Need new wheels

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My Mavic rims, which began life being convex, are now concave due to the grinding paste action of the mud around here. Before long they'll start splitting, and they're costing me a lot of money in replacement brake blocks....bloody weather.

So I'm looking to get some new/2nd hand wheels, only I'm not certain what's suitable and what's not. I definitely want disc compatible hubs.

Its a Specialized Rockhopper A1 comp from 2001, and has Shimano Deore LX gears, 9 speed. Deore brake levers. The forks (upgraded) and frame have mounting points for disc brakes, which eventually I want as well.

REAL Mountain Biking For REAL Bikers - 2002 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS

Any recommendations? I'm not after anything particularly expensive, the fewer spokes the better as I ride on roads as well.

Something like these

Hope Big Un Hubs With Mavic D321 Rims on eBay Bike Parts, Cycling, Sporting Goods

Look interesting, the trouble is I've no idea what will fit what.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You should get some chromed up Spinners, Westwood stylée.

Will

/bin/su
I would probably go for good old Shimano Deore disc hubs, on Mavic 717 rims. You can keep your vees for now, and upgrade to discs when you want.

If you feel like pimping it, you could upgrade the hubs to LX or XT. I'd stick with 32 holes, unless you feel you might be a bit rough on them, in which case go for 36 hole at the back.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I treated myself. Well actually, it would be more accurate to say I spent too much money:

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/497/ppuser/155

I'm going to upgrade in stages. Wheels first, brakes next. The bloke in the shop wanted to sell me a new bike but I told him I'm happy to spend money slowly, upgrading as I go.

I've got the rear first because my old one (pictured) has a few snapped spokes, and I've hardly got any braking on it.

Its a Mavic crossland with 24 spokes. Should mean I can go a bit quicker on the road now, my old wheel had 32 spokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom