Need help! frokm anyone who knows about cars!

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Right ill just start by sayin im new to driving and am a learner -.-......so lasnite i was driving and stoped at some lights but realised i had pulled up too close to see the lights so i checked my mirror...saw nothing and reversed a bit......CRASH...i hear the bang and imediatly as ya do i panic......this scumbag hops out of his car an so do i an he starts shoutin bout how his car is fucked......hes driving what he claims to be a honda civic vtec...im not surebout much of the details of the car as i was in shock an didnt take his reg or insurance details (yes i know that was stupid but like i said i was in shock) i do remeber that it was a civic sal;oon and was done up a bit...i also had 2 girls in the car with me who know this guy from around and tell me hes younger than me...definatly a learner aswell and that the guy with him is a pikey......so we pull round the corner and he takes a look and says the bonnet has been pushed back on one side....which i can see it has but i hasnt been bent....he tells me that with a vtec it gona need a whole new bonnet...he lifts the bonnet an tells me the radiator is loose...at thiis stage im startin to think this guys a bit dodgy but i did hit him so im feelin bad....we didnt calls the cops cuz i thoght it would get insurance involved and i didnt want my premium through the roof and he seemed cool with that so he tells me he has a mate whos a mechanic and hell get the parts an give me a ring in the mornin.....so he does an tells me its gona cost 800....now i reckon hes tryin 2 scam me but as i know nothin bout cars an need help....anyone care to shine some light on the subject 4 me please?

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Just let the insurance deal with it, or you could try phoning the police and say you think someones trying to scam you. Explain your situation, they may not be able to do much but at least you can tell the insurance company and cover yourself.

Not sure if you still can, but if you can manage to find out the guys registration there was a Government website where you could check if the car was tax'd mot'd or registered as off the road... might be worth checking that and if it is declared off the road... report him :D

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
My advice, let the insurence companies deal with it, unless you know for sure he is 100% correct and that paying him off with your own money is better value than making a claim.

BTW cops would not have attended unless there was suspected alcohol or a serious injury, in cases such as yours they ask you to deal with it yourselves.

Considering no details were exchanged I would like to know how he is going to make you pay anyway?

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
My advice, don't hit civic's :< Honda owners love there cars and if he's getting parts from honda you're gonna be looking around £800! Very expensive.

Anyone in your family with mechanic history that you could get to look at his car ?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
how can that much damage be done at lights?

If the lights were red he must have been stationary, unless you put your foot down to reverse all you could do really is knock his bumber then the car would stop

Nate

FH is my second home
Sounds quite suspect, I doubt the guy even knows what he's talking about. He suddenly has a friend thats a mechanic, bullshit he's knocking you up for whats probably been a problem with his car for ages. Go to a garage that you select from the yellow pages with him with his car and get them to check it out while your there. Either that or just let the insurance sort it out, thats what it's there for.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Also he went into the back of you, insurance will 9 times out of 10 go in your favour

He should have been more alert its easier for you to prove he was speeding and hit you when stationary than prove you reversed into him

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I think im gona hav 2 go to the cops cuz i really do rekon hes dodgy.....but i dont wanna go thriugh insureance if at all possible cuz im only a named driver on the car an my father has like a 20 year no claim bonuc that i dont wanna fuck up....as for sayin it was him...he went into a resteraunt and got a guy to come out as a witness that the crash was my fault...and me like a fool in shock agreed!

Mey

Part of the furniture
You said you hit him right? Was that provoked?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
.cuz im only a named driver on the car an my father has like a 20 year no claim bonuc that i dont wanna fuck up.!

I would be surprised if his no claims wasn't protected.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I think im gona hav 2 go to the cops cuz i really do rekon hes dodgy.....but i dont wanna go thriugh insureance if at all possible cuz im only a named driver on the car an my father has like a 20 year no claim bonuc that i dont wanna fuck up....as for sayin it was him...he went into a resteraunt and got a guy to come out as a witness that the crash was my fault...and me like a fool in shock agreed!
you shouldnt ever admit it was your fault to the other person. Phone the insurance tell them what happened and how much it is likely to cost. You can phone them for advise without making a claim its what they are there for

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
You shouldnt ever admit it was your fault to the other person.

I did it when i was 18 and told my insurance company I said it, they pretty much told me that it doesn't matter as the insurance companies won't take their word that you said it anyway, it comes down to negotiations between companies based on you'r reports and witness reports. It turned out not to be my fault and the claim went my way, the guy kinda bullied me into admitting liability and signing something to that affect at the time.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
my parents are away on holiday an im debating wether i should tell them or not...for fuck sake this has been the worst 3 weeks of my life :p....my grandmother goes into hospital...i nearly get fired...my girlfriend leaves me and goes back to her ex that treated her like shit an now this....fuk sake life really is a bitch!

uron

Loyal Freddie
ill point a guildie this way, he happens to be a grease monkey (tea boy really), but yea i would say its dodgy, best if you find a garage and get him to go to it...but i cant see how reversing back a bit can make it need a bonnet repair...prob lies imo :)

Jarahl

Can't get enough of FH
See a garage. And let Insurance deal with it tbh. Hondas are one of the more expencive Jappie cars next to Mitsubishi.

If the bonnet is broken, thats pretty bad, the bonnet itself isent even close to 800£ and the radiator is like 50.

Talk to a local garage, they will prolly do dmg assestment for a very small fee. After that compare that to how much your premium will increase and take it from there.

Ofc I'd fix it for ya for 200£ but then again Im dodgy as hell as well :D

Also whenever you drive a bit too far into a intersection with lightbulbs, and the bulbs goes red before you make the turn, just stay there. Since you are a young driver, people will understand, never put the car in reverse :)

Corran

Part of the furniture
you shouldnt ever admit it was your fault to the other person. Phone the insurance tell them what happened and how much it is likely to cost. You can phone them for advise without making a claim its what they are there for

Can admit anything to be honest, it aint the drivers involved that accept liability. Having this problem myself and probably be going to court to get my money back as no response from my neighbours insurance company 4months after they were written too. Final payment demand sent, no response. So it now with the solicitors. This is after they admitted it at the time then retracted that when they realised there was £1200 damage (6month old car, back panel dented, and a respray on bumper, arch and rear panel)

Basically though, just go through the insurance the moment you feel that it is dodgy. What I am worried about though is if you covered by insurance at all for the accident and if you were driving legally.
If your in the UK and on a learners licence you need a passenger that been driving for at least 3 years in the vehicle if i remember correctly. So make sure you are covered etc. Best bet though is to speak to your dad, because if you did that much damage to his car (I call bullshit btw, radiator would need to be damaged before for a slight tap to screw it up completely) and I bet most the damage was done before hand/dont exist.

Dont trust any boy/girl racers. They mainly a bunch of neds that need a kick up the arse (disclaimer: aint true for all but in general it is so) And if they in a slightly modded car then they are worse as they merely a clueless wannabe :p

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Ask him to get an independent assesment and quote from a garage of your choice, if he starts screaming etc you know he's taking the piss or simply ask if he would mind allowing someone you know (if you know anyone who knows much about cars) to take a look at the damage.

Chances are he's taking the piss if it becomes ireconcilable just allow the insurance to deal with it as someone else said its very unlikely your parents dont have their no claims protected.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Ok bit the bullet an told my father bout this whole thing and it was defiatly the way to go......he met the guy and took his theory to the cleaners and ended up only payin him 100 and that was only cuz it woould cost more than that to prove i didnt do the damage to the car....so apart from him bein pissed at me everythings ok now....thanks 4 the help :D

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
by apologising in anyway you are accepting responsibility and the insurance company will most likely side with him, however no car/insurance details were swapped during the time so this is a bit dodgy. Take the car to a mechanic that you know and trust, dont relly on his friend, who would definatly add on a couple houndred pounds for a scam.

Get the insurance involved if it comes to it, honestly consider how fast you were going; you were stationary at a red light, you checked no cars were behind you or appraoching and reversed im guessing cautiously as most drivers, especially new drivers, would. and he appeared from nowhere, im guessing he was speeding, or travelling to fast, stopped too late and caused the accident himself. check the damage to your own car and try and settle this some way, i wouldnt pay the £800 because by not reporting it no claim has been issued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom