Need a new ISP :-[

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Well pipex's turtle has failed and they have imposed a 20kb/s cap on most P2P services. As you can imagine I'm not going to stick around.

Problem is Pipex have been great for ages and I'm not sure who's particularly good anymore.

Zen is out because their basic 8mb package has a 20gb cap and their better one has a 50gb cap.

Suggestions? ;)

D

dominator06

ntl 10mb i would go with as their 75GB cap is to be lifted very soon, as i have had an emai telling me already, hope this helps.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I can't get cable in my area ~_~

Athan

Resident Freddy
Aye, in checking what packages Zen had recently I saw the crappy 3 they now offer. Thankfully us folks on the old packages get to keep what we have, so still 1MBps and uncapped for me.

An ISP like Zen going the way of caps shows that it really is 'all over' for uncapped connections. And beware of any advertised as uncapped as they tend to have footnotes that show it actually isn't.

-Ath

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Aye I've been on 2mbit Zen for a while and wholly intend to stay - sans cap.

Vae

Resident Freddy
On a non-related question prompted by ECA. WTF is this Your Turtle Fails about? Seen several references to it but can't find any explanation and I feel I'm missing out on some cutting edge All your base type thing :p

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Vae said:
On a non-related question prompted by ECA. WTF is this Your Turtle Fails about? Seen several references to it but can't find any explanation and I feel I'm missing out on some cutting edge All your base type thing :p

I shouldn't worry Vae... at your age you'd sound ridiculous using it :D

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Credit to Meg for this suggestion but if you encrypt your P2P data then it's passed as normal. Made me a happy bunny again.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Bulldog's unlimited packages truely are unlimited (nothing in their T&R's and I use ~400Gb a month with no probs), although it can be a pain to get the line working properly (so I'm told, had no problems myself), their Customer Service is a bit shite, and it's a one year contract now.

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
inactionman said:
Bulldog's unlimited packages truely are unlimited (nothing in their T&R's and I use ~400Gb a month with no probs), although it can be a pain to get the line working properly (so I'm told, had no problems myself), their Customer Service is a bit shite, and it's a one year contract now.

Avoid like the plague. Any idea that Bulldog have resolved their service issues (both in provision and customers) is utterly false. They're shocking.

I don't mean that in a throw-away insult type-way. Their staff admit it on the endless phone calls I have with their departments when the service goes down (on an almost weekly basis - both phone and broadband).

Please don't fund their brewery piss-up any further with new customers.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Another vote for Bulldog here. At one point I had two of their lines here. Now I have Bulldog and Be*. Both companies have been fine for me, from first payment to line connection; quick and painless. I did my research before signing up to faster broadband, and I knew the rough speed I was about to get. You might find loads of posts on the ADSLGuide forums from people who are complaining about shitty sync speeds and loss of signal, but that's mostly because the actual telephone line under the roads are just shit. OMG 8MB 24MB BROADBAND!! That's marketing for you..

I haven't had to use customer services for about 2 years now. Line has been solid.

Olé.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Be* were so bad for me that they didn't even get as far as sending me any kit before I cancelled (they did bill me though :eek: ). I'm now with UKOnline; no download restrictions, although now they're owned by Sky, who knows if that will last? I had some initial problems and I can't say their customer service was brilliant, but I've had no problems for a while and my connection's been stable for months (albeit not quite as fast as I'd like, but as Clown pointed out, its more to do with a shitty phone line than UKO). I know Trem has had some problems with UKO, but I just don't think you'll find a provider that no-one has had a problem with, although Zen seem to be getting a lot of glowing reports lately.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I'm using Eclipse internet - http://www.eclipse.net.uk/

Eclipse was the first ISP I went for back when I started with broadband, so admittedly I have no experience with other ISP's for broarband at all.

That said, I've been with eclipse for almost 2 years now, I've only ever had one problem with them and they were very helpful when I phoned them up. The problem was solved in one phonecall that lasted less than 5 minutes.

Apart from that I've only ever noticed downtime once since I went with them. This lasted a matter of 2-3 hours.

I used to be on a package that limited me to 1gb per month (with a £1 charge per GB over that) since I'm mainly a gamer and do not download much at all. However, recently I've found myself downloading a bit more and so I changed to a new package they recently started - from the original £14 per month plus downloads to £14 per month without a limit on downloads.

The ISP automatically goes to the highest speed available in your area (capped at 8mb atm I do believe) with no extra charge to the package you pay for(I'm on 2mb atm).

I'd highly recommend eclipse, I've never had a problem with them at all, the speed of the internet, even while using the lowest performance package, has always been very fast - while playing CS:S with two computers on my home network my ping rarely goes over 25, although this obviously depends on the server :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
demon for me have been solid with no caps, I rape the line when I am home and no nasty emails ever turn up. And we live in the arsehole of nowhere so if you live nearer to an exchange you can get better speeds and pings then me.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Bear in mind that some Eclipse users are starting to report p2p throttling too on the adslguide boards now.

As kenny mentioned above, if it's purely torrent traffic you're suffering with, get yourself the utorrent client, turn on encryption and enjoy full speeds on your linux iso downloads again ;).

Personally I'm waiting to see what (if ever) offers Pipex come out with for existing customers to migrate to max packages. If it's the shambles it's been so far then I too will be offski. And that's after nearly 4 years :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I got a courtesy call from pipex yesterday actually, asking me if I wanted to move my landline to them + 8meg adsl as well. Cant just get the 8meg ( yet ). But the guy who rung said when its available its gonna be like 20 quid.

I have turned on encryption on azureus as per WPkennys recommendation, will have to get utorrent :-]

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
uTorrent is the daddy!

Athan

Resident Freddy
Vae said:
My best guess is it refers to one of those strangely shaped Alcatel modems that BT like to give out. It's green and the shape is vaguely turtle-like.

-Ath, wondering how long it'll be before Zen inform him of a change to his contract, which is a rolling 1 month one, so all too easy for them to cancel.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
WPKenny said:
Credit to Meg for this suggestion but if you encrypt your P2P data then it's passed as normal. Made me a happy bunny again.
Wooo!

CREDIT!

Can I spend it on naked chicks?

Please?

:(

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
dominator06 said:
ntl 10mb i would go with as their 75GB cap is to be lifted very soon, as i have had an emai telling me already, hope this helps.

Can you post what they say as I havent had any emails from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom