Need "General chat" foru

Elbonio

Fledgling Freddie
I know this seems a bit stupid me creating this thread in the "general chat" part of the boards but it seemed to me that there was no forum for REAL general chat - i.e. chat that's not catagorised into movies & tv, music etc, etc

I think we could do with one

also A forum i visit regularly has a "rants, raves and other nonsense" forum where posts dont count towards post counts but people can post things that might be considered spam on other parts - any pictures of their new cat or a poem they've written about how nice flowers smell or whatever... it lets people get it out of their system and keeps the spam off the main forums...

what does everyone think?

Anul

Fledgling Freddie
Well the whole idea with spamming is to get the post count up so they wouldnt use that forum.

Elbonio

Fledgling Freddie
In the forums that i've seen it used it works brilliantly. (multiplay UK forums)

I'm not talking about spam as in "come and buy our product" spam - i'm talking about stuff which people like to talk about but it isnt often appropriate to talk about in say the BF1942 forum...

I've found that it creates a closer community becuase people actually get to know a bit about each other and find out what people are like... there are things other than games that we like talking about ;)

Elbonio

Fledgling Freddie
Embattle said:
You're suffering a bad case of wishing thinking ;)

not really - i'm saying it's already working really well in another well established community... i think it could benefit this one too...

Embattle

FH is my second home
TBH we already have a general forum and even the description on the MPUK site describes the Rants, Raves and Other nonsense as:

A haven for spam.

I believe the general feeling is that spam should be stamped out since its a waste of bandwidth etc etc.

I also believe that this community isn't like any others, although to understand that takes many many years ;)

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
Elbonio said:
not really - i'm saying it's already working really well in another well established community... i think it could benefit this one too...

[Bodhi] ***Extreme Insult***[/Bodhi]

Well established community. And you think this isnt or wont be ??

Wake up sonny.

Elbonio

Fledgling Freddie
and thus why this community never was, nor never will be, as closely knit as the MPUK one...

people dont just want to swap opinions, they want to actually get to know other people and perhaps share a little of themselves with everyone else.

This is why this community will turn out to be more of a place of opinions, arguments and discussions rather than an online community in the real sense of the word.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
L_Plates said:
Well established community. And you think this isnt or wont be ??

Wake up sonny.
Wake up yourself gormster, he said "another well established community", indicating that this is one is also well established.

All Elbonio did was offer a suggestion to improve what is already a great place to be. There's no need whatsoever to lay into him with your kissass [bodhi] tags.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Clown said:
I use IRC to post few word posts!!

If only some of the DAOC post racers would follow your exemplary example....

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The reason for the sub forums in general is so its easier to find what you want to talk about. It was very cluttered over on BW when there was just one general forum. Huge amounts of updated and new threads on one page view. You need the film, sports, music and books subdivisions. As for the spam thing, daoc forums anyone?

Post counts aren't displayed anyway here, so what good would having a forum that doesnt count towards that count be anyway? No point wasting bandwidth with all that.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Elbonio said:
and thus why this community never was, nor never will be, as closely knit as the MPUK one...

people dont just want to swap opinions, they want to actually get to know other people and perhaps share a little of themselves with everyone else.

This is why this community will turn out to be more of a place of opinions, arguments and discussions rather than an online community in the real sense of the word.

You seem to make so rather interesting presumptions the first of which is that people want to get to know each other, followed by some others. Instead lets look at the facts involved when looking at BW and MPUK, I'll use BW because it was a mature forum compared to this spanking new forum....although this forum does contain a number of the elements that you dislike already.

Members = MPUK 4,442 vs BW 27,681
Threads = MPUK 19,312 vs BW 97,167
Posts = MPUK 248,133 vs BW 1,422,493

The number of posts in the BW General section alone is more than the total on number on all of MPUK so BW was a much more active forum and most probably thus more argumentative, but so what......and what is this seemingly ideal online community you speak of, its a case of different horses for different courses. At the end of the day it would seem you've found the ideal solution, if you like the MPUK forums so much may I suggest you stay there instead of trying to change this forum from its natural course into your perfect online community.

bigfoot

Fledgling Freddie
ElBonio - There were a number of very personal posts made on the old General forum of the BW / GAME.NET forums, in fact some of the older members sort to criticise the fact that the old General forum had become *too* personal. Where this forum goes I'm not sure, nobody is currently, but hopefully it will become a bit more personal now that it isn't based around a commercial organisation.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I want it to be like BW was in 2001 please! That's what made me want to be a part of the 'community' in the first place. And a guy called isuck made me laugh lots with teh funny post. :)

Elbonio

Fledgling Freddie
Embattle said:
You seem to make so rather interesting presumptions the first of which is that people want to get to know each other, followed by some others. Instead lets look at the facts involved when looking at BW and MPUK, I'll use BW because it was a mature forum compared to this spanking new forum....although this forum does contain a number of the elements that you dislike already.

Members = MPUK 4,442 vs BW 27,681
Threads = MPUK 19,312 vs BW 97,167
Posts = MPUK 248,133 vs BW 1,422,493

The number of posts in the BW General section alone is more than the total on number on all of MPUK so BW was a much more active forum and most probably thus more argumentative, but so what......and what is this seemingly ideal online community you speak of, its a case of different horses for different courses. At the end of the day it would seem you've found the ideal solution, if you like the MPUK forums so much may I suggest you stay there instead of trying to change this forum from its natural course into your perfect online community.

First of all I wasnt criticsing this one - there are forums and there are communities. I feel that MPUK is a community and this feels more like a forum...

and i do think that the lower member count for MPUK does help.

However you cant compare post counts as BW had a much larger member count. If you look at the threads:members ratio the mpuk has actually got a highger number

but that wasnt my point anyway - it's not about how much you post it's bout how much a part of the cummunity you feel and if it's just a place to talk about games, movies, etc then you can do that anywhere. What's needed is a way of people getting to *know* other people. You say it's a presumption that people want to do that, well tbh could it really hurt to have a way for people to do that?

If anyone has any other ideas about how that could be achieved then why not post them

You misunderstand me when i compared MPUK to this forum, i wasnt saying it sucks at all - i am merely trying to come up with ideas to make the community a better place - you know... *contributing*... rather than just dismissing ideas with "if you like it so much there then FO" ...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Elbonio said:
First of all I wasnt criticsing this one - there are forums and there are communities. I feel that MPUK is a community and this feels more like a forum...

and i do think that the lower member count for MPUK does help.

However you cant compare post counts as BW had a much larger member count. If you look at the threads:members ratio the mpuk has actually got a highger number

but that wasnt my point anyway - it's not about how much you post it's bout how much a part of the cummunity you feel and if it's just a place to talk about games, movies, etc then you can do that anywhere. What's needed is a way of people getting to *know* other people. You say it's a presumption that people want to do that, well tbh could it really hurt to have a way for people to do that?

If anyone has any other ideas about how that could be achieved then why not post them

You misunderstand me when i compared MPUK to this forum, i wasnt saying it sucks at all - i am merely trying to come up with ideas to make the community a better place - you know... *contributing*... rather than just dismissing ideas with "if you like it so much there then FO" ...

Um, BarryBeer - nuff sed.

But now it will be known as FreddyBeer.

D

Deadmanwalking

Deebs said:
Um, BarryBeer - nuff sed.

But now it will be known as FreddyBeer.

I should turn up then... as its patron/namesake :wub:

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Elbonio said:
I know this seems a bit stupid me creating this thread in the "general chat" part of the boards but it seemed to me that there was no forum for REAL general chat - i.e. chat that's not catagorised into movies & tv, music etc, etc

Um, maybe I'm being stupid here, but isn't that what this is for?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Elbonio said:

Again you seem to overlook a few things I said:

1. I didn't say you were slagging off this forum, just stated that if you prefer the layout of MPUK then why not stay there....its not a case of FO otherwise I would of told you straight to Fuck off.
2. You still seem to have this belief that your idea of a forum is the right one.
3. The forum you suggested is just a spam forum, this isn't going to build your great community.
3. As deebs said they already have a way if they really want too...BarryBeer.
4. Looking at threads/member ratio doesn't work either because we had a lot more one timers posting...spam etc.
5. Both I and fatbusinessman have already pointed out that we have a general forum already....you can get warm and fuzzy in there if you like although you may not get the nice reply you want from others.

D33

Loyal Freddie
Having been a part of, and experienced both communities I know exactly where Elbonio is coming from in terms of community and closeness.

As for the statistics that Embattle posted.. Not quite sure why seeing as that wasn't Elbonio's point at all and the fact that the Barrysworld forum had been around much longer also tilted the results so quite frankly.. they mean shit.

The Barrysworld community is close in its own right though and, as pointed out earlier, has BarryBeer ( Now FreddyBeer ) for social interaction where as Multiplay has its lans.

It's a shame a General forum won't be added as that's usually straight where I head to get involved with the community. To be honest I'm struggling to find a place on this forum as I've become one of those "used to game, now everything's shit, waiting for next gen of games, just idle on irc" type of gamers so for me a General forum would be perfect.

Apart from a couple of threads in the feedback board there are no boards here that I can really "join the community" on as I'm not committed to them.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
D33 said:
It's a shame a General forum won't be added as that's usually straight where I head to get involved with the community. To be honest I'm struggling to find a place on this forum as I've become one of those "used to game, now everything's shit, waiting for next gen of games, just idle on irc" type of gamers so for me a General forum would be perfect.

WHAT PART OF THERE IS ALREADY A GENERAL FORUM ARE YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTANDING?

Jesus I felt like posting gr8 m8 there.

Embattle

FH is my second home
D33 said:
As for the statistics that Embattle posted.. Not quite sure why seeing as that wasn't Elbonio's point at all and the fact that the Barrysworld forum had been around much longer also tilted the results so quite frankly.. they mean shit.

1. It was to prove it was a more active forum, in regards to something Elbonio said.
2. As said by a number of people, we have a general forum although a few of you seem to be blind...this is where a lot of the stuff in your favourite MPUK forums would end up, although how people reply to it is down to users not layout, something that wouldn't change even in the extra forum.
3. You've posted three replys here so far D33, I wouldn't say exactly you've tried very hard to find your so called place.

I've been a member of the MPUK forums since 26-3-2000 and yet in all that time I've posted a grand total of 190 times, but while I was a member at BW from 01-07-1999, I posted 13720 times....to me this means I preferred the lively, although at times perhaps too lively, BW forum and didn't have a problem in the way it was set out...thus I don't have a problem here and in my opinion I don't think it needs this extra forum Elbonio mentioned.

I could go on and on but I'm getting bored of trying to tell you that there is no need....although you are more than welcome to your opinions regarding the matter ;)

D33

Loyal Freddie
Ch3tan said:
WHAT PART OF THERE IS ALREADY A GENERAL FORUM ARE YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTANDING?

Jesus I felt like posting gr8 m8 there.

I assume that's a play on words? General "board" then.
If a "General Board" exists can you url me? Cause I must be blind.

D33

Loyal Freddie
Embattle said:
3. You've posted three replys here so far D33, I wouldn't say exactly you've tried very hard to find your so called place.

Statistics on forums have too many "howevers" to be accurate. For example, I may only have three posts, which, to you means I haven't been here very long "however" I've been watching and reading several boards within this forum since the first day. It is only now I decided to register.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom