need new graphix card for toa

Easdown

Fledgling Freddie
thats right i need a new graphix card for when toa comes out, what should i get?

snoz

Loyal Freddie
Easdown said:
thats right i need a new graphix card for when toa comes out, what should i get?
Whats your budget ?

Radeon 9800xt is the best, looking at £325 though or 500 euros.

If not that then maybe consider radeon 9800or 9700pro if u can get hold of them or geforce fx 5900

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
i picked up a radeon 9800 all in wonder for £150 but it depends on where you are.

depending on budget a fx5600 or radeon 9600 will meet your needs.

have a shop around online there are plenty of sites

Fung

Fledgling Freddie
Like the others said, it all depends on your budget.

If you've got money to burn, go for a top of the range Radeon or GeForce (the GeForce has better drivers (to an extent) but the Radeon are superior cards - I myself have a GeForce so I'm not being biased) but if you're struggling, you can pick up a GeForce FX 5600 or Radeon Equivalent for £120 these days. My housemate bought one just before Christmas at GAME and got a free copy of Halo PC with it, which was a good deal since I paid £410 a few months earlier for a GeForce FX5900 Ultra and got Morrowind (which I already owned) and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project :/

As for makes of card, I only have experience with GeForce cards myself and I own an MSI. It's a nice card, has dual heatsinks and fans (one on each side of the card) and runs at a cool temperature (40 degrees celsius) but is louder than a vacuum cleaner :eek6:. Given the chance I'd swap it for a Leadtek, but they're generally more expensive for reasons that baffle me. :p

//Fung

SilverHood

FH is my second home
just don't buy from scan.co.uk, unless you live within driving range of their shop ;)

snoz

Loyal Freddie
Easdown said:
my budget is £289, so what about this one?
http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=75190

i dont know what is best so i'd prefer someone who knows what they are talking about to pick me one out :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/powercolor_ati_graphics_cards.html

Id saveup another week get radeon 9800xt or get a 9800 pro :) Overclockers doing pretty much the best prices in the uk atm on gfx cards and cpu's

Could check www.dabs.co.uk or www.ebuyer.com also

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
gruand said:
Plomien have you checked out http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/faq.php , you might be able to update your card to 9800 pro spec :)

Turns into the equivalent of a 9500 Pro but with an R350 core.

not that much better to be honest!! but i might try the soft mod on the drivers and compare them on a benchmarking test

Lyrre

Fledgling Freddie
Only thing you should consider buying a new card for playing Daoc os that it is running in DirectX9 and nvidia cards have had some real problem with DX9, so if you only gonna play daoc with it buy an ati card.

Spudgie

Fledgling Freddie
I've played TOA on my bros account with my 9600xt and on his with his 9600pro. Mine has the XT and a 3.2gig athlon and I can crank everything up at 1200x1024 with no ill effects. TBH TOA is playable with any card above a radeon 7200 which was my old card. You can pick up a 9600xt for 110squids and a 9800xt for 290squids. A good bargain is a Leadtek FX5900LX at about 160squids as this card can be overclocked substantially and the bios flashed to a 5950, o/c'ed to around the 5950ultra mark iirc.

As recommended above I'd look at overclockers.co.uk as a first point of call. If your thinking of using AA + AF go for the ATI cards. Nvidia cards run a bit quicker than ATI without em but take a rapid nosedive when you increase em, especially with Anti-Aliasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom