Need a new vid card and other bits

J

Jonty

True enough, xane, I should choose my words more carefully :) However, when the difference between the graphics card and the rest of the system is too great, bottleneck is the right word because there can be a negative impact on performance. This occurs when one component is allowed to place so much strain on the system that the other components, for want of a better word, buckle under the pressure and the game, say, becomes unplayable.

Sadly, I've yet to find this all properly examined and documented, which is a shame as it would be quite an interesting read.

Kind Regards

N

nath

Originally posted by xane
but if you intend to upgrade the CPU later (or move the card to a more powerful machine) the money is not exactly "wasted"

Aye, but like I said I'm planning on doing neither.

What I'm trying to work out is what's a reasonable card to get given my situation. Spending 300 quid on the lates ati offering would proabably be a waste of money as a certain amount of cpu power would be required to back it up in order to play hefty games. I just want something that will run my current games better, and let me play one or two newer games.

J

Jonty

Hi nath

To be honest, I'd go for the GeForceFX 5200 (or Radeon 9000 Pro if you're that way inclined). Both should improve performance in your current games, and each will allow you, touch wood, to run a few new games a little better too. Most importantly of all, they shouldn't break the bank. If you want some prices, just say, and I'll see what's what for you.

Kind Regards

N

nath

The geforce fx.. that's like the gf 5 essentially right?

And is the 5200 the "mx" type rage, i.e. budget?

edit: also would a gf4 ti 4200 be better than an fx5200? the former is more expensive than the latter..

J

Jonty

Originally posted by nath
The geforce fx.. that's like the gf 5 essentially right?
And is the 5200 the "mx" type range, i.e. budget?
Correct on both counts :)

Kind Regards

B

bodhi

The FX5200 is a terrible card. DX9 is all very well and good, but when DX9 games run at 3fps you might be a tad peeved.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by bodhi
The FX5200 is a terrible card. DX9 is all very well and good, but when DX9 games run at 3fps you might be a tad peeved.
With the greatest respect, I doubt anyone can trust you to be objective when it comes to nVidia :p The GeForceFX 5200 is a cool card which outperforms the Radeon 9000. Yes, of course it's not going to be as powerful as its bigger brothers, but at least it has the ability to run DX9 games when the rest of the configuration settings are correctly setup.

Kind Regards

S

silverthorn

I WAS gonna start a new thread but I thought this would be a fine continuation of this one!

Here's the biz... managed to get my hands on a shiny Connect3D 9500Pro for £40 (Yay for me :D) only to get home, open up the PC and see that my friggin power supply is only... wait for it... a measly 180W!!!

NP say you, get a new one and whip out the old one... ah. if only.

I made the mistake of buying a TIME computer (sorry, didn't mean to swear) and the buggers encase the PSU wires and all in another case and have it all sealed up. Now, I've not had a chance to see if I can open this up to get in to the actual PSU itself but what I'm wondering is if this is likely to cause me a problem when I get a new PSU to handle the 9500...

Any ideas? or has anyone had this problem in the past?

T

Testin da Cable

well, usually swapping a PSU entails removing the wires too (as they are attached to the unit). you'll get a whole mess of new wires to play with on your new PSU :)
if you can't get rid of the wires for whatever reason I'd advise getting a new case, complete with built-in PSU. save you some fiddling there ;)

S

silverthorn

sounds like an idea tdc... I'm just sad cos I can't use me shiny new graphics card :(

T

Testin da Cable

run down the shops then matey. I'm sure you'll be sorted by tonight!

B

bodhi

Originally posted by Jonty
With the greatest respect, I doubt anyone can trust you to be objective when it comes to nVidia :p The GeForceFX 5200 is a cool card which outperforms the Radeon 9000. Yes, of course it's not going to be as powerful as its bigger brothers, but at least it has the ability to run DX9 games when the rest of the configuration settings are correctly setup.

Kind Regards

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ0LDE=

A good review comparing the 5200 and 5600 Ultras against a 9500 Pro, 9000 and a Ti4200. The 4200 is still faster than the FX5200 :/

S

Sawtooth

Im with TDC on this one, the ATI 9700pro is really a good choice especially with the 9800 pro just being released, that will mean the prices should be dropping by now. The Catalyst drivers are really really stable and I was one of the idiots that bought the first Radeon with all the problems that card had with crap drivers and they are nothing like that now. Looks to me that this year is a serious upgrade year with Planetside, 1/2 life and D3 around the corner...sigh.

T

Trem

JONTY FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

......AND JESUS!!

What a top guy, always full and clear replies, always helpfull.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Trem
JONTY FOR PRESIDENT!!!! ..... AND JESUS!! What a top guy, always full and clear replies, always helpfull.
*blushes* Thanks Trem, you're way too kind *cough* your money's in the post *cough*. That said, I don't think I quite qualify as the Messiah :p

Originally posted by bodhi
The 4200 is still faster than the FX5200 :/
Just to clarify, despite the numbering, the GeForce FX 5200/5200 Ultra is not designed to directly replace the 4200. The 5200 range is aimed at the budget, 'MX' sector of the market.

Originally posted by Sawtooth
Im with TDC on this one, the ATI 9700pro is really a good choice especially with the 9800 pro just being released, that will mean the prices should be dropping by now.
I agree (if I haven't already :D). Although the reviews of the 9800 Pro are all favourable, the general consensus is that it doesn't offer enough of a performance gain over the 9700 Pro to justify the price tag. That, and the 256Mb model just isn't utilised to its fullest potential in today's games. Furthermore, as you say, whilst the 9800 Pro is targetting the highest price bracket, the 9700 Pro can now be picked up for around £250. A lot of money, of course, but not much considering the kind of card you're getting.

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom