nasty connection problems

D

dukat_lionheart

hey all

i've been playing DAOC for almost exactly a year now, no real major problems so far. However, i have just moved house, and during the move i lost my bt surftogether package, and so it seems my original account has been closed, but i can still log on to the net and surf the web on a no ties account.

my problem is this; i click on the DAOC icon, press OK at the CD key bit, then wait for the download check, but i always get either a 'cannot connect, please try later' type msg, or a standard '201; cannot find update server' message as if i had tried to log into daoc without the internet running.

i have also tried connecting to any game online. so far i have tried unreal tournament, counter strike and RTCW:ET. none of these seem to work, they never even get a server list up :(

the speed of the no ties account seems to be near enough the same as my orignial, but i am worried that it may be my house phone line that is causing the trouble... anyone know if that is possible? apparently the phone line in my house is 'just a standard line'.

any help appreciated :D

C

chretien

Sounds like a firewall is blocking access to the ports used for internet gaming. Have you enabled either the built in XP firewall or installed anything like Norton Internet Security or Zonealarm?
Other than your ISP, have you changed any settings, installed or uninstalled any software or hardware since you were last able to play? If the answer is no then try using System Restore to roll your system settings back to when you were last able to play:

Go to Start => All Programs => Accessories => System Tools then choose System Restore.
Make sure the little green dot is next to 'Restore my computer to an earlier time' and click next. On the next screen choose the latest date that is before the time you were last able to play and click next again. Your system will restart and the system files will be rolled back to that date. You won't lose any emails, documents or saved files, it only resets system files it won't actually delete anything. If you've installed any hardware or software since that date it will need re-installing though.

The speed of your line makes no difference to your ability to start the game. Unless your line is really, really poor you should at least be able to connect to the server lists or the login screens. If you were able to connect before then you should be able to do so now as your physical phone line hasn't changed.

D

dukat_lionheart

i thought it might be the firewall to begin with too m8y.

i havent installed any new software since i have moved, and the only things that have changed are the actual phone line (since i have moved house), and the connection, this is a 'no ties' pay as you go account, which used to work ok as well...

i have tried closing my firewall while trying to connect, but this doesnt seem to make a difference :(

D

dukat_lionheart

just seen this on one of the DAOC support pages, might be why i cant seem to log in.

although, if it is, why would my other games not work? :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logging In? More Like Slogging In
from Sanya Thomas
2003-12-24 10:58:43

A major chunk of the internet very near our server farm suffered an outage. I'm not sure where exactly, but it doesn't matter - what it meant for you was that everyone got dumped off our servers, and now the log in server is getting hammered by all the players trying to get back in at once. I know it's annoying, and we're doing what we can from our end. Thanks for your patience - back to your regularly scheduled day off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D

darzil

That'd only be the cause if you were playiing on the US Servers.

Darzil

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom