Need Newbie Help!!!

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
I'm totally new to BF1942 (Quake veteran), and I need help.

My mousewheel doesn't work at all.
I'm using a Logitech MX 700.
It has 8 buttons that all work perfectly well (using the mouseware) but the wheel doesn't seem to work in the game.

When I try to assign the mousewheel to a function in the Control settings BF1942 recognises the action and it does say "Mousewheel Up" and "Mousewheel Down" during the setup, but, when I click on "Save" it clears the box and doesn't save the setting. In the game itself the mousewheel does nothing!

I was using older mouseware, but I've now got the latest update from Logitech - no difference. I tried changing the scroll-rate function through the mouseware (1 line, 3 lines, 6 lines, disabled, etc) - no difference. I've tried terminating the mouseware before launching BF1942 - no difference (no wait, all my other buttons became disabled : / ). Ive tried using Logitech's Advanced control panel (which has macro settings for gaming) - no difference.

The only thing I can think of is I've totally re-mapped the keyboard and I've re-assigned the buttons for next and previous weapon (which I think is the default assignment for the mousewheel)...I'm trying to get reload assigned to mousewheel down, and, parachute to mousewheel up....simple enough you'd think, eh?

Anyhoo, is there a Quake-type config equivalent for BF1942? Are all the settings done through the in-game setup screens? No scripts and shit?

Help!

:p

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Hi Paradroid,

After some testing just now, it isnt a problem with your mouse. My mouse does exactly the same thing, it'll allow me to assign it, but wont stick when I click 'Save'. This obviously means you'll not be able to rebind the mouse wheel to anything else apart from Next / Previous Weapon.

Also, there is no Quake style configs you can use, and there's also no scripting. It is fairly limited in that respects. But once you get used to the controls, it's not that difficult :D

Cheers,

Cdr

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
There's no scripting ala the Quake series however you do have .con files in your profiles directory that contain all the settings. Give me a while and I'll see if I can work out what it should be set to, maybe you'll be able to override the problems by making the file read only.

Edit; Ok I've had a look at the files and had a play around with the con files. The problem is that bf42 treats the mousewheel as an axis of the mouse, this means it can only be assigned to a pair of commands that are naturally grouped. If you go into your config section you'll be able to assign mouse wheel up and down to a pair of commands like speed up/slow down or hatch up/down and it'll save it just fine, however as soon as you try to assign mouse wheel up and down to seperate commands the game is unable to assign the axis to both at once.

The only solution I can think of is to use some software (Logitech's own might be able to handle this) to treat Mouse Wheel Up and Down as seperate keypresses then to bind the respective keys in the game options. It's not the most elegant solution but it's the only way of handling it given the way the scroll wheel is used in game.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
There's software somewhere on the logitech site which solves this problem, I had the same thing with Viet Cong. I can't remember the name of the software but it's something likge Logitech Advance mouseware.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
nath said:
There's software somewhere on the logitech site which solves this problem, I had the same thing with Viet Cong. I can't remember the name of the software but it's something likge Logitech Advance mouseware.

Thanks Nath, my problem was the pairing of the mousewheel keybinds. Seems a bit limiting, but at least my wheel's back in action now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom