need petrolhead advice

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
So I'm having a bit of trouble with my 1999 1.6 8v astra club at the moment. It seems that during journeys over 15 miles or so at a respectable speed of 50mph the engine electronics warning light decides to come on, and if I dip the clutch the engine cuts out but quickly comes back to life if I lift off and with a bit of effort even the starter motor can bring it back. I've also found that if I keep the heating on full and keep the revs down and thus not allowing the engine to warm in these winter temperatures I can go a good 30miles without it coming on at all.

Any suggestions???

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Crankshaft sensor bolt, or camshaft sensor bolt.... crank first, but both are prone to failure.

Sensors can be grabbed off ebay for not alot and fitted yourself if you are technically adept and have the time... c. £200 + at a dealer's, at a guess.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
^this^

I don't know about yours but on mine the crankshaft position sensor is at the bottom of the engine and changing it is a simple task.

Ask on a Vauxhall forum, they'll be able to help you with the specifics, but its a job you should be able to do yourself (if that's the problem).

Could also be something like a fuel pump relay or such.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I did post on a vauxhall forum but they've so far not been helpful, their advice being to get someone to plug it into a computer and find the problem. It's behaving like an old car with a manual choke that you forgot to push in when it got warm so I thought it might have something to do with the thermostat but I'll give your theory a try, thanks.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom