natrural selection 2

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I cannot wait for this! Loved the original, also the death match version where you just had to wipe out their base was awesome fun.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Never had the liberties of playing the first one, looks like a lot of fun tho :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The first one I think was a freely downloadable mod and just needed HL or HL2 (can't remember which).

Was brilliant fun as the aliens, though it was always a bit of a clusterfuck playing as the marines as if you had a useless commander it was basically a fait accompli that the aliens would trash the marines, especially once they have the resources to become the Ono's (the big fuck off elephant style things that are like fighting the Tank in the Left4Dead games).

Hopefully as this is a finished product up for sale they will address that a little bit and give the marines a few more abilities to allow them to bolster themselves personally as well as build turrets, etc.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Ah well, something else to look forward to :) already looking forward to Aliens Colonial Marines which looks fun also.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
just bought this and have been playing it all night, really enjoying it, ARCS are fucking overpowered tho christ! shooting through walls for that much damage/range is ridiculous :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
In short a AvP style half-life multiplayer deathmatch moddy thingy? If so, i'm sold :p

Poag

m00?
Pretty much. But also with RTS strategy thrown in for good measure.
Will try and setup a Freddyserver :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Yep the original mod was pretty awesome; underrated.
Was pretty terrifying as well, being headed down by one of those massive rhino aliens.

opticle

Part of the furniture
Used to love this.. I sucked playing as every single alien and always died as the Ripper thang no matter what I tried.. can't wait for it :D

Freddyserver would be immense !!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
They've completely ruined Aliens with the recent update, energy regen is so slow now Gorges simply cannot keep up with marine fire due to piss poor energy regeneration, yet marines can still dish out insane damage to structures with grenades/flame throwers.

opticle

Part of the furniture
BloodOmen, is this worth pre-order for £22 ($35) ?

Getting a bit tired of Tribes now, I've probably invested that much money in it tbh :x

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
its worth buying yea, great fun tbh :) they just need to give aliens better energy regen again :p

opticle

Part of the furniture
Am I going to absolutely suck at aliens even if they fix the regen ? Probably :D That was half the fun tbh.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
well on reflection regen isnt THAT broken but its certainly changed how Gorge + Lerks need to play, also means commanders need to get Adrenaline faster.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Balance was always a problem in NS. It's good to hear that they are finally tweaking it!

opticle

Part of the furniture
I has it. Is fun :)

I don't like that there's an alien commander now - gorge used to be a really good fun and integral role, now it's pretty dull to play. Plus alien comm surely is pretty dull ?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Alien commander?!?

Poag

m00?
Yeah its effectively the inverse of the rine commander. Gets upgrades, build stowers. Theres a whole new group of towers for the aliens, and evolution bonus's have to be built aswell.

So it does reallt need a commander now to counter the rine comm. But it can't give direct orders which sucks.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Been looking more at this, but i have this nagging feeling in mah brain going "Look, this isn't straight up fps and you have to learn everything about all the things in 5 seconds or you're noobified and ridiculed constantly".

In other words; can it be played like any FPS, without learning the commander stuff, or do you have to learn all those ropes too?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
When I played NS1 you don't have to bother with the commander and can choose another role. It's a case of "someone" has to be commander.

Poag

m00?
Been looking more at this, but i have this nagging feeling in mah brain going "Look, this isn't straight up fps and you have to learn everything about all the things in 5 seconds or you're noobified and ridiculed constantly".

In other words; can it be played like any FPS, without learning the commander stuff, or do you have to learn all those ropes too?
Yes.

i've never sat in a commander chair except when everyone else has died, the base has had its IPs nuked and i've got to build one so my team can spawn. I get in, drop a IP and an armory then get the fuck out build both, hailed as savior of team.

You really do need a commander on each side tho, else no res towers get built or upgrades made.

Also although you can just me a "look down the gun/teeth" kinda guy. You do need some awareness of what structure does what and how you need to help build stuff on marines.

opticle

Part of the furniture
It might have been because I played NS1 a long time ago, but you do pick it up pretty quickly.

Although my acceptance that I seem to pretty much insta-die any time I even consider being Onos / Fade is probably on account of being shite a long time ago as well :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
opticle said:
It might have been because I played NS1 a long time ago, but you do pick it up pretty quickly.

Although my acceptance that I seem to pretty much insta-die any time I even consider being Onos / Fade is probably on account of being shite a long time ago as well :)
Can you still Ono through a vent. That always made me superlol ;)

Poag

m00?
Havn't tried, but i doubt it. If a gorge puts hydras ontop of doors the onos can have trouble getting in.

But BattleGorge + Cara Onos = win. This Onos and I wiped an entire base out + marines at the weekend. I ended up hiding underneath the onos spam healing while he murdered everything. Was awesome, even the Marines had to say "That gorge was fking mad" at the end :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom