Need BM/Melee advice.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
After 4 years of casters I've decided to play a BM on Glastonbury. I've soon reached lvl 50 and are thinking of spec and template. I was thinking of going split spec 50 cd, 40/40 slash/piercing as I heard was a good spec and switching main hand according to target. Then a guildie told me since I was celt I should go pirce 50 pierce and skip slash.

So to the questions:

When I raise my pierce spec other than giving new styles what does it do? Cuz' Im mainly gonna use cd styles anyway. Does it work like spells and give a higher dmg alternatively give less variance of dmg?

What styles do you think would work best in RvR? I've been looking into the sidestyle stun with followup dot (tempest) and taunt (squall) which seem to be a good everytime style and the backstyle isn't as good as I expected it to be..

And to the last question, I could probably look this up but since I'm already asking question here goes.

What atributes affects dmg on pierce and slash? Are both str only or str/dex?

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
u get more ws

if ur only gonna use CD

then u can specc composite

i mean like 39 + 11 from skills etc
ur base dmg will be the same if u specc 50 + 11 etc

only dmg diffrence is gonna be if ur trying to use styles from the pierce line

so if ur going pierce/blades... go 39 each (39 blade has a good asd chain (weapon speed debuff, and its enytime chain)) and 50 cd, rest parry. then u need +11 skill to both to get dmg right. ofc get + 11 skill on cd too

hope this answers ur question.

styles....

CD taunt as enytime, back style when ppl are trying to run away (the poin t of back style isnt really to do mg, but to snare them) and if u want u can allways use the side chain, but i doubt u get that off much and there will be a slammer in ur grp (mybe) if not then ur side chain is gonna be good :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
pierce is 50%str+50%dex
slash is 100% str

i would avoid pierce, its a lovely spec but when you fight people you will use diamondback followed up by squall for the stun (unless you strafe him). The problem is you have a kick ass parry chain, you will find you will be parrying alot more so your stun is not that useful off evade.

When you make a template your gonna need dex as its part of your damage, this means your template will need str, con, dex, quick. to achieve an awesome template is fucking hard, merc's, zerks, slash+blunt bm's dont need dex (only useful for defense and your not in 8v8 to defend)

I made an elf pierce blademaster, i thought what with being an elf i would evade more, the main problem is you can press Parry with anytime backed up but your char will then evade, or vice versa. Blunt has a off parry move, followup is 10 second stun.

Pierce is great against chain so healers will hate you, solo will mean some serious strafe abuse to get that stun in.

p.s. backstyles, cant remember name, its a lvl 20ish CD style which snares, groups will want you doing that to people who run off.

p.p.s cant believe im helping the guy who flames me every time i mention hoff.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Just to confirm what Kuan said.

Romaoo said:
This is whats left of the test results I did last year.

Romaoo Level 50 buffed 1502 Weaponskill 308 str

50 +14 Two hand 36 +14 Slash

Min 260 Max 453 Avg 319

Hit Count 100

Chat Log 50+14 Two hand 36+14 Slash

Romaoo Level 50 buffed 1502 Weaponskill 308 str

50 +14 Two hand 50 +14 Slash

Min 263 Max 429 Avg 320

Hit Count 105

Chat Log 50+14 Two hand 50+14 Slash

The target never changed, cleric buffbot wearing epic armor with base, spec af and capped slash resist.

The style used the entire time...

ONSLAUGHT!

oh and btw, if your going 50cd, 40slash 40 pierce where do you expect to fit +11 slash and +11 pierce in a template? i think that spec is a bad choice.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Bahumat said:
oh and btw, if your going 50cd, 40slash 40 pierce where do you expect to fit +11 slash and +11 pierce in a template? i think that spec is a bad choice.
Im gonna use a crafted mainhand and when I switch I get the +skill with pierce instead of slash and vice versa.

One more thing I thought about.. How am I suppse to decide on what weapon type to use if I decide on just one? I mean I have more strength than dexterity, should I automatically go with slash?

Oh and thanx for all the help so far, cleared out some questionmarks :>

leviathane

Part of the furniture
ye 50cd, then split spec can be quite nice as you shouldn't loose much dmg with +points to skill.
if you wanted to be the slam bot could try aldricks 50cd, 42shield 39 slash.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Zebolt said:
Im gonna use a crafted mainhand and when I switch I get the +skill with pierce instead of slash and vice versa.

One more thing I thought about.. How am I suppse to decide on what weapon type to use if I decide on just one? I mean I have more strength than dexterity, should I automatically go with slash?

Oh and thanx for all the help so far, cleared out some questionmarks :>

aghh that i cant answer, what you could do is work out your total buffed str, lets say 350.

now lets take your total buffed strength and dexterity, if you add them together and then divide by 2....does it equal more than your total strength?

if the str+dex/2=more than total strength then maybe your dmg will be slightly higher, but its not as simple as that cause you have armour types, resists etc.

I think you will have to learn all that by playing.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
one more thing i havnt seen mentioned.

If you use CD styles, taking your composite weapon spec (blades/pierce wotever) above 50/51 will do nothing, EXCEPT the lvl 50 CD style (supernova i believe) uses your weapon spec to determine style dmg and not your CD spec...so you will lose dmg here.

saying that if you we're to choose 1 weapon type i would personally say blades, and utilise the 39 spec ASD. alternatively blunt could be nice for solo, but i would take along look at armour tables and your common most likely targets. and take it form there.

Eregion

Fledgling Freddie
Pierce is just way to good not have as blademaster, even if it makes templating alot harder. You will find yourself hitting on thrust weak targets alot more often then slash weak targets.
Splitspec pierce/slash is best ofc! :)
And as others said, squall as anytimer, icestorm, tempest, supernova and snow shower is all u need in fg rvr really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom