Need some help: Firewall stuff.

A

allnewdave

Hi folks,

I've been getting this all day and I really dont know what to do.

Its pretty much killing any online gaming for me. Any of you tech types understand whats happeining here?

image3.jpg

C

cHodAX

Blackice throws up alot of false positives. In your settings you will find a setting for the firewall, it will say something like Paranoid, Cautious etc... try knocking it down a level and see if that helps. I know that worked for me when I reinstalled Blackice, it seems it was letting the game use the outbound connection but was killing the inbound.

K

klavrynd

it's kinda hard judging because it doesn't show the port probed

but possibilities are :

pubscanning : usually on port 21
silly trojan scanning : different ports
scanning for windows shared drives

it might be handy if you had more information

anyhow, i wouldnt worry too much about these

just keep your system patched and DISABLE windows shared drives (just uninstall the protocol since it's nothing but trouble)

dont run ftpservers on port 21 (do it somewhere > 1024)

and if you have used kazaa, or whichever other p2p filesharing thingie , it might be possible that you're still registered as node and you get requests from people using the same application

A

allnewdave

Thanks for the info fellas. So far I think klavrynd wins the cigar by identifying Kazaa. 3905 is the port in question and that happens to be the one used by KL.

For now I've switched to another PC till I figure out how to change the IP (blueyonder cable).

K

klavrynd

either close down the pc, wait for some time and reboot, the dhcp server will give you another ip address, if the cable modem is connected to an internet gateway/soho router/broadband router/whatever, either reboot the router of power it down and power it up after a bit

OR if you're directly connected to the internet you might try ipconfig /renew in the command prompt

E

eynar

Aye, when you're on cable simply unplug your modem for a while and you will prolly get a new IP after booting it.

Users who are viewing this thread