Need Advice

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Hi im trying to eek every last drop of performance out of my shitty 56k connection and i was wondering if the upgrades i have planned could make much of a difference ?

512k --> 2mb Ram

Radeon 9200 --> Radeon 9800

I know 56k is a joke but its something i have to endure for another 5 months until i get broadband :p

I even have a meight who can duel log 2 chars in ml3 bg with a dialup modem ... actually i should go bug him for specs ...

Any imput ?o0

Commandment

Fledgling Freddie
forget about upgrades jim and get urself a new machine, with a span new modem, im sure ull be fine, once you have new "56k" not 28.8k!! modem its coolio. i used to connect to about 45k with mine and could nearly rvr with the good old lag spikes. only problem will be patch days , but brian can sort u out with those :p

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Punishment said:
Hi im trying to eek every last drop of performance out of my shitty 56k connection and i was wondering if the upgrades i have planned could make much of a difference ?

512k --> 2mb Ram

Radeon 9200 --> Radeon 9800

I know 56k is a joke but its something i have to endure for another 5 months until i get broadband :p

I even have a meight who can duel log 2 chars in ml3 bg with a dialup modem ... actually i should go bug him for specs ...

Any imput ?o0

Will make a huge difference, especially the Ram.

You'll find the dial up is often not the bottleneck.

Darzil

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Twinky said:
2mb ram :(?

alot since he only had 512k before :p

on a more serious note, back in the days, we used to play 3 people from a 56k without any signicant lag, and you can bet that going from 512 mb to 2048 mb is a huge difference

I until recently played with 1024mb and now i have 2048, even there i could feel a difference in performance, bad thing is thou, no more inc lag :D

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Aye i don't think my connection speed of about 42kbps is the real bottleneck ... 2mb ram and a decent graphix card are imo just as much to blame ... and i honestly don't think i need a new pc this one is still pretty good and just as good as ure's commandment :p

Besides when broadband comes to my area late this year i will be buying/building a decent machine for main play and this will become my 2mb/nice graphics card bot machine :D

Ty for imput <3

P.S. I bought a new modem yesterday blian ... dling patch 1.83 @ 4kbps which aint too bad ... dl'ed whole 27mb for toa client in just over 2 hours ;)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Punishment said:
Aye i don't think my connection speed of about 42kbps is the real bottleneck ... 2mb ram and a decent graphix card are imo just as much to blame ... and i honestly don't think i need a new pc this one is still pretty good and just as good as ure's commandment :p

Besides when broadband comes to my area late this year i will be buying/building a decent machine for main play and this will become my 2mb/nice graphics card bot machine :D

Ty for imput <3

P.S. I bought a new modem yesterday blian ... dling patch 1.83 @ 4kbps which aint too bad ... dl'ed whole 27mb for toa client in just over 2 hours ;)

Just one thing. Its not "2mb" - its "2gb" or gigabyte. Mb is megabyte. 1024mb makes one gigabyte (iirc). I had a machine with 4mb of ram once upon a time, back in the early 90's :)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Fana said:
Just one thing. Its not "2mb" - its "2gb" or gigabyte. Mb is megabyte. 1024mb makes one gigabyte (iirc). I had a machine with 4mb of ram once upon a time, back in the early 90's :)

Lol yes thats right :p

I have a Pentium 2 celeron with 16 mb ram @ home :D

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
U can purchase software that boosts the speed of a dial up connection (afaik up to 512 speed) im not sure whether it works for gaming but it certainly works on dl speeds etc. I havnt got a link for it atm but it should b easy enough to find :)

It compresses the data to make ur connection faster or sumthin... deffo worth a look

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Adlatus Hellbringer said:
U can purchase software that boosts the speed of a dial up connection (afaik up to 512 speed) im not sure whether it works for gaming but it certainly works on dl speeds etc. I havnt got a link for it atm but it should b easy enough to find :)

It compresses the data to make ur connection faster or sumthin... deffo worth a look

Yea ive looked it up ... only works for surfing/dl'ing :D

Cba as i does nuffing for gaming ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom