ain't gonna happen, so why worry?

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
And we care because...? It's not like 'reputation' does anything. If it was a path to free booze and hot women I could see a point, but that ain't gonna happen, so why worry?

You seem to have issues with people who use this forum for the daoc part, theres some nice usergroups you can leave if you don't enjoy the spam from that part. :wanker:

Don't yell at me, i didn't disable it. Just telling you the reasons why.

TdC

catch22 then. forum people will bitch if <insert thingy here> isn't implemented, and will abuse if it is. as we're all like that, with a few exceptions who will remain nameless, the way out is not to play (or force conformity)

forcing things is bad (unless you like being called a nazi fascist bastard moderator for example) so there is no playing.

I'm afraid that the people who fail to understand the difference between the virtual world of <the game> and the virtual world of <the forum> / real life will keep ruining things like rep / arcade / petz / etc for everyone else forevermore, so the powers that be regretfully deny all that pleasure in order to stay reasonably sane. it's a pity don't you think.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
I'm afraid that the people who fail to understand the difference between the virtual world of <the game> and the virtual world of <the forum> / real life will keep ruining things like rep / arcade / petz / etc for everyone else forevermore, so the powers that be regretfully deny all that pleasure in order to stay reasonably sane. it's a pity don't you think.

Was wondering about the arcade, was that taken down because of abuse or am I blind and can't see it?

TdC

you're not blind; the arcade has been disabled for various reasons.

Will

/bin/su
It was taken down because various users hacked the high scores, making it rather pointless.

TdC

fear the blinding light of honesty :)

DaGaffer

Bubble said:
You seem to have issues with people who use this forum for the daoc part, theres some nice usergroups you can leave if you don't enjoy the spam from that part. :wanker:

I didn't yell at you. I asked why we should care about a pointless piece of code. You responded by calling me a wanker, which kind of proves my point about DAOCer's. And I have 'issues' as you put it, because the DAOC section was a pain in the arse from the day I did the deal with Koch to put a DAOC section on BW. I don't know why Deebs puts up with you whiny bastards tbh.

tris-

DaGaffer said:
I didn't yell at you. I asked why we should care about a pointless piece of code.

Tdc has repped me a few times, surely it means something for the love of god :(.

considering this thread has turned into a steaming pile of shite, i may aswell ask my question without making a new thread -

why do i not have a poll option? ive tryed two different browsers and various puters and i cannot find the option anywhere. does FH hate me? :(

TdC

My name is TdC and I use the rep function.

(hello TdC)

I rep people who make me laugh / post something helpful or informative / post something that appeals to me in some way greater than a regular post. I thought that was what the rep function was for. As to it meaning something special to me, yeah, sometimes it does if I get a point for something I put effort into (nothing springs to mind, but there you go :))

As to Tris not seeing the poll option, two things occur to me: 1) you only see it when creating a thread, not a post iirc. you could try that. 2) polls may have been disabled for members of a certain forum due to poll-spamming. NB. I do not know if this is the case, but it's possible.

a third thing may be that your sub has run out. Mine has iirc, but my bank is faffing with my CC and I can't renew atm :/

tris-

what, you need a sub to make polls?

shit, i never knew that. so if i have understood you correctly, then it would explain everything.

btw, i dont poll spam (i never had the option :D). mainly i am on the daoc off topic forums and people their poll spam all the time, daddy!

TdC

I'm not sure mate. You could try with a new thread of your creation. Somewhere there's a cadre with a button (near the bottom iirc) that says "post a poll" (or somesuch). if it's not there it could well be that Deebs has configured the VBB to not allow this for unsubbed peeps.

once again I am not entirely sure, but you could ask other peeps (who haven't subbed)

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
I didn't yell at you. I asked why we should care about a pointless piece of code. You responded by calling me a wanker, which kind of proves my point about DAOCer's. And I have 'issues' as you put it, because the DAOC section was a pain in the arse from the day I did the deal with Koch to put a DAOC section on BW. I don't know why Deebs puts up with you whiny bastards tbh.

Yeah, everyone can see you have 2 legs to stand on after posts like that ^^

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You seem to have mis-interpretted dagaffers original post and gone on a crusade of stupidity because of it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bubble said:

Theres peeps here who've been members since before DaoC was even thought of. So shush.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
You seem to have mis-interpretted dagaffers original post and gone on a crusade of stupidity because of it.

No the problem was i did understand his first post on this thread and what it was.. a mindless rant and attack on daoc players he didn't know.
As for his reply to me, yes i did mis-interpret his reply to me when i thought i was only trying to help the guy understand why the neg repping was taken away.

Theres peeps here who've been members since before DaoC was even thought of. So shush.

See above, but why defend someone when he kicks off like that :(

I didn't yell at you. I asked why we should care about a pointless piece of code.

This was a feedback for moderators and such to look at, why you care about the code? i dunno, you tell me why your replying to a post which isn't for you to decide etc. As for calling you a wanker, maybe your first post in this thread was reason enough for someone whos never seen you post before eh?

DaGaffer

Bubble said:
No the problem was i did understand his first post on this thread and what it was.. a mindless rant and attack on daoc players he didn't know.
As for his reply to me, yes i did mis-interpret his reply to me when i thought i was only trying to help the guy understand why the neg repping was taken away.

How in hell was my first comment in any shape or form, a rant? It was a comment that DAOCers like reputation points so...whatever, let 'em have them in whatever form they want. It took the piss a little bit, but if you think that was a rant you ain't seen nothing.

Bubble said:
See above, but why defend someone when he kicks off like that :(

As above. Kick off? Hardly.

Bubble said:
This was a feedback for moderators and such to look at, why you care about the code? i dunno, you tell me why your replying to a post which isn't for you to decide etc. As for calling you a wanker, maybe your first post in this thread was reason enough for someone whos never seen you post before eh?

Just because you haven't seen me post you think its OK to dive in with both feet and make wanker comments? You're a fuckwit. Get back to your ghetto and leave the adults to talk.

TdC

you may not know this Bubble, but if DaGaffer hadden't said "yes" at some point there wouldn't have been a daoc forum on BW/FH. It's partially due to him that you are allowed to be here.

So he has some problems with the generalised behaviour of the people in certain forums. So do I tbh, though I'm not so vocal, mostly because I see the reported posts and stuff.

Luckily certain people (more and more actually) have gone on to access all forums (and have taken amazing amounts of shit because of it, especially in the beginning). I like that, because I think the old us vs. them mentality is very passe and some people are managing to prove this is indeed the case.

I think you both (and everyone else) should lighten up a little. Remarks are made with years of feeling behind them and people responded in kind. Some people in the DAoC forums will never play with General forum goers and likewise the other way round but others are proving it can be done. I'm glad of that.

woo a "can't we all just get along?" speech!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom